Most underrated play of the season

fathom

In my opinion, the one play that sticks out in my mind that got the Sox on such a roll late in the season was Everett's big 2 RBI triple in the 3rd game against the Tigers. Up to that point, the Sox looked as tight as can be, and if you remember, were just brutal with RISP in that series. After that hit, it seemed the floodgates opened up, and we went on to win 16 of our last 17 games.

Not an underrated play but just something that seemed so little in spring training: how about Aaron being in center when it was talked about that Scotty would be the centerfielder when he was first traded here. I was just thinking about that, how something seemingly so small could have made a huge difference.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Oct 27, 2005 -> 10:47 PM)
Not an underrated play but just something that seemed so little in spring training: how about Aaron being in center when it was talked about that Scotty would be the centerfielder when he was first traded here.  I was just thinking about that, how something seemingly so small could have made a huge difference.

And there were a lot of people on here who were screaming that it would be the wrong decision to have Pods in CF. The stability that this team had almost all season on the field is remarkable, with only the Frank injury changing the dynamic for more than 15 or so games.

Some of my favorite 'forgotten plays' this year:

Rowand catching the ball in LF when Pods lost it.

Ozuna's play down the line at 3rd to save the game in the 2nd half.

Ozuna steals home.

Rowand's entire NY series

Buerhle's 10 K game (mainly cause i was there)

Dye nearly killing himself on a ball hit to the wall at either KC or CLE i dont remember

Just some of the memories that ran through my head just now.

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 27, 2005 -> 04:50 PM)
And there were a lot of people on here who were screaming that it would be the wrong decision to have Pods in CF.  The stability that this team had almost all season on the field is remarkable, with only the Frank injury changing the dynamic for more than 15 or so games.

No doubt, most of us wanted Aaron to stay in center and thankfully it happened. I was just thinking about that though, what if Scott was the centerfielder all year...eek.

QUOTE(Nokona @ Oct 27, 2005 -> 04:51 PM)
Rowand catching the ball in LF when Pods lost it.

That's one of my favorite plays of the year as well, kind of symbolized what this team was all about. Game number 2 on the year was a pretty special game as well.

I know there's other threads about this, but I think it's amazing that you can argue that 23 of the 25 players on the Sox postseason roster made a significant contribution that helped them win a game in the playoffs. Only Hermanson and Timo didn't have a true positive moment. That's amazing to think of the "team" effort that happened this season.

Here's another underrated play in terms of impact on the Sox success. The whole PK "BS" missed liner against Michael Ryan that allowed the Twins to tie the game in the 9th. That freak play allowed Jenks the chance to close the game in the next inning. Who knows if he would have been allowed to close a game and get some experience in the role prior to the postseason.

We definately have to thank San Francisco. You wanna talk about underrated/under the radar moves...

Like I said in my euphoric thread last night, if San Francisco doesn't offer Vizquel a 3rd year, there is no way we are where we are. We don't have Goochi, but instead of Uribe at 2B; or contrarily, if the Sox do have Goochi, they most definately do not have Blum, because Uribe is the super utility IFer...perhaps meaning no game winning homer in game 3...that's all believing in pre-determined destiny though, and that's something I'm not a huge believer in, anyways.

We ALSO have to thank them for non-tendering AJ Pierzynski. Where the hell are the White Sox without AJ?

You guys have mentioned some good ones, but for me, personally, I'll always remember this season as the 'evolution' of Jon Garland.

And I go back to this game as the one I'll never forget.

It was getting late in the game -- the 7th or 8th. There were runners at the corners, and it's Garland vs. Tejada. He tried hitting the outside corner a couple of times, went up, Tejada was fighting everything off. So, he goes changeup down and in, an awesome pitch -- Tejada swings over the top of it for the K.

I sort of felt then that Jon had -- ugh, I hate to sound so cliched -- "taken the next step". His sinker has always been good, but it's not always there -- he now has another legit pitch.

More than anything, I really hope the Sox can lock up Garland/Buehrle to reasonable contracts in the coming years. McCarthy/Buehrle/Garland are going to be quite the trio for the next five years...

The whole 1-0 loss to Minnesota, Dye's catch in that game was incredible.

And while we are looking at it, how about the two home runs that set the tone for the season when Pauly and Dye went back to back in the second game of the season against the Tribe.

Edited by orangekrush88

Here's one for you. It's not even a play...but it was my first moment of absolute terror followed by incredible immediate relief of this year.

Mark Buehrle in Spring Training hears a pop in his foot. Goes home and takes a nap. Wakes up. Can't walk. Newspapers the next day say he's got a stress fracture in his foot. Won't play for something like 1-2 months.

Later that day, he walks into the trainer's office. The trainer is shocked that he can walk. No one has a f***ing clue what the hell happened to his foot. They blame it on some sort of older injury that Mark has no clue what they're talking about. Buehrle misses 1 Spring Training start because of it. And pitches on opening day.

This wasn't a play but something that could have hurt us in the beginning of the season: Buehrle turned out to be ok after a predicted broken foot.

Imagine what that could have done to him and this team. He was damn good this year and without him I don't know where the sox would be.

--f*** Balta beat me to it.--

Edited by Sox Hustler

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 27, 2005 -> 06:55 PM)
Here's one for you.  It's not even a play...but it was my first moment of absolute terror followed by incredible immediate relief of this year.

Mark Buehrle in Spring Training hears a pop in his foot.  Goes home and takes a nap.  Wakes up.  Can't walk.  Newspapers the next day say he's got a stress fracture in his foot.  Won't play for something like 1-2 months.

Later that day, he walks into the trainer's office.  The trainer is shocked that he can walk.  No one has a f***ing clue what the hell happened to his foot.  They blame it on some sort of older injury that Mark has no clue what they're talking about.  Buehrle misses 1 Spring Training start because of it.  And pitches on opening day.

Holy s*** do I remember that.

A feeling of "maybe the experts are right" started trying to creep into my mind. That did not last long.

I also have another underrated for you...the 6th inning of June 15th.

Sox 12, DBacks 6

Gutsy play of the year: Marte throws a pitch that gets by AJ with a man on 3rd in the bottom of the 9th. He hustles to recieve the toss from AJ and basically throws his body in front of a guy coming in full speed, and saves the game.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Oct 27, 2005 -> 07:19 PM)
You guys have mentioned some good ones, but for me, personally, I'll always remember this season as the 'evolution' of Jon Garland.

And I go back to this game as the one I'll never forget.

It was getting late in the game -- the 7th or 8th.  There were runners at the corners, and it's Garland vs. Tejada.  He tried hitting the outside corner a couple of times, went up, Tejada was fighting everything off.  So, he goes changeup down and in, an awesome pitch -- Tejada swings over the top of it for the K.

I was about to post the exact same thing. That was one of my biggest regular season celbrations.

My most underrated moment comes in the playoffs. The five run first inning against Boston in game 1. To that point, we hadn't won a home playoff game since 59. As a Sox fan, no matter what happened in the regular season, you're always expecting to be let down come post-season. I just really think that 5 run inning set the tone for the entire playoffs. You automatically got that feeling that this wasn't gonna be like past years. This team is for real.

In regards to the previous comment that only Tino & Hermanson didn't have a productive series ... an very underated play was actually the strikeout by Hermanson after he allowed the hit. If he didn't get composed and come back and get the strikeout the game could have been lost.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Oct 28, 2005 -> 01:44 AM)
Gutsy play of the year:  Marte throws a pitch that gets by AJ with a man on 3rd in the bottom of the 9th.  He hustles to recieve the toss from AJ and basically throws his body in front of a guy coming in full speed, and saves the game.

Oh I remember that I think it was against the Royals but that was one hell of a finish... Marte still had some good moments this season amid all the bad ones.

I still stick by the Aaron Rowand catch off of a Richie Sexson blast on Carlton Fisk day.

It might not have changed the season, but I think its a great example of the type of baseball this team played this year.

As for something that sparked the team's performance in the playoffs, I'll go with the first game of the end of the year Cleveland series. We had clinched already, and our scrubs were playing, yet we still managed to pull out a win. After that sort of thing, you have to feel great against your team since your backup players can beat a team who is struggling for its playoff life.