sox-r-us

Obvious things to do (Starters):

Re-sign Paulie

Extend Frank for 2 more years so he retires a White Sox after his 500 HRs

Extend Jon Garland to a 4 year deal

Wait on Carl Everett

Not so obvious things to do (Bench moves):

Let Timo Perez walk, and let Brian Anderson take his place as bench OF

Let Willie Harris walk and replace him with a contact hitter (Jose Vizcaino type?)

What else to improve bench/bullpen?

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Oct 28, 2005 -> 01:35 PM)
Obvious things to do (Starters):

Re-sign Paulie

Extend Frank for 2 more years so he retires a White Sox after his 500 HRs

Extend Jon Garland to a 4 year deal

Wait on Carl Everett

Not so obvious things to do (Bench moves):

Let Timo Perez walk, and let Brian Anderson take his place as bench OF

Let Willie Harris walk and replace him with a contact hitter (Jose Vizcaino type?)

What else to improve bench/bullpen?

Not bad suggestions. I don't beleive they will offer Jon mroe than three years because they don't really do that. I suggested and Anderson/Frank combo at DH where Frank is the main guy depending on health. That said, I realize that having Anderson sit on the bench may stunt his growth a bit. I don't necessarily know how I feel abotu Willie and Timo walking. Willie might get a chance to play much more somewhere else. I don't like Timo but I feel overly nostalgic right now which is why I hope as many players come back as possible.

Keep Willie.

And IMO, DO NOT PULL A 2003 ANGELS AND SAY KEEPING THE EXACT SAME ROSTER IS THE RIGHT THING TO DO! The Angels delayed their dynasty by 1 year because of this. Sign that big FA NOW! But don't force it, make a trade if need be.

Now where to upgrade though? