Nobel Peace Prize Nominee Childrens Author

Texsox

CNN Linkage

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- A judge signed a death warrant Monday for Stanley "Tookie" Williams, a co-founder of the notorious Crips gang who was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize for his children's books.

Williams is scheduled to die December 13 at San Quentin prison. The judge rejected requests by his attorneys to delay the execution until December 22 to give them more time to seek clemency from Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Interesting life.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 10:26 AM)
Can we please stop referring to people as "Nobel Prize Nominees"?  I mean, in 2004 alone there were 173 nominees for that award.  Yeah, it's an honor, but it's not exactly the most exclusive group in history.

Its should be titled, Convicted murder and founder of one of the most violent gangs in the country.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 11:26 AM)
Can we please stop referring to people as "Nobel Prize Nominees"?  I mean, in 2004 alone there were 173 nominees for that award.  Yeah, it's an honor, but it's not exactly the most exclusive group in history.

Mine must have got lost in the mail that year. This year too. :D

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Oct 26, 2005 -> 12:28 PM)
and another reason for the abolishment of the death penalty. He's making a contribution writing children's books. Keep him in jail for life. Let him contribute something. So barbaric.

So barbaric?!!? Are you f***ing serious?!

A better question is why is trash like this allowed to live this long.

How many death is he responsible for both directly and indirectly through his activities?

How many people have been poisoned by drugs sold by his gang?

How many neighborhoods have been terrorizied by his gangs activities.

How much money has been spent by the government arresting and incarcerating his band of thugs?

Oh, but he wrote some childrens books!!!

f*** this guy. Bury him with those books of his and his little nomination.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Oct 26, 2005 -> 01:13 PM)
Oh, but he wrote some childrens books!!!

I'm pretty sure there is a lot more to this guy than some children's books. I think it's kind of dumb to make rash statements without really knowing the man. Apparently there's a movie about Tookie starring Jamie Foxx, I bet it's sympathetic!

The Crips were formed by Stanley "Tookie" Williams and Raymond Washington in 1971, after the two became fed up with random violence in their neighborhood.

was the founder, along with Raymond Washington, of the Crips, a Los Angeles, California youth protection organization that grew into one of the most widely-known and notorious street gangs.

Williams has written a series of children's books that have been popular around the world for their anti-violence message, and helped to broker a truce between the Bloods and the Crips.

thank you wikipedia

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Oct 26, 2005 -> 01:40 PM)
I'm pretty sure there is a lot more to this guy than some children's books.  I think it's kind of dumb to make rash statements without really knowing the man.  Apparently there's a movie about Tookie starring Jamie Foxx, I bet it's sympathetic!

thank you wikipedia

LMFAO! Rash statements huh?

This is soooooo typical. B-B-B-B-B-But dont kill him now!!! He did this!

I stand by what I said.

Edited by NUKE_CLEVELAND

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Oct 26, 2005 -> 12:13 PM)
So barbaric?!!?  Are you f***ing serious?!

completely serious. And I used to be a proponent of the death penalty. I saw no reason why some of these sub-human rapists, child molesters and murderers should live another day. But I think as a society we should hold ourselves to a higher moral standard than murder, and no matter how you cook it, execution is simply state sanctioned murder. I also read quite a bit about miscarriages of justice that have led to many, many innocent men being executed.

I've always believed we should lock them up in a hole somewhere without TV, weights or any human contact and pictures of their victims should paper their walls. Let them wish they were dead.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Oct 26, 2005 -> 03:28 PM)
completely serious. And I used to be a proponent of the death penalty. I saw no reason why some of these sub-human rapists, child molesters and murderers should live another day. But I think as a society we should hold ourselves to a higher moral standard than murder, and no matter how you cook it, execution is simply state sanctioned murder. I also read quite a bit about miscarriages of justice that have led to many, many innocent men being executed.

I've always believed we should lock them up in a hole somewhere without TV, weights or any human contact and pictures of their victims should paper their walls. Let them wish they were dead.

With all the direct and indirect victims of this guys activities he'd need one pretty large cell to have room for all those pictures.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Oct 26, 2005 -> 02:45 PM)
LMFAO!  Rash statements huh? 

This is soooooo typical.  B-B-B-B-B-But dont kill him now!!!  He did this!

I stand by what I said.

Glad to see you trust the government to kill citizens. Equally interesting that we used Iraq's use of the death penalty as justification to take over their country.

I don't trust our justice system enough to allow humans to be put to death. There have been too many mistakes both in innocent people being found guilty and guilty people going free. It isn't a deterrent, doesn't save money, doesn't bring back the victims.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 27, 2005 -> 05:26 PM)
Glad to see you trust the government to kill citizens. Equally interesting that we used Iraq's use of the death penalty as justification to take over their country.

I don't trust our justice system enough to allow humans to be put to death. There have been too many mistakes both in innocent people being found guilty and guilty people going free. It isn't a deterrent, doesn't save money, doesn't bring back the victims.

You know why it isin't a deterrent? Its a joke in its current form. It takes at least 7-8 years to kill someone after they've been sentenced. Thats rediculous. The appeals process needs to be drastically curtailed so vermin like the one this thread is originally about dont get to live off the taxpayers dime for all those years.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Oct 30, 2005 -> 02:06 AM)
You know why it isin't a deterrent?  Its a joke in its current form.  It takes at least 7-8 years to kill someone after they've been sentenced.  Thats rediculous.  The appeals process needs to be drastically curtailed so vermin like the one this thread is originally about dont get to live off the taxpayers dime for all those years.

