Neither Sox or Astors get any Love

Linnwood

Series Ratings Worst Ever

Combined Wire Services

October 25 2005

Ratings for the first two World Series games are lower than the opening pair in 2002, when baseball's championship drew its lowest ratings ever.

Sunday night's Fox broadcast of the White Sox's 7-6 victory over the Astros drew 11.1 percent of the 110.2 million U.S. households with televisions, according to Nielsen Media Research Inc.

Combined with a Game 1's 9.5 rating, also a White Sox victory, the first two games averaged 10.3 percent of viewers, compared to 10.7 percent in 2002, when the Angels played the Giants.

Last year's opening two games between the Red Sox and Cardinals averaged 14.7 percent, while the Yankees and Marlins drew 11.8 percent to start the 2003 World Series. Last year's World Series - a sweep by the Red Sox - had the best ratings since 1999.

The Trib had a bit more of a positive spin on things:

Fox gets a prime-time win

By Ed Sherman

October 25, 2005

The drama at 35th and Shields competed nicely with the drama on Wisteria Lane on Sunday.

Game 2 of the White Sox-Houston series averaged an 11.1 national rating and 17 share on Fox; 1 ratings point is worth more than 1 million homes and a share is the percentage of televisions tuned into the telecast.

The series helped Fox win the night over ABC's powerful prime-time lineup.

"Desperate Housewives" did a 15.6 rating, beating the middle innings of the World Series. It is a bit of an apples-to-oranges comparison, since the game lasted more than three hours, while "Housewives" aired from 8 to 9 p.m. Also, the Series took viewers away from the ladies, as it was their lowest-rated episode of the season.

More important to Fox was its first Sunday night victory since the Super Bowl. According to the network, Fox averaged a 10.3 prime-time rating while ABC, which also has another hit show in "Grey's Anatomy," did a 10.2.

Nielsen Media Research estimates 41.5 million people watched at least part of Game 2. The key for Fox now is for the Astros to post a win or two to extend the Series to at least six games. That's when the big ratings kick in.

"The key to any successful Series is the number of games," said Dan Bell, Fox vice president of communications.

The Sox have other plans.

Locally the game did a 39.5 rating and 55 share on WFLD-Ch. 32, up from a 33 rating and 54 share on Saturday; 1 local ratings point is more than 34,000 homes.

The Chicago rating peaked at 47.7 at the end of the game. The local numbers are likely to get higher as the Series goes on.

Chicago trailed Houston, whose local Fox affiliate had a 41.3 rating. The Astros were big throughout Texas, posting a 19.9 rating in San Antonio and a 24.1 in Austin.

In other baseball towns, New York had an 11.6 rating; Boston, 12.2; Philadelphia, 8.6; and Atlanta 9.4.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 06:30 PM)
That's what happens when a team is steamrolling everyone.

Awesome, now let's go up 3-0 zip tonight so that there is ZERO interest in the rest of the series, then end it in 4.

its also what happens when teams play good baseball instead of just bad pitching and defense but they hit the crap out of the ball (yeah i'm talkin bout the red sox cardinals series)

i mean, that indians/marlins series in 97 was a great series...and it had really low ratings...

so i guess there just aren't a lot of real baseball fans, just soap opera hype fans.

QUOTE(bmags @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 01:42 PM)
its also what happens when teams play good baseball instead of just bad pitching and defense but they hit the crap out of the ball (yeah i'm talkin bout the red sox cardinals series)

i mean, that indians/marlins series in 97 was a great series...and it had really low ratings...

so i guess there just aren't a lot of real baseball fans, just soap opera hype fans.

As much as people b****ed about records being tainted by all the juicing, let's face it, fans dig offense and the long ball. They want the 15-12 slugfests and moon shot homers.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 06:44 PM)
As much as people b****ed about records being tainted by all the juicing, let's face it, fans dig offense and the long ball.  They want the 15-12 slugfests and moon shot homers.

hopefully 2 nights ago's game will get higher ratings...

actually i guess i really don't give a f*** to tell you the truth...i just hate the b****ing of the networks, you paid for the WS realizing that you might not always get the matchup you want...this isn't the superbowl with a guaranteed huge share, you still have to fight against primetime shows.

