Cubs Fan's Heart Gives Out When Sox Win

rangercal

http://cbs2chicago.com/topstories/local_story_297185308.html

CBS) CHICAGO If memories are priceless, then White Sox fans who spent a bundle to see either Game 1 or Game 2, certainly got their money's worth. But nail-biting victories, although sweet, can be hard on your heart.

CBS 2' Sylvia Gomez found some startling proof.

"I seriously think that the White Sox going to the World Series gave my grandmother a heart attack," said Allena Harnish.

Meet Irene Egan. May she rest in peace. Until the day she died, this hard talking, hard living Irish broad loved the Cubs and so hated the Sox, that just two weeks ago said, ”If the Sox made it to the World Series it would be the end of her life," said Egan’s son, Allen Grove.

And it was. One week later, she was gone. The perfectly healthy woman was struck down by two heart attacks, two days after the Sox won the pennant. Her heart stomped on by Ozzie and his boys.

"The stress can be causing palpitations, blood pressure problems also,” said Dr. Masood Qazi, a cardiologist at Christ Hospital.

Qazi notes one Sox fan has already come in with an irregular heart beat.

Don't laugh. We wondered if a broken heart is catching. If the breathtaking up of Konerko's grand slam, followed by the nail-biting down of Jenk's melt down, against the heart stopping up of Podsednik's ninth inning home run might be bad for your health.

For different reasons it killed Egan.

But the game's not over yet, she was a woman with a strong will.

"If she has any say so in it, it's not happening for the Sox fans," Grove said.

Qazi advises all fans -- or anti-fans -- to stay calm. Keep the booze to a minimum and remember, it's just a game.

And for the those of you prone to excitement, keep those meds nearby.

I know there will be people who will think I'm a jerk for saying it, but I laughed when I read this. This woman has two heart attacks, and it's all blamed on the Sox getting to the World Series? :bang I find it hard to believe.

QUOTE(mkalk @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 01:47 PM)
I know there will be people who will think I'm a jerk for saying it, but I laughed when I read this. This woman has two heart attacks, and it's all blamed on the Sox getting to the World Series? :bang  I find it hard to believe.

and 'Ozzie and his boys stomped on her heart".....who OKs this crap before it gets printed?

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 02:35 PM)
thats really pathetic.  And it shows how unbelievably petty some cubs fans are.

You mean the media, right?

I saw the interview on tv and the family was making light of it, not laying blame. Sounded like a joke. Much different then the article appears to be portraying it.

QUOTE(Steff @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 02:41 PM)
You mean the media, right?

I saw the interview on tv and the family was making light of it, not laying blame. Sounded like a joke. Much different then the article appears to be portraying it.

No, the family.

There's no obligation to go on TV news. They chose to tell it that way.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 03:24 PM)
No, the family.

There's no obligation to go on TV news.  They chose to tell it that way.

The family told it with smiles on their faces. The print media is making it sound like they are blaming the Sox.

Didn't say anything about doing the interview, which I agree is stupid.. I was specific about how the story is being told.

QUOTE(Steff @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 03:25 PM)
The family told it with smiles on their faces. The print media is making it sound like they are blaming the Sox.

Didn't say anything about doing the interview, which I agree is stupid.. I was specific about how the story is being told.

The story is pathetic. It may have been told tongue in cheek by the family, but that article basically says this woman died because the Sox are going to the world series. I dont remember any tripe like that coming out in 2003 in the reverse direction.

Sure the media is pathetic to paint it that way, if the family didnt intend it to sound the way it does. But still, this is a story that didnt need to be told to anyone for any reason. Im sure there were plenty of elderly cubs fans who have passed away in the past 2 weeks, and none of their families went to the papers with it.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 03:39 PM)
The story is pathetic.  It may have been told tongue in cheek by the family, but that article basically says this woman died because the Sox are going to the world series.  I dont remember any tripe like that coming out in 2003 in the reverse direction.

Sure the media is pathetic to paint it that way, if the family didnt intend it to sound the way it does.  But still, this is a story that didnt need to be told to anyone for any reason.  Im sure there were plenty of elderly cubs fans who have passed away in the past 2 weeks, and none of their families went to the papers with it.

Like I said. The media printed the story with slant.