KW

Gene Honda Civic

race stopped being an issue for me and for many others (i think) a long time ago. when jackie robinson played, it was very important then that he was the first black player (he technically wasnt) in the MLB. today, all different kinds of folks are everywhere, doing all sorts of things for the first time. big whoop. so, when i say "who cares," it's not because im racist or insensitive.

who cares?

It does go to show that JR did not just do this as a PR move for racial equality.

IIRC, the two candiates for the job were Dan Evans and KW...Evans was fired as GM of the Dodgers after the 2003 season. KW has built not only a World Series winner for 2005, but he has the organization set for years.

Kudos to KW :cheers

QUOTE(bighurt2719 @ Oct 27, 2005 -> 02:00 PM)
race stopped being an issue for me and for many others (i think) a long time ago. when jackie robinson played, it was very important then that he was the first black player (he technically wasnt) in the MLB. today, all different kinds of folks are everywhere, doing all sorts of things for the first time. big whoop. so, when i say "who cares," it's not because im racist or insensitive.

who cares?

Mainly because there's still a problem with getting minorities into coaching positions (mainly in the NFL), at GM and probably most of all as owners. The big 3 sports (NFL, MLB, NBA) might have a majority of players being minorities but these sports still don't have many minorities at the higher positions.

This is a big deal.

QUOTE(bighurt2719 @ Oct 27, 2005 -> 12:00 PM)
who cares?

I do.

I think it's important to recognize the people who open doors for others. I get what you're saying, and agree to a large extent that it gets overplayed, but it's not the worst thing in the world to recognize someone's accomplishements. People always say that we should quit putting athletes on a pedastal, how about doctors, teachers, firemen, etc. Well, now you can add coaches and management to that and show kids that there are opportunities in sports for minorities beyond the playing field.

That said, I can't think of Latinos who managed/coached champions. Anyone?

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Oct 27, 2005 -> 02:09 PM)
Mainly because there's still a problem with getting minorities into coaching positions (mainly in the NFL), at GM and probably most of all as owners. The big 3 sports (NFL, MLB, NBA) might have a majority of players being minorities but these sports still don't have many minorities at the higher positions.

This is a big deal.

whenever i see a post by you, i always laugh out loud when i see the mike caruso "he hates you too" baseball card.anyways...

point taken. what i said is just my opinion. also, im not saying that KW shouldnt get any credit- the man's a genius. i just get annoyed some time when people throw out a race card when i dont even think it matters at all.

QUOTE(bighurt2719 @ Oct 27, 2005 -> 12:14 PM)
point taken. what i said is just my opinion. also, im not saying that KW shouldnt get any credit- the man's a genius. i just get annoyed some time when people throw out a race card when i dont even think it matters at all.

While it doesn't really matter to me at all (I will now officially worship the ground KW and Ozzie walk on), I think it's actually important to realize that it does matter to a lot of people.

Think about this...the entire nation of Cuba was huddled around illegal radios and televisions with antennae pointed towards Miami for game 1 because of our pitcher.

The entire nation of Venezuela today is dreaming of playing for the Chicago White Sox.

For years, Baseball has been missing out on African Americans who, if they wound up playing baseball, could probalby have turned out to be some of the best players in history. Instead, basketball has been the sport of choice for that community.

Think about what we've accomplished. We really did win a world series. We did so with an African American GM, a Latino Manager, a Japanese 2nd baseman, a closer from the middle of Idaho, and just about everything inbetween.

I think that practically every part of the world who cares about baseball can find that they have something to root for on this team. I think that's just remarkable.