Everyday Eddie

DBAHO

So the M's closer in 2006 will be.......

According to the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, the Mariners are expected to decline their $6.25 million option on Eddie Guardado for next season.

Seems like a mistake. Guardado would be a terrible risk on a multiyear deal, but the Mariners aren't likely to get anyone better for 2006 without committing a lot more money. Guardado doesn't figure to exercise his $4.5 million player option to stay with the team. Once Billy Wagner and B.J. Ryan sign, Guardado should find several teams interested in his services. Oct. 27 - 3:39 am et

QUOTE(sayitaintso @ Oct 30, 2005 -> 01:16 PM)
Do you guys think that the sox have a legit chance of signing Guardado?

I think Guardado wants to be a closer, and the Sox have Jenks and Hermanson in line in front of him.

I'd expect Guardado to wind up with someone like the Phillies or Atlanta, who need a proven closer (I'm assuming that Wagner is gone, gone in Philly).

QUOTE(Wedge @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 01:00 PM)
Didn't Guardado have some fairly serious problem with his rotator cuff?

Yes. He was nursing a torn rotator cuff most of last season. He missed the last 2 motnhs of 04 with it. He rehabbed it, but some are wondering if it still bothers him (it is still torn) - he blew 4 saves after August 10th.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 02:04 PM)
Yes.  He was nursing a torn rotator cuff most of last season.  He missed the last 2 motnhs of 04 with it.  He rehabbed it, but some are wondering if it still bothers him (it is still torn) - he blew 4 saves after August 10th.

Thanks for the link and the info. Given that, I'd be really leary of signing Guardado as much more than an option out of the bullpen.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 01:13 PM)
Thanks for the link and the info.  Given that, I'd be really leary of signing Guardado as much more than an option out of the bullpen.

Given that he wants to earn more than $4.5 million or so (shooting for the $6 million range)....let the BoSox or the Yankees grab him. One of those 2 teams will pay him the cash - they're both in desperate need of bullpen help after last season. And just like so many of their other FA Signees...he will be overpaid by them, and his arm will snap in half sometime around June.