Could We Have It Next Year?

ShoelessJoe2005

Do any of you think we could have another great season next year if we keep our guys and don't change a thing? I think it's possible, we have plenty of young talent to keep this team going for a while. :gosox2:

Maybe not exactly WS, but ALCS or ALDS.

Edited by ShoelessJoe2005

Our pitching staff could very well be even better next year than this year, with BMac taking up the 5th starter spot instead of El Duque, El Duque maybe working a long relief role (something that has been missing this year), and Jenks starting off the season as closer instead of Takatsu.

Then again, a lot depends on things like making sure people stay healthy.

If next year's team can stay as healthy as this year's, then there's definitely a chance. I wouldn't bet on it because this year has been truly special, but we have most of our pieces coming back. Even if we lose Konerko, we'll probably bring back Evertt and Thomas and maybe Anderson will be able to step up for us to replace some of that production. I think most here correctly believe that McCarthy will be an upgrade over El Duque (if purely for health reasons). Most of the pen is back or will be resigned. Yeah, next year's team should be pretty damn good, but having a healthy team is the most important thing to having serious play-off chances.

It's possible. The pitching should be better with McCarthy as our 5th starter and El Duque as our long reliever but I doubt guys like Cotts, Politte, and Hermanson will all have career years next season as well. The offense should definately be improved as I think we will have a #3 hitter whether it's Frank or a guy like Lyle Overbay. In other words, the team should be even better next year but who knows if they will all perform as well as this season. Also, it seems like we got every damn clutch hit this season and almost everything bounced our way in this postseason. It will be tough to repeat that.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Oct 26, 2005 -> 12:43 PM)
I think the starters pretty much stay the same, because I dont know if Count and Garland can match exactly what they did this season, but I also expect more results out of the 5 hole with Brandon.

I think that our starters can actually be even better next year all around...think about this, if Jose takes his 2nd half and has it for a whole season, wouldn't he win a cy young? What about Buehrle...he struggled in the 2nd half when I think he was tipping his pitches. Garland hit a bit of a 10 game slump where he couldn't get his breaking stuff over. BMac struggled during his first appearance up.

Those 4 guys, if they avoid injuries and keep their heads in the games, could all conceivably make a run at the cy young award.

Lets win this one, savor it for a while, then get back to our plans for next year later.

Live in the moment now. This is something that is very special and is hard enough to do, more or less repeat year after year.

Be happy for something that a lot of us never thought would happen in our lifetimes.

GO SOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 26, 2005 -> 02:48 PM)
I think that our starters can actually be even better next year all around...think about this, if Jose takes his 2nd half and has it for a whole season, wouldn't he win a cy young?  What about Buehrle...he struggled in the 2nd half when I think he was tipping his pitches.  Garland hit a bit of a 10 game slump where he couldn't get his breaking stuff over.  BMac struggled during his first appearance up.

Those 4 guys, if they avoid injuries and keep their heads in the games, could all conceivably make a run at the cy young award.

Call me a downer, but I'm not sure BMac has much of a chance at winning the Cy Young. He's young, so even with what he showed this year, he's likely going to struggle at some point in the season.

I do like the rotation a hell of a lot though. The Sox need to keep a decent offense on the field next year before they do anything.

If the Sox can have a good offense for the next 5-6 years or so...they are going to have one hell of a team for a long time. The AL Central is slowly becoming one of the best, and most top heavy, divisions in baseball. The Sox and Indians are both probably shooting at 100 wins next year, the Twins could be an 80-90 win team next year, depending upon the state of the offense and how the rotation pitches all around, Detroit's willing to spend money up the ass, but I don't think that's going to do anything for them...and then there's KC.

What the hell? Somebody's overconfident about THIS year, which, may I remind you, isn't over yet.

With the way our pitching and their pitching is set up, Houston has the best chance of anyone in recent series history to come back from 3-0 should they win tonight. So nobody get too giddy yet.

QUOTE(Antonio Osuna @ Oct 26, 2005 -> 02:03 PM)
What the hell? Somebody's overconfident about THIS year, which, may I remind you, isn't over yet.

With the way our pitching and their pitching is set up, Houston has the best chance of anyone in recent series history to come back from 3-0 should they win tonight. So nobody get too giddy yet.

So where are you going to be at the UC so we can throw peanuts at you?

QUOTE(Antonio Osuna @ Oct 26, 2005 -> 03:03 PM)

Backe has to go f***in 9 tonight for them to have a shot in hell, because their pen is shot to hell. Clemens then would have to have the start of his career(saying that fullwell knowing he has 340 wins) for them to even have a chance.

Personally...I think Boston in 2004 has the best chance of coming back from 3-0. Maybe that's just me. :bang

1st we got to do it this year. Were in great position, but the club still needs to win 1 more game. The Astros didn't get here by being a bad team and they are perfectly capable of winning 4 in a row. Sure it would be incredibly tough, but tell that to Boston.

3 wins doesn't mean squat if we don't get that 4th. I'm not going to concern myself with anything until we win 1 more game.

QUOTE(Antonio Osuna @ Oct 26, 2005 -> 03:03 PM)

Wha?

A one legged guy and a guy with a sore elbow don't do a whole hell of a lot for me, sorry.

I'll agree with the last bit, though. Let's win this f***ing thing!