Congratulations to the Houston Astros too

JUGGERNAUT

It was a weird series for me personally. Something my family understood & shared to some degree. Chicago is my hometown but Houston was my 2nd home right out of school. It was both my single life & my upstart life & living ever so close to the Astrodome the Astros quickly became my favorite NL team.

So when my Houston culture came face to face with my White Sox culture it was a dream come true. My White Sox allegiance though is so strong & so loyal that I never once brought myself to root for the Astros. But at the same time I never rooted against them. I just cheered on the White Sox as they made play after play.

As White Sox fans in general we should all feel a kinship with the Astros. Both teams rely heavily on their farm systems. It's our currency for growing players & obtaining players. We lack the revenue to throw in cash to supplant it like the beasts in the East.

Both teams are 2nd class citizens in their state. It's all glory & roses for the Astros now but when I was there supporting them in the Astrodome the lack of people gave you a sense you were sitting in a giant spaceship like something out of ID4.

Both teams are not beloved by America in general. America neither loves us or hates us. They are simply indifferent. Indeed the White Sox play in the ALC & ranked 24th in road attendance. The Astros featuring the Rocket in their rotation & benefiting from the beloved Cards & Cubs ranked only 16th in road attendance. So the apathy for both teams is something both fans feel.

Both teams have their own versions of the Big Hurt. Thomas for White Sox fans & Bagwell for Astros fans.

I know I've often said that my best baseball dream would be the White Sox sweeping the Cub in the World Series. Some of you have have pretty much seen your dream realized this year with the Cub having a losing season in the year the White Sox dominate the post season & win a World Series. But I have to say now that we are World Champions I'd like to see the Astros face us again this week in Oct next year. Even over the Cubs.

They should be proud of what that accomplished. Left for dead by May strong pitching turned them into a Juggernaut in the NL. Then to overcome what many believed to be the best team in baseball this year was unreal. A division rival no less.

There's no disrespect in losing to the 2005 Chicago White Sox. No team is perfect.

Just as football is driven by giveaway/takeways so is baseball driven by mistakes & capitalizing on them. The White Sox were simply the best this year.

Edited by JUGGERNAUT

I loved how most of the Astros came back out after game 4 to give props to their fans, even while the White Sox were off tearing the place apart. Even though they were down, they still had class.

Not sure I liked the way Garner behaved this series, but that's another matter for another day (when Ozzie seems like the sane one...well...)

I can't say I'd complain if we ended up beating them in the world series for the next 5 or 6 years. (Hey wait, that didn't come out right...)

One thing that struck me about this series...when you look at the list of Baseball payrolls for 2005...2 spots simply have to stand out:

12 Houston Astros $76,779,000

13 Chicago White Sox $75,178,000

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 27, 2005 -> 04:32 PM)
I loved how most of the Astros came back out after game 4 to give props to their fans, even while the White Sox were off tearing the place apart.  Even though they were down, they still had class.

Not sure I liked the way Garner behaved this series, but that's another matter for another day (when Ozzie seems like the sane one...well...)

I can't say I'd complain if we ended up beating them in the world series for the next 5 or 6 years.  (Hey wait, that didn't come out right...)

One thing that struck me about this series...when you look at the list of Baseball payrolls for 2005...2 spots simply have to stand out:

12  Houston Astros  $76,779,000

13  Chicago White Sox  $75,178,000

That's a very surprising coincidence to me.

yes, but if i ever hear the BUZZING again it will be too soon.

Not only that, but having never given a damn about a game at Enron/Minute Maid, I never realized how poorly it was designed. The homerun tape doing zig zags on a concrete wall, a porch in left field jutting out that creates a wall for outfielders to run into, and of course, the pointless hill/pole in centerfield. What stupid ideas these were, huh?

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Oct 27, 2005 -> 03:55 PM)
yes, but if i ever hear the BUZZING again it will be too soon.

Not only that, but having never given a damn about a game at Enron/Minute Maid, I never realized how poorly it was designed.  The homerun tape doing zig zags on a concrete wall, a porch in left field jutting out that creates a wall for outfielders to run into, and of course, the pointless hill/pole in centerfield.  What stupid ideas these were, huh?

I don't think I mind the flagpole any more than the roof at the twinkie dome, or any of the other wierd walls.

But come on...you cannot have a ball bounce off a wall and be a home run in 1 spot, then bounce off a wall 2 feet to the left and be a double. It should have to stick somewhere or clear something. That's just a bit ridiculous.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Oct 27, 2005 -> 04:29 PM)
Also, McLane was the most gracious loser I've probably ever seen.  I know nothing about him but from the postgame show yesterday he seems like a great guy.

That's the Owner/CEO, right? That guy rocked! At the end of the game, as the celebrating was going on, he had a smile from ear to ear! The guy had just seen a wonderful example of Baseball all around, and you could see he appreciated it. Then when he congratulated JR, you could see the sincerity.

Then yeah, the Astro's themselves. After the game, applauding their fans, and even congratulating our guys, what a wonderful team they have down there. I might have a new favorite in the NL. Though, next year, can we please, please, PLEASE be spared the Brandon Backe mic??? :pray

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Oct 27, 2005 -> 07:38 PM)
That's the Owner/CEO, right? That guy rocked! At the end of the game, as the celebrating was going on, he had a smile from ear to ear! The guy had just seen a wonderful example of Baseball all around, and you could see he appreciated it. Then when he congratulated JR, you could see the sincerity.

Then yeah, the Astro's themselves. After the game, applauding their fans, and even congratulating our guys, what a wonderful team they have down there. I might have a new favorite in the NL. Though, next year, can we please, please, PLEASE be spared the Brandon Backe mic??? :pray

Its rare that you can really say that we had no animosity towards their fans during such a competitive time. I don't like clemens but the rest of the guys are fairly likeable and I could live with them gettign back to the Series for sure. At 15-30 and the whole media talking about Clemens back to Boston or NY, it shows that this team was mentally tough. Great year for them.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Oct 28, 2005 -> 07:51 AM)
I know this has been mentioned to you already, but seriously, you need to get rid of that sig.  A Sox website is no place to promote a Cub prospect.

Im not promoting a cub prospect im promoting a great prospect in general and just because this is a whitesox board doesnt mean I cant have a prospect I like in my sig. Ill tell you what if he ever does make the cubs ill take him off but until than I like him.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Oct 28, 2005 -> 02:54 AM)
Im not promoting a cub prospect im promoting a great prospect in general and just because this is a whitesox board doesnt mean I cant have a prospect I like in my sig.  Ill tell you what if he ever does make the cubs ill take him off but until than I like him.

Your going to catch a lot of flak.

A definate congrats to the Houston Astros. They contain a lot of history for myself as well. The only other town I have lived in (besides college) was a mile away from Space Center. It was also about 15 miles away from Nolan Ryans ranch, who easily became my all-time favorite baseball player while growing up. Houston is definately my second favorite team, and I can't imagine a better World Series than the White Sox beating the Astros for all of the marbles.

Houston is a classy organization and yes, they do resemble the Sox organization in many regards.

It was said by many posters once the Series started that they would have preferred just about anyone to the Astros.

Good work and future success.