Anybody admitting to listening to Journey???

Kid Gleason

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 10:43 AM)
I bought the greatest hits CD back in 1991 after spring break.  We went to Daytona Beach and for some reason everyone we ran into from other states loved journey.  It became like our theme from spring break.  I haven't listened to them in years though....

On a side note I saw a cover band ARRA and their lead singer sounded exactly like Steve Perry.

haha I found their website and they have mp3's on there..one of them is

"Don't Stop Believing"

ARRA

IIRC, sometime in the mid 90's Steve Perry went solo and the group replaced him with a guy that looked and sounded almost exactly like him.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 11:32 AM)
He won't play with Journey for sure, but he still has contacts, and as was pointed out earlier here, there are TONS of cover/tribute bands out there to help. Not so sure as to how much of a "shut-in" he has become, as much as a seriously pissed off guy.

Yeah, I suppose you're right. He's just shyed away from the public after getting shafted as bad as he did. Shut-in may be going a bit far. There is some SERIOUS bad blood though between him and his fellow bandmates though...it leaks out in interviews in a serious way.

But, you have to admit the guy went up to his home in the hills of SF and hasn't been seen much since.

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 11:32 AM)
IIRC, sometime in the mid 90's Steve Perry went solo and the group replaced him with a guy that looked and sounded almost exactly like him.

Actually, he looks exactly like Kenny G. :lol:

Maybe, Kenny G meets Scott Stapp.

But, you're right. He sounds a lot like Perry.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 12:25 PM)
Ya know, people were saying they should have played at some point during the series. But I have a crisp $10 to bet that if the Sox win it all, we will see Perry perform at the celebration.

It would be hilarious, if this thing somehow revived his career. Kinda like what 'Pulp Fiction' did for Travolta.

The Perry '06 Tour, complete with tight, boot cut jeans, black thick soled suede shoes, long feathered hair and a concert baseball jersey with gray sleeves.

Hey, I just had a Halloween costume idea.:headbang

I saw them live a couple times, the most recent maybe 15 years ago at Rosemont. Great show, they are much better live than recorded. Maybe it's the over produced sounds, but I also enjoyed ELP, ELO, and others that had lots of production values. I was a HS student in the 70s and Listened to all things on radio land. Pink Floyd to Billy Joel and never worried about what was cool and what wasn't. I couldn't name all the members of Zepplin, but I owned all their albums. Yes vinyl pressed recordings. I remember going to 8-tracks. I was a huge fan of The Who and Chicago. Now I stretch from Opera to Country, from some of my son's indie tracks, to classical. Everything in it's time and place.

I wish I could remember when my kids were conceived, I guess I got laid more than y'all. :P

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 11:34 AM)
Yeah, I suppose you're right.  He's just shyed away from the public after getting shafted as bad as he did.  Shut-in may be going a bit far.  There is some SERIOUS bad blood though between him and his fellow bandmates though...it leaks out in interviews in a serious way.

But, you have to admit the guy went up to his home in the hills of SF and hasn't been seen much since.

Yeah, but look at how the media is reacting to the Sox using the song. They are being laughed at. Imagine yourself in his position. Once you ruled the world, sold out stadiums all over the world for years. Then one day, after your band falls apart and your solo career fails, you suddenly become a punchline. The man was damn near a God in the late 70's/early 80's. Everything he did turned to platinum. "Oh Serry" was a HUGE hit, and not a terrible song in all honesty, and now VH1, the station that is supposed to treat the old classic bands with respect, has it on a "list show" mocking your vocal performance on it. I understand 100% why the guy would vanish. He shows up now, because here is a baseball team (he is a baseball fan) using it as a "build up" song. It started as a joke, sure, but now you have AJ and the team defending it. I would be surprised if he didn't do it at a celebration in Chicago. He will be there, that is almost for sure.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 11:41 AM)
Ummmm, the reality version of Rockstar is called Judas Priest, which is what the movie was based on.

Originally, I think it was actually going to be a documentary of sorts on Priest, but Halford and company nixed it.

