Ozzie STILL might not come back

mr_genius

According to a certain article that appeared in the Chicago Tribune before the ALDS, the elementary school near the Cell has Jerry Manual painted on the wall of their library saying "I see greatness in you".

They'd like to see him back. Personally, I gotta disagree with them on that one.

Edited by Antonio Osuna

Yeah, I'd take Lou, but um, hopefully u guys aren't forgetting Ozzie is a HUGE reason for this team being where it is today. I was thinking "Hey, maybe the Sox might become the big dogs of the AL in the future now." If Ozzie goes, I see that idea becoming faint.

Edited by TheBigHurt

I am calling it BS. There's no way he leaves if we win it all. He is gonna own Chicago and can become more of a legend in Venezuela if he keeps on going. I don't know I just think it's bs. I really don't think he will leave Chicago, he loves the organization and can continue to be a leader of Venezuela if he can help us get to the postseason repeatedly.

Not only that but I really think the players will convince him to stay if he really does have thoughts of leaving.

I gotta believe he will come back, but isnt sweet lou available?

If we hadn't known he was available to take a coaching job before the first playoff game where he was in the broadcast booth, he and his pals made sure we were made aware during it. Shameless lobbying during the telecast.

I will say, however, I was amazed at how good Lou cleaned up. A shave and a jacket suited him real nicely.

QUOTE(Sox Hustler @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 04:58 PM)
I am calling it BS. There's no way he leaves if we win it all. He is gonna own Chicago and can become more of a legend in Venezuela if he keeps on going. I don't know I just think it's bs. I really don't think he will leave Chicago, he loves the organization and can continue to be a leader of Venezuela if he can help us get to the postseason repeatedly.

Not only that but I really think the players will convince him to stay if he really does have thoughts of leaving.

I am kinda thinkin the same thing you are.

Anything is possible when it comes to Oz.

Maybe he's seen how no one is exempt from ultra-harsh treatment, both from media and fans, and he'd rather bail after he does something that no one's done in 88 years. It would cement his legendary status. Win the whole f***ing thing and just walk - pretty beautiful, when you think about it. "Nothing left to do HERE.....g'bye....."

After all, media dolts always suggest that someone should "go out on top", and even bashed Michael Jordan without mercy for "hanging around too long". Forget the fact that he was the driving force behind the greatest dynasty this city will likely ever see. Didn't protect him from derision and mockery.

I know I'D seriously consider walking away if my finances and outside ambitions were in line with it.

Edited by The Critic

QUOTE(The Critic @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 05:29 PM)
Anything is possible when it comes to Oz.

Maybe he's seen how no one is exempt from ultra-harsh treatment, both from media and fans, and he'd rather bail after he does something that no one's done in 88 years. It would cement his legendary status. Win the whole f***ing thing and just walk - pretty beautiful, when you think about it. "Nothing left to do HERE.....g'bye....."

After all, media dolts always suggest that someone should "go out on top", and even bashed Michael Jordan without mercy for "hanging around too long". Forget the fact that he was the driving force behind the greatest dynasty this city will likely ever see. Didn't protect him from derision and mockery.

I know I'D seriously consider walking away if my finances and outside ambitions were in line with it.

I dunno man, I mean I would think age plays a part, no? How can u say someone is "hanging around too long" when he is only 41 years old? O_o

QUOTE(TheBigHurt @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 05:41 PM)
I dunno man, I mean I would think age plays a part, no? How can u say someone is "hanging around too long" when he is only 41 years old? O_o

How old was Jordan when he retired? The FINAL time, I mean...

:P

I guess it wouldn't be about age for a manager. The talk would be that "Ozzie's act got old" or "he lost his team" or "the Sox need a stable, low-key manager" or some other such bulls***.

Edited by The Critic

QUOTE(TheBigHurt @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 06:41 PM)

If the Sox go back to being an annual runner up, then Ozzie is ripped into for being a bad manager.

He goes out now...he never EVER has to deal with that.

Personally, I'd still have to see it to believe it. You have to remember 2 things. 1) Anyone can make a statement like that, being 99% sure that it won't be an immediate issue. Fortunately for us, the 1% chance came true. Now I don't recall exactly when Ozzie made that statement, but it sure as hell wasn't when the Sox were a stone's throw from a World Series, and 2) Ozzie is such a competitor. After this season, it's in his blood. I say he stays.

But hell, I've been wrong before.

QUOTE(Mercy! @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 06:06 PM)
If we hadn't known he was available to take a coaching job before the first playoff game where he was in the broadcast booth, he and his pals made sure we were made aware during it.  Shameless lobbying during the telecast.

I will say, however, I was amazed at how good Lou cleaned up.  A shave and a jacket suited him real nicely.

We talk about Lou Pinella like he's Shooter from Hoosiers or something.

QUOTE(SpringfieldFan @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 12:38 AM)
Oz made the statement during the depths of that August/Sept freefall, but then didn't discount it when interviewed on the Score the day after game 1.  If he goes, how about Cooper for manager?

SFF

I don't think so. Cooper is not that type of guy, but maybe I'm wrong.

QUOTE(Antonio Osuna @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 04:48 PM)
According to a certain article that appeared in the Chicago Tribune before the ALDS, the elementary school near the Cell has Jerry Manual painted on the wall of their library saying "I see greatness in you".

They'd like to see him back. Personally, I gotta disagree with them on that one.

He signed a baseball of mine with, "God sees greatness in you." Needless to say, the autograph faded off the baseball.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 04:43 PM)
If the Sox go back to being an annual runner up, then Ozzie is ripped into for being a bad manager.

He goes out now...he never EVER has to deal with that.

On the other hand though...even if he keeps winning, there will be people who complain about him being a bad manager.

On the other hand, there will be far, far more people who would be willing to bow down and wash his feet if he wins us 2 more games.

I'm not sure which is better in terms of your stature/legacy: to win a championship and then retire or to win and then fade away.

Consider Phil Jackson vs. Ditka. Ditka won a single SuperBowl and in reality should have one at least more considering the talent on his team. Jackson won 6 NBA titles with the Bulls. It isn't too far-fetched to say that even with the talent on the Bulls, that they would not have won all 6 without Jackson (just consider how he turned former bad boy Dennis Rodman into a key contributor, despite some severe animosity between him and MJ/Pippen). Both coached again in other cities, Jackson was more successful, winning two more championships.

That said, in Chicago, Ditka leaves Jackson far in his shadown in terms of popularity.

I have no idea where Ozzie would be placed in the Panthenon, whether he wins the ..., loses, retires after this season, or manages for another 10 years.

I think that with the press coverage Ozzie is getting this postseason, he's rapidly being built into an icon in Chicago. And 2 more wins will absolutely cement that.

If he were to walk away, there's a chance that over time, some of what he did will gradually start to fade away into the mists of history. But in my book, right now he's on the verge of earning a free pass from me for whatever crazy move he might make or thing he might say for the next few years. That's got to count for something.