Wagner to test Free Agency

DBAHO

My money's on the Mets to really overpay here;

The Phillies were informed yesterday that Billy Wagner will test the free-agent market rather than accept the team's latest offer.

While the Philadelphia Daily News reported last week the Phillies' most recent offer to Wagner was worth $24 million over three years and included a no-trade clause, the Inquirer believes it was a two-year deal with an option for 2008 that could have brought the total package for $27 million. The Inquirer also believes that the Phillies didn't offer the no-trade clause that Wagner desires. It looks like the Mets will get to make the left-handed an offer. They will be among the strongest suitors in a group that could also include the Red Sox, Orioles, Braves and Mariners. Oct. 25 - 3:33 am et

I'm not sure that what teams will pay for Billy Wagner is really overpaying. Maybe the years scare you but he was as good as anyone this year. His numbers weren't that far off from Mo's. The Mets have such a short window with Floyd, Glavine, Pedro getting on in years that I think they need to go for it all now

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 09:12 AM)
I'm not sure that what teams will pay for Billy Wagner is really overpaying. Maybe the years scare you but he was as good as anyone this year. His numbers weren't that far off from Mo's. The Mets have such a short window with Floyd, Glavine, Pedro getting on in years that I think they need to go for it all now

Somehow, I'm always worried about guys like him...guys who throw that hard. It puts an enormous amount of strain on the joints in the arm. Think Gagne, Jenks. There's always a decent chance he won't be able to hold up under the stress of pitching like that for the next 3 years.

QUOTE(WHITESOXRANDY @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 12:10 PM)
Why pay # 10 mil. a year for an old closer. A team can pick a young one up that throws 100 mp with a wicked curve for nothing ?

haha. good point. I don't worry a whole lot about Wagner blwoing his arm out like Gagne or someone. He hasn't really had those issues and he's been around the block. His issues have been more along the lines of cranky groin muscles and whatnot. Wagner is kind of a diva but I think he would handle New York. Philly didn't hurt his performance. Can you say the same about BJ Ryan? I don't know. Younger guy, great stuff but you never know if a guy will be the next New York meltdown

QUOTE(WHITESOXRANDY @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 01:10 PM)
Why pay # 10 mil. a year for an old closer. A team can pick a young one up that throws 100 mp with a wicked curve for nothing ?

Billy Wagner...

2004 - 1.12 BB/9 in 48.1 IP

2005 - 2.32 BB/9 in 77.2 IP

Also, in that 04 campaign to make it so magnificent, he walked 6 guys. Some young relievers who throw in the 89-92 range walk 6 guys in 2 or 3 outings.

The fact that he's LH doesn't make it any easier on hitters...I honestly am not sure I can think of another LH reliever that throws it 100 off the top of my mind...95-98 range is easy to come up with. Wagner consistently throws it at 100 MPH.

I recall reading an article either after the 03 or 04 season in an ESPN the Magazine...something about how Wagner threw 50-100 pitches at or above 100 miles an hour, and the rest of the major leagues had about half that number.