I may be wrong.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 12:40 PM)
Yeah, but look at how the media is reacting to the Sox using the song. They are being laughed at. Imagine yourself in his position. Once you ruled the world, sold out stadiums all over the world for years. Then one day, after your band falls apart and your solo career fails, you suddenly become a punchline. The man was damn near a God in the late 70's/early 80's. Everything he did turned to platinum. "Oh Serry" was a HUGE hit, and not a terrible song in all honesty, and now VH1, the station that is supposed to treat the old classic bands with respect, has it on a "list show" mocking your vocal performance on it. I understand 100% why the guy would vanish. He shows up now, because here is a baseball team (he is a baseball fan) using it as a "build up" song. It started as a joke, sure, but now you have AJ and the team defending it. I would be surprised if he didn't do it at a celebration in Chicago. He will be there, that is almost for sure.

I'd be laughing my way to the bank.....unless he put all his loot up his nose.

Add Scoop Jackson to the list of people digging Journey:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...=jackson/051024

I never thought I would appreciate his articles as much as I have his last two entries.

For those with a keen eye there is one error in his article...so I'll buy a cookie to the first person to find what I'm talking about :P

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 11:43 AM)
Originally, I think it was actually going to be a documentary of sorts on Priest, but Halford and company nixed it.

I may be wrong.

Not a documentary, but done more faithful to what really happened. KK and Glenn were on board as consultants for a bit of time, but then bailed as they didn't like what was going on with it.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 12:47 PM)
Add Scoop Jackson to the list of people digging Journey:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...=jackson/051024

I never thought I would appreciate his articles as much as I have his last two entries.

For those with a keen eye there is one error in his article...so I'll buy a cookie to the first person to find what I'm talking about :P

Paulie talked about how he didn't "feel good at the plate" all night long, and how Lidge just happened to pitch the ball where he was looking.

Hrmph. I do wonder if enough dough was thrown at Perry he would consider reuniting with Schon and co. for a tour. I have to think if the price was right he would actually do it.

There was some undeniably great talent in that group. Perry had to be considered one of the stronger vocalists from that era--up there with Mercury and co. I would guess. Aynsley Dubar was a very talented drummer and Neal Schon was in Santana at the age of 17 for crissakes.

Um... :gosox1: :lol: :lol:

I had Journey's Escape and Greatest Hits on vinyl back in the mid-80's. Don't Stop Believin' was a great one. "Lights" was great, "Wheel in the Sky" "Seperate Ways," etc.

Like all of the other South Suburban kids, I was pretty in to classic rock, the Loop, etc. I had Bad Company, Led Zeppelin, Steve Miller Band, Kansas, Boston, the whole 9 yards.

Drove one of my college roommates (1990) crazy when I would play Legend of Zelda all night on Nintendo with the earphones on, saying "Another Classic Rock Album!!" every time I popped in a new CD.

Then I was in a fraternity brother's room when "Smells Like Teen Spirit" came on the radio. That was the end of classic rock for me.

Actually it was the flooding of the market that killed the "arena rock"/"big hair'/pseudo-Glam bands. Once bands like Wildside were signed and good bands like Kik Tracee were forced to change their sounds, and a million clones of Bon Jovi and Poison were signed, it was all over. Same thing that eventually became of Grunge. Once a style, no matter how respected, gets flooded into the market, it will die. It has happened now to Nu Metal and the new Emo Punk bands.

Though Jani lane talks about walking into his record company, standing in the waiting room, and there where once hung a HUGE picture of Warrants "Dirty Rotten" album cover was now a HUGE picture of Alice In Chains "Facelift" and he says "at that moment I knew the music scene was about to change, and we were doomed".

Some facts to set the record straight:

* Perry was not going solo in the mid 90s IIRC. He was set to go with Journey, then claimed he couldn't go because of personal reasons and because of a bad hip, and then Schon and Cain (along with Valory and Smith) decided to go on without him. It was a parallel situation to what happened in Styx with DeYoung and his replacement.

* Randy Jackson, the african-american judge from American Idol, played bass on Journey's 1986 Raised on Radio tour after they threw out Valory and Smith. I believe he sported a pink polka-dot bass.

* Say what you will about Perry's voice but "Don't Stop Believin'" has an impressive melody and arrangement for a 3-4 minute pop song. They have several worthwhile albums. Schon and Rollie's prodigious past with Santana, Cain's resume, and Dunbar credentials ought to be enough for any music fan to take them seriously beyond the fact that the lead singer sounds like a Eunich.