This might mean that more people are watching the games at bars, and their tvs at home are off.

Thousands of people in Houston watched on 1 giant screen in downtown, thousands of people in Chicago watched with other large crowds, and probably the same thing around the country.

Edited by SouthSidePride05

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 01:27 PM)
LOL!!! That's actually kind of funny! Living in the area, you would think the rest of the world had been put on hold and that there was nothing else on TV! But as it turns out, re-runs of Benny Hill might actually get more viewers. LOL!!!

Man I love watching Benny Hill reruns!!! Its on everyday from 6-7pm on BBCAmerica DirecTV channel 264!!!

QUOTE(bmags @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 01:46 PM)
hopefully 2 nights ago's game will get higher ratings...

actually i guess i really don't give a f*** to tell you the truth...i just hate the b****ing of the networks, you paid for the WS realizing that you might not always get the matchup you want...this isn't the superbowl with a guaranteed huge share, you still have to fight against primetime shows.

Amen....what a bunch of whiners!

How do they actually know who's watching...what homes?!? I've been watching and nobody f***in called me to find out! They just arbitrarily pull these numbers outta there ass based on calling "X" amount of homes I imagine.

Overall...I couldn't give a s*** less what the rest of the country is watching. Maybe that's why Fox is trying to push the "conspired bad calls" card. Maybe it's the sound of Joe Buck and McCarver's voice that turns off a national audience.

QUOTE(Wanne @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 02:13 PM)
How do they actually know who's watching...what homes?!?  I've been watching and nobody f***in called me to find out!  They just arbitrarily pull these numbers outta there ass based on calling "X" amount of homes I imagine.

They have boxes in homes of those that volunteer to be "Nielsen" registered that track viewing.

QUOTE(Steff @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 01:16 PM)
They have boxes in homes of those that volunteer to be "Nelson" registered that track viewing.

Well that doesn't sound very accurate in terms of knowing how many people are really watching. Do you know how many people that equates to Steff?

I never knew a Nielsen family either but I study this stuff and its pretty accurate. Pretty amazing actually. The flaws come more with children's programming, but Wes Mantooth probably already told you that! Isn't it amazing how much of a mainstream story the ratings are each year. Rob Neyer hit the nail on the head. Unless you are in the mlb higher office or with Fox-who gives a s***?

Seriously, who in the Hell actually cares what the MLB TV ratings are on FOX?

I understand in the NBA and NFL where they play far fewer games or in smaller venues that they have to rely heavily on the postseason ratings to determine where the salary cap falls.

But think about this...in MLB, there is no salary cap. Teams can spend as much as they want, if they pay the luxury tax. Furthermore, the main source of revenue is not going to be playoff TV dollars, it's going to be selling 35,000 seats (and an occasional hot dog) 81 times a year, or 87 times a year if you're the White Sox.

Nearly 75 million people went to baseball games this year. Up nearly 2 million over the previous record, set in 2004. That number will probably shoot upwards again next year just from selling more seats at the Cell and Minute Maid. The Mets are about to launch a new cable channel. The Angels are considering doing so. Revenue sharing is giving the smaller markets a chance to build teams if they use the money skillfully. New stadiums are popping up left and right. Washington D.C. is looking like a smashing success. Baseball is right now as healthy as it has been since before the Strike, maybe healtheir than it has ever been.

So seriously...who cares about TV ratings? The number in my living room is 100%, and that's just about all that I care about.

QUOTE(Wanne @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 02:23 PM)
Well that doesn't sound very accurate in terms of knowing how many people are really watching.  Do you know how many people that equates to Steff?

Off hand, nope. But let me look and see if I can find some info.

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 02:41 PM)
Steff,

Can you get me the location of a LaSalle Bank in Downers Grove?

Thanks

:D

Anything for the plushie... ;)

None actually IN DG...

La Salle Bank

(630) 241-6446 139 N Cass Ave

Westmont, IL Map 2.0

La Salle Bank

(630) 858-4800 22w151 Butterfield Rd

Glen Ellyn, IL Map 2.7

La Salle Home Mortgage

(630) 268-1178 Web Site 1901 S Meyers Rd