Anybody admitting to listening to Journey???

Kid Gleason

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A woman I knew actually married Steve Smith, Journey's drummer when it mattered. I actually went backstage at a concert years ago with the band and Steve previewed the Frontiers album at our home before it was released. Kind of crazy but true. Before the insults start, I played guitar in a heavy metal band in high school and I was very briefly in a band with James Iha who went to the same high school as I did. I'm not normally one for name-dropping but what the hell...

And, yes, Cain, Shon and other bandmates are very worthy of acclaim. They are fabulous musicians, whether you like their music or not. Shon played at Woodstock with Santana when he was 16 years old.

QUOTE(knightni @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 01:37 PM)
I own the box set. It has three CDs all the way back to before Perry joined.

I sing along because it keeps my voice in shape, ever since I left my voice classes in college.

Yes, I can sing as high as he can.

Gee sorry knight, all this time I thought you were a man

I actually have respect for any group that can sell that many albums. IMHO, it is easier to "find your own sound" and "stay true to what you believe" etc. than go record a song that 25,000,000 people will sing on their way to work.

I've been listening to Dont' stop believing pretty constantly. . .

Other than that I really dont' know any Journey songs (maybe Open Arms, but that's more because Mariah Carey covered it when I was in junior high. . .).

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 04:23 PM)
I've been listening to Dont' stop believing pretty constantly. . .

Other than that I really dont' know any Journey songs (maybe Open Arms, but that's more because Mariah Carey covered it when I was in junior high. . .).

Her version sucks, IMO.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Oct 26, 2005 -> 09:59 AM)
I have my Queen "Greatest Hits" cd on right now to prime myself for singing "WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS" several hundred times in the next week with groups of strangers.  The song brings a tear of joy to my eye that it is FINALLY going to happen. :crying

HUGE Queen fan here. Grew up on them, they were my first "obsession" in the music world, used to do "air guitar" (with a real guitar though) and think I was Brian May all the time.

But honestly, I detest that f***ing song. It bugs me that is the song everybody plays by them. Terrible friggin' song. There, after all these 30 years, I can finally admit that. Phew...I feel better now.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Oct 26, 2005 -> 12:09 PM)
How cool would it be if Journey preformed it at Grant Park?

if that happend i wouldnt be surprised since they were at all the the world series games so far. but that would be just awsome. especially as a surprise visit without even knowing.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Oct 26, 2005 -> 10:32 AM)
HUGE Queen fan here. Grew up on them, they were my first "obsession" in the music world, used to do "air guitar" (with a real guitar though) and think I was Brian May all the time.

But honestly, I detest that f***ing song. It bugs me that is the song everybody plays by them. Terrible friggin' song. There, after all these 30 years, I can finally admit that. Phew...I feel better now.

Interesting tidbit: there is not one piece of true percussion in that song. What you hear is just random stomping and clapping made by the members of the group--I believe in a warehouse or something like that.

EDIT: Also, agreed. Give me "Killer Queen" "A Kind of Magic" "I Want to Break Free", or even something like "I Want It All." Sorry, though, love Rhapsody.

Edited by AddisonStSox

QUOTE(Johnny @ Oct 26, 2005 -> 12:32 PM)
if that happend i wouldnt be surprised since they were at all the the world series games so far. but that would be just awsome. especially as a surprise visit without even knowing.

I would be extraordinarily suprised, because Steve Perry hasn't performed with Journey in well over ten years and by all indications, they do not want him back.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Oct 26, 2005 -> 12:41 PM)
Interesting tidbit: there is not one piece of true percussion in that song.  What you hear is just random stomping and clapping made by the members of the group--I believe in a warehouse or something like that.

technically speaking, the piano is a percussion instrument. :)