Biggest homer in Chicago history?

fathom

it absolutely without a doubt has to be Paul Konerkos slammy.

at the time we were losing. we always lose every year. we never finish the season a winner. every season ends in disappointment.

which means that nobody has ever come up and delivered to get us over "the we are losing and ultimately going to lose again" hump.

my philosophy in friends is to find someone who will pick you up when you are down. somebody who will really go to battle for you. well PKs HR was the turnaround moment for the WhiteSox org all the way down to the casual fan. he proved that he can pick us up when we are all down & in this case dire straits of losing. thank golly PK decided in his previous at bat to stop taking the first pitch strikes. & also that meathead ausmus missed that part and called for a heater right down the middle.

i will never forget that moment. i have never been outside of myself other than that moment in my life. i dont even remember anything but just being absolutely lost in joy! not to mention relieved of all the years of frustration of losing and being shut out by the media.

QUOTE(MinnySoxFan @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 06:55 PM)
Konerko's was pretty clutch too.

Very true. Kong's will quickly be forgotten when they show WS highlights in the future in place of Pods walkoff. However, Kong's HR was absolutely huge. Pods' would have never had the chance, if Kong didn't come through earlier.

Ha, I actually liked PK's homer more than Pods from a pure fan perspective because it was as clutch as can be by someone who's struggled for a long time in those situations. The Pods homer seemed more surreal, as even though he crushed it off the bat, you never know how the ball will travel off of his bat. Those two, along with Crede's walk-off vs the Indians, Frank's walk-off vs the Twins a few years ago, and CLee's walk-off slam vs the Cubs are my 5 favorite homers of all time.

I'm afraid I don't know the 1917 world series well enough to answer this question.

Some guy named Felsch homered for the White Sox in Game 1 of the 1917 series, which the Sox won 2-1. It was a solo shot.

That was the only HR the Sox hit in that series. No HRs were hit by either side in 1906.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 07:17 PM)
Very true.  Kong's will quickly be forgotten when they show WS highlights in the future in place of Pods walkoff.  However, Kong's HR was absolutely huge.  Pods' would have never had the chance, if Kong didn't come through earlier.

How many guys remember that Freddy Lynn and Bernie Carbo also homered in Carlton Fisk's 1975 WS walk off game?

QUOTE(TLAK @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 07:28 PM)
How many guys remember that Freddy Lynn and Bernie Carbo also homered in Carlton Fisk's 1975 WS walk off game?

I'm younger, but that's exactly the point. I don't know anything about those HRs before Fisk's. However, like every baseball fan, I know Fisk's shot.

QUOTE(Colorado Sox Fan @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 07:31 PM)
The biggest single moment in Chicago White Sox history.

Up to this point, I'd agree.

If they finish this deal off and win it all, I don't think people are going to remember Pods homer as the biggest single moment.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 05:34 PM)

If they finish this deal off and win it all, I don't think people are going to remember Pods homer as the biggest single moment.

Maybe not the single biggest moment...but if your if comes true...it'll be at least in the top 2-3 moments of this series, no matter what else happens.

Think about the other walk-off home runs in recent series history.

Fisk, game 6 75.

Gibson, game 1 88.

Puckett, game 6, 91.

Carter, game 6, 93

Jeter, game 4, 01.

Aside from the Jeter/01 case, where the biggest moment was clearly the defeat of Rivera, all of those ones would have the walk off be either the single biggest or 2nd biggest moment of the series.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 12:34 AM)

It depends on what happens. If these next few games are fairly insignificant in terms of events, the Pods homer is HUGE.

I do think that this series has some more memories waiting, however. That's what the END of October means.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 06:18 PM)
It depends on what happens.  If these next few games are fairly insignificant in terms of events, the Pods homer is HUGE.

I do think that this series has some more memories waiting, however.  That's what the END of October means.

Yeah, there are more memories waiting, but given that there's a walk off home run about every 5-10 years of world series play, the odds do say that it'll be a memory of a different sort than that. Especially since it would take it getting back to game 6-7 for us to have another walkoff.

Knowledgable Cub fans ( ;) ) and some baseball historians will argue that Gabby Hartnett's "Homer in the Gloamin'" is the biggest homer in the history of Chicago baseball. In the late season of 1938 Hartnett, then a player-manager I believe, hit a homer late in a game in near darkness (pre-lights at Wrigley) to catapult the Flubs to a pennant.

That said, I have to go with Konerko's homer. My son and I were so pissed off with the way the game was going and we had discussed an inning earlier how we needed Konerko to "do something". That it came in such dramatic fashion and on the first pitch, not to mention that it was a no-doubter which was absolutely crushed and simply turned the game around, giving the Sox new life, yeah I say it was Konerko's GRAND SLAM. :fthecubs :gosox1:

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 07:48 PM)
Maybe not the single biggest moment...but if your if comes true...it'll be at least in the top 2-3 moments of this series, no matter what else happens.

Think about the other walk-off home runs in recent series history.

Fisk, game 6 75.

Gibson, game 1 88.

Puckett, game 6, 91.

Carter, game 6, 93

Jeter, game 4, 01.

Aside from the Jeter/01 case, where the biggest moment was clearly the defeat of Rivera, all of those ones would have the walk off be either the single biggest or 2nd biggest moment of the series.

I notice a relative trend in all those homers, aside from probably Jeter's.

Fisk's sent the World Series to a game 7, and his wave and the East Coast s*** most certainly helps make that one memorable.

Puckett's sent the World Series to a game 7, and him fullfilling his pregame statements of carrying the team on his back came true.

Carter's homer won the Series.

Gibson's I single out because it was early in the series...much similar to Podsednik's. He hit it off of an "untouchable" closer, much like Pods. He was not a guy you thought you'd even see in the series, let alone hit a game winning homer, much like Pods(in regards to the homer...we knew we'd see him, just not the homer). That is probably as close at it gets as far as comparison is concerned.

So looking back...perhaps it could be the biggest moment in White Sox history. Then again, the last time the Dodgers had won the World Series was 81. The last time the Sox did it was 17. That's quite a bit of disparity, in my mind...so I view the Sox winning it as bigger...but Podsednik's homer could very well turn out to be the biggest single at bat in White Sox history...and I think that fits better too.