You really think gangbangers and drug dealers don't put their life on the line almost everyday anyways?

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Oct 30, 2005 -> 03:06 AM)
You know why it isin't a deterrent?  Its a joke in its current form.  It takes at least 7-8 years to kill someone after they've been sentenced.  Thats rediculous.  The appeals process needs to be drastically curtailed so vermin like the one this thread is originally about dont get to live off the taxpayers dime for all those years.

Could it be that drug dealers and similar already have a death sentence, gangs are a violent world and they already have gotten over the fear of dying. A rival dealer or gang could kill them at anytime as they walk down the street or sleep in their beds.

Could it be that people who commit crimes of passion, killing wives, husbands, rivals etc. aren't thinking straight?

Who here isn't killing someone because of the punishment? Describe to me the person who would kill someone, but they are worried about the death penalty? Gee, I'd would murder someone if it meant life in prison, but not if it meant the death penalty?

As far as cost, it costs about the same to house a murderer as an embezzler. If cost is such an issue, why build prisons? Our society has decided that we would punish criminals by locking them up and punish the tax payers by making them pay for it. I feel a lot better about housing a murderer than housing a 3-time car thief for life or a hooker for 60 days. We are spending way more tax dollars housing low level drug related criminals than murderers. Murderer are a tiny drop in the bucket in the total expenses for our prison system.

Once our government devalues life, the citizens do to. Texas puts to death more people than any other state, in some years, more than all the others combined. Y'all think of Texas as the safest state to live? Why hasn't the murder rate in Texas declined when once a week Ol' Sparky is fired up and frying someone?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 27, 2005 -> 06:26 PM)

That's it Tex, I'm calling the Comittee of un-Texan Activites on you!

Edited by farmteam

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 30, 2005 -> 06:23 AM)
Could it be that drug dealers and similar already have a death sentence, gangs are a violent world and they already have gotten over the fear of dying. A rival dealer or gang could kill them at anytime as they walk down the street or sleep in their beds.

Could it be that people who commit crimes of passion, killing wives, husbands, rivals etc. aren't thinking straight?

Who here isn't killing someone because of the punishment? Describe to me the person who would kill someone, but they are worried about the death penalty? Gee, I'd would murder someone if it meant life in prison, but not if it meant the death penalty?

As far as cost, it costs about the same to house a murderer as an embezzler. If cost is such an issue, why build prisons? Our society has decided that we would punish criminals by locking them up and punish the tax payers by making them pay for it. I feel a lot better about housing a murderer than housing a 3-time car thief for life or a hooker for 60 days. We are spending way more tax dollars housing low level drug related criminals than murderers. Murderer are a tiny drop in the bucket in the total expenses for our prison system.

Once our government devalues life, the citizens do to. Texas puts to death more people than any other state, in some years, more than all the others combined. Y'all think of Texas as the safest state to live? Why hasn't the murder rate in Texas declined when once a week Ol' Sparky is fired up and frying someone?

Its funny how you allude to the 3 strikes laws in your post as the 3 strikes for more minor felonies have been a huge factor in the dramatic drop in crime which has occured since the early 1990's. Indeed locking up people for a long period for multiple minor offenses has the effect of serving as a strong deterrent from committing more of those offenses, but in getting them off the streets it keeps them from graduating to far more serious crimes as happens so often with repeat offenders.

Tex. With reference to the death penalty. If it was imposed in a uniform manner ( say everyone guilty of Murder 1, Rape and Child Molestation ) and the sentences were carried out swiftly ( lets say within a year at the very most ) then there would be a true deterrent effect on serious crimes.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 27, 2005 -> 05:26 PM)

So you would rather a form of justice that allows monsters like John Wayne Gacy to still sit in his cell, painting his clown art, sending his perverse letters to the families of the victims. I am pretty convinced that he was guilty. And if you dont believe it, maybe you can figure out where the 28 bodies appeared in his crawl space. Or the victims rings, necklaces why they were up on his dresser like a trophycase. Some of these monsters are guilty, and some of them should be killed. What we should do is work better on the science of forensics to help guard against evidence issues, and work on the appeals process so attorneys do not have the ability to scratch this out for decades.

And as for the detterent value, I am sure that Gacy is no longer a threat to anymore teenagers.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Oct 30, 2005 -> 04:47 PM)
So you would rather a form of justice that allows monsters like John Wayne Gacy to still sit in his cell, painting his clown art, sending his perverse letters to the families of the victims.  I am pretty convinced that he was guilty.  And if you dont believe it, maybe you can figure out where the 28 bodies appeared in his crawl space.  Or the victims rings, necklaces why they were up on his dresser like a trophycase.  Some of these monsters are guilty, and some of them should be killed.  What we should do is work better on the science of forensics to help guard against evidence issues, and work on the appeals process so attorneys do not have the ability to scratch this out for decades.   

And as for the detterent value, I am sure that Gacy is no longer a threat to anymore teenagers.

If the life of a human being is sacred, there are no asterisks.

And as for the deterrent value, I'm sure that Gacy wouldn't have been a threat to teenagers locked in a prison either.