It's like I'm Watching Another Team

SouthSidePride05

For some reason, i'ts almost like I'm watching another team, and this unbelievable team isn't the team I've been following for years. In September, every game involved panic attacks, my heart pounding out of my chest, biting my fingernails, pulling my hair out, and yelling at the top of my lungs. I thought when they make the playoffs, I might have a heart attack watching the games.

On Sunday, when Paulie hit that grand slam, I didn't even flinch, my heart didn't skip a beat, I didn't yell, I was almost slightly uncomfortable, like I was either numb or watching a team from Atlanta win Game 2 of the World Series. I see Sox fans going wild on tv, mobbing the cameras outside the Cell, and it's like I'm watching fans in some other city going crazy for their team. What the hell's going on??

For some reason, i'ts almost like I'm watching another team, and this unbelievable team isn't the team I've been following for years.  In September, every game involved panic attacks, my heart pounding out of my chest, biting my fingernails, pulling my hair out, and yelling at the top of my lungs.  I thought when they make the playoffs, I might have a heart attack watching the games. 

On Sunday, when Paulie hit that grand slam, I didn't even flinch, my heart didn't skip a beat, I didn't yell, I was almost slightly uncomfortable, like I was either numb or watching a team from Atlanta win Game 2 of the World Series.  I see Sox fans going wild on tv, mobbing the cameras outside the Cell, and it's like I'm watching fans in some other city going crazy for their team.  What the hell's going on??

there's somethin' happen' here...what it is ain't exactly clear...

I totally know what you are going through. through out the regular season I lived and died with the sox. People wouldnt talk to me after a loss because I was soooo pissed. But now I have very little emotion good or bad after a game. It may because I fed off hawk and his emotion or that I am surrounded by cubs fans up here in Deerfield and very few people are watching or live the sox. i think that maybe our bodies are setting up a defense mechanism to keep us from getting hurt if the sox lose. Our bodies are keeping us from getting to high when we win and to low if we lose. It also has to do with our surroundings. I was at game 2 of the ALCS and I have never screamed so loudly and cheer so much in my life. But on sunday I just pumped a fist when pods hit the homer. IT is very strange, thats for sure.

QUOTE(SoxPhan7 @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 12:03 PM)
i think that maybe our bodies are setting up a defense mechanism to keep us from getting hurt if the sox lose. Our bodies are keeping us from getting to high when we win and to low if we lose.

I have to believe your right.

Although, I was going crazy at the game after both Pauly and Pods homers.

QUOTE(SoxPhan7 @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 12:03 PM)
I totally know what you are going through. through out the regular season I lived and died with the sox. People wouldnt talk to me after a loss because I was soooo pissed. But now I have very little emotion good or bad after a game. It may because I fed off hawk and his emotion or that I am surrounded by cubs fans up here in Deerfield and very few people are watching or live the sox. i think that maybe our bodies are setting up a defense mechanism to keep us from getting hurt if the sox lose. Our bodies are keeping us from getting to high when we win and to low if we lose. It also has to do with our surroundings. I was at game 2 of the ALCS and I have never screamed so loudly and cheer so much in my life. But on sunday I just pumped a fist when pods hit the homer. IT is very strange, thats for sure.

The same thing is happening to me. I don't know what's going on.

I am still trying to figure out where this offense was all year long. If they hit like this during the season we would of won like 120 games. I knew the pitching would be good enough to get us in, I highly doubted our offense would be good enough. Thank god I was wrong.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 02:09 PM)
I am still trying to figure out where this offense was all year long.  If they hit like this during the season we would of won like 120 games.  I knew the pitching would be good enough to get us in, I highly doubted our offense would be good enough.  Thank god I was wrong.

Who knows where we would be right now with a 120 win season. The Indians would have never mattered. The Sox would have slept walk into the postseason without any kind of challenge or wake-up calls.

Sure, you can call me an optimist for trying to put a positive spin on the "collapse," but I think it was good for this club.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 12:34 PM)
Who knows where we would be right now with a 120 win season.  The Indians would have never mattered.  The Sox would have slept walk into the postseason without any kind of challenge or wake-up calls. 

Sure, you can call me an optimist for trying to put a positive spin on the "collapse," but I think it was good for this club.

I could care less whether we won 89, 120, 99, 161, or 3 games all year, as long as we win the next 2.

If we win...then I don't know if the collapse was a good thing or a bad thing, all i know is that it worked.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 02:37 PM)
I could care less whether we won 89, 120, 99, 161, or 3 games all year, as long as we win the next 2.

If we win...then I don't know if the collapse was a good thing or a bad thing, all i know is that it worked.

Exactly. I just want to see us get those 2, and I'll never be happier.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 01:34 PM)
Who knows where we would be right now with a 120 win season.  The Indians would have never mattered.  The Sox would have slept walk into the postseason without any kind of challenge or wake-up calls. 

I have to agree.

That was the only thing I was hanging my hat on during that God-awful stretch in September. That maybe, hopefully, having to play games that meant something in late September would get this team ready for battle.

The irony is, IMO, it wasn't the struggle that got them rolling, it was the release, the "breathing out", after they clinched that got them going again. They were able to relax, be themselves, take their eyes off the rear view mirror and just play.

I feel the same way, and here's what I think:

The problem is that World Series are played by two teams that are not in Chicago and certainly aren't the White Sox. What's going on now is the total opposite of everything I have ever seen and known and I can't explain it.

QUOTE(G&T @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 03:07 PM)
I feel the same way, and here's what I think:

The problem is that World Series are played by two teams that are not in Chicago and certainly aren't the White Sox. What's going on now is the total opposite of everything I have ever seen and known and I can't explain it.

Well put, G&T.

My feelings defy explanation, but I will try anyway. They are still the same Sox to me, but are the culmination of everything they were supposed to be. The Series itself, though, all feels so surreal, so different. I can tell myself that it is the same event that all teams and fans take part in, but this time it seems beyond that. Perhaps it is the freaky breaks, perhaps it is the long an suffering wait, perhaps it is the love affair-like joy in Chicago now, perhaps it is even Mrs. Clemens' deathbead invokation of Shoeless Joe. Maybe it is all of that and more, but it really feels like there is an invisible hand writing a special story for the ages. I am not saying I believe there are supernatural forces at play, but it just feels that way.

SFF