Konerko gave ball to JR

IlliniKrush

QUOTE(DABearSoX @ Oct 28, 2005 -> 01:25 PM)
My favorite point, not only giving the ball to Jerry, but PKs comment along the lines of "We'll go back and get it next year"  Kenny looks at him and seems to say "So your saying you'll resign" then the crowd started chanting RESIGN PAUL

If you think that means anything one month from now then you are naive in my opinion. Paulie would love to come back here but only if it makes dollars and sense

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Oct 28, 2005 -> 12:51 PM)
I think this needed its own thread. Pure class. I think this speaks volumes about this organization, this team, this season, this city.

It was the right thing to do. Even though I does not matter to me. It was very classy. Well said.

Edited by ShoelessJoe2005

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Oct 28, 2005 -> 07:28 PM)
If you think that means anything one month from now then you are naive in my opinion. Paulie would love to come back here but only if it makes dollars and sense

OH in no way do I believe this means anything.....I know its up to the money....i was just pointing out that that was a great point in the ralley.....I have been one of the biggest Paulie supporters on this board through everything.....and just hope we can get the deal done......

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 28, 2005 -> 02:06 PM)
Out here and in the trib the most I've seen is 5yr 65 mill, but anything can happen.  It will be interesting to see, cause if the Angels go after Manny and land him, that will mean its between Boston and the Sox.

Yikes.

The postseason he had apparently added a year to his future contract, along with $2 mill per season.

The best deal for the White Sox would be 4 years, $44 mill...but no way in hell is that gonna happen.

For the short team...5 years, $60 mill would be awesome. Brings PK back, keeps the fans happy, brings back our best offensive player from last year...that is what I like. For the long term, I have absolutely no doubt that 3 years from now that's an albatross of a contract that Sox can't move.

I'm split.

QUOTE(DABearSoX @ Oct 28, 2005 -> 01:32 PM)
OH in no way do I believe this means anything.....I know its up to the money....i was just pointing out that that was a great point in the ralley.....I have been one of the biggest Paulie supporters on this board through everything.....and just hope we can get the deal done......

my bad, thanks for the clarification. I thought it was a great moment too

QUOTE(knightni @ Oct 28, 2005 -> 02:38 PM)
Maybe they can offer him a front loaded contract with a declining skills clause, like Frank.

It would give him

Year 1: 17 mil

Year 2: 15 mil

Year 3: 12 mil

Year 4: 10 mil

Year 5: 8 mil (mutual option)

Not sure PK goes for that. And if he can get 5 years guaranteed, I think he hops on that before 4 year with a mutual anyways.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Oct 28, 2005 -> 02:41 PM)
Ewwww. 17? Thats Manny Money. I wonder if the Sox will offer the defferred money special here.

I do not believe the Sox have ever had a contract with deferred money in JR's reign. I may be wrong though.

QUOTE(knightni @ Oct 28, 2005 -> 03:38 PM)
Maybe they can offer him a front loaded contract with a declining skills clause, like Frank.

It would give him

Year 1: 17 mil

Year 2: 15 mil

Year 3: 12 mil

Year 4: 10 mil

Year 5: 8 mil (mutual option)

I totally agree with you. Add in the fact that the Sox will get about $10 million in 2006 as their share of the profit on the Nationals, and it makes a whole lot of sense to make 2006 and 2007 (when Konerko is more likely to be productive) much higher in terms of contract value. Heck, I'd give him 5-$60 as $20, $15, $12, $7, $6. Use the Nats money on years 2006-07. Or give him a $10 million bonus and make it $15, $10, $10, $8, $7.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Oct 28, 2005 -> 01:41 PM)
I thought they changed the rules on deferred money so now its like only 2-3 years after the contract is over...

Here are the words of our friend Mariotti on the offer to Mags...take it with whatever grain of salt you give to whatever that guy writes.

Reinsdorf claimed to have offered Magglio Ordonez an outstanding deal until Ordonez said the contract was loaded with deferred money -- 20 years' worth.

Colon's had deferred money as well. Its a good business strategy because there is no interest on that money but its also a way for an organization to save face by claiming they offered the same or better deal as another team but with less money over the life of the deal. Griffey's deal had so much deferred that I knew the organization would love him.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 28, 2005 -> 02:04 PM)
If it comes down to a 5yr 60 mill deal and a 5yr 63 mill deal from Anaheim or Boston, I think he'll be coming back to Chicago.

Now if he gets a 6yr 75 mill offer and the Sox are at 5yr 60-65, than I'm guessing he'll go elsewhere.

And frankly, if those $$$ are being tossed around by other clubs, I'd have to see the need to say to PK, "Thanks for the memories."

Everyone is getting carried away talking contracts, remember the title of this thread?

That moment when Paulie gave that ball to Jerry, was absolutely amazing. I was at the parade, but when I got home and saw the Tivo of Jerry getting that ball, and how much it meant to him, how much it meant to have Paulie giving it to him, and how he broke down crying when he talked about it, that was absolutely the highlight of the whole day today.

What a great day for Jerry, the crowd loved him, chanted his name, he really got the recognition he deserves, that he never got with the Bulls.

Paul is absolutely a 100% classy guy, and you can tell he appreciates being given the chance to play every day that he was given here.

My two cents, Paul Konerko and Kenny Williams could negotiate this contract over a game of golf sometime in the next couple of weeks, if they are both so inclined. Kenny will know what his budget is, and he will always put the team over the importance of one guy, but both he and Jerry value loyalty so much, and if both sides want to get a deal done, it will be easy, not hard, if it starts to look hard to do, then I'd get worried.

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 28, 2005 -> 02:56 PM)
It's great that he said what he did, but please don't hold it against PK if he goes elsewhere.

It's gonna depend on how he goes elsewhere. If he goes in 6 months from handing the ball to JR to bashing the franchise like some other player who I will choose not to name...then it's gonna hurt. Especially given how right now we're bowing down before those same people.