Rumor: AL Playoff OF tests positive for steroids

DonkeyKongerko

I had 1 thought after reading this thread that made me feel a lot better.

If it was one of our guys...what do you think Frank Thomas would do when he got his hands on that person? A guy tainting his ring? The guy would not live through it.

Not a chance it's one of our guys. Frank would scare them waaaay too much.

I wonder how long it would take Sheff to get the "Flaxseed oil" he admitted using out of his system.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Oct 27, 2005 -> 11:00 PM)
I don't know, you'd think major league baseball would suspend the player for the games immediately following when they tested positive, whether they are playoff or regular season games. However I feel that MLB would NEVER suspend a player for the post season. Any punishment would be put off until the following season. ie: the Robby Alomar situation.

By the way...this is a prime example of why MLB's steroid policy doesn't work...a 10 game suspension is basically nothing. It gives people no chance to even get the junk out of their system. It needs to be at least 1/4 of the season, if not 1/2 of it.

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 27, 2005 -> 10:48 PM)
After having more time to think about this, I have to change my tone.  If it is a Sox player, it would really tarnish the Sox World Series win for a lot of people.  The national media is going to go apes*** if a Sox player was allowed to participate during the entire playoffs if they had already tested positive.

The media would not be the only ones going Apes***. I for one would be as well. I would hate that person for life. Absolutely despise them. I do not want cheaters on my team.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 28, 2005 -> 06:16 AM)
The media would not be the only ones going Apes***.  I for one would be as well.  I would hate that person for life.  Absolutely despise them.  I do not want cheaters on my team.

That's why it's very likely the player wouldn't be back next season.

I have not read this anywhere else nor is it on ESPN (the makers of all things controversial), so i wonder how "true" this is. You might remember that a while back 2 big names were supposedly tested positive for roids but nothing ever came of that. COuld just be someone looking for a story.

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Oct 28, 2005 -> 02:13 PM)
I have not read this anywhere else nor is it on ESPN (the makers of all things controversial), so i wonder how "true" this is. You might remember that a while back 2 big names were supposedly tested positive for roids but nothing ever came of that. COuld just be someone looking for a story.

You actually have someone in this rumor saying they were involved in the appeals process. Also, the fact there was a blurb in the paper about it saying the agent confirmed the situation makes me think there's more credibility to this rumor than others.

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Oct 28, 2005 -> 02:43 PM)
I hate that we don't have the info now. I hate not knowing.

If it is a White Sox player, it likely won't be announced for another few weeks. I'm sure Selig wants as much time to pass between the WS and the announcement as possible.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 28, 2005 -> 02:58 PM)
IF it turns out to be a Sox player, I'd be guessing Pods and it would be from his injury and rehab. It was a mistake, he was following Doctor's orders, etc. There would be plenty of innocent explainations.

I know this is pure speculation, but I would be surprised if it was Pods just based on his reaction after they won. He seemed to be the happiest guy on the field, and definitely didn't strike me as someone who's about to bring shame to himself and the team's accomplishments.

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 28, 2005 -> 10:01 AM)
I know this is pure speculation, but I would be surprised if it was Pods just based on his reaction after they won.  He seemed to be the happiest guy on the field, and definitely didn't strike me as someone who's about to bring shame to himself and the team's accomplishments.

Him running in and yelling and going nuts was one of the more awesome things I saw....

QUOTE(rudylaw @ Oct 28, 2005 -> 10:29 AM)
Just reading this makes me totally sick.  If it is PODS the will say that the homer would not have gone out.  If it is Dye they would day that is the reason he was the MVP, and if it Rowand we eill still be known as the Black Sox even though he had a horrible post season.

Rowand had a hit in 10 out of the 12 playoff games. He had 8 runs and 6 doubles as well. How the f*** is that a horrible postseason?

QUOTE(rudylaw @ Oct 28, 2005 -> 03:29 PM)
Just reading this makes me totally sick.  If it is PODS the will say that the homer would not have gone out.  If it is Dye they would day that is the reason he was the MVP, and if it Rowand we eill still be known as the Black Sox even though he had a horrible post season.

Instead of celebrating the World Series, the organization would have to answer questions about the steroid scandal the entire offseason. It would be a huge blow against the momentum that this franchise would otherwise have.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Oct 28, 2005 -> 04:37 PM)
Why would Will Carroll be involved with the appeals process? that was a bit lost on me

According to another thread on this, he does a lot of consulting for MLB teams. I'm not sure in what aspect of the appeal he'd be involved, but he could be used as an expert on the topic.

I gave this some more thought last night...and you know, I've been suspicious of Steve Finley for quite a while. First, he's been one of those ageless wonders for a while...hitting a ton of home runs even last year and he's now 40 years old. This year, he dropped form 36 home runs to 12. That can't all be ballpark effects. He basically did a smaller-contract version of Sosa this year.

Finley has been known as a workout warrior and he was also injured all year. Banged up shoulder since Opening Day. I think too that he just got old quickly. He's not big anyways. His workouts are very innovative (spinal based conditioning and flexibility over heavy weight training). and I think they led to him finding the fountain of youth at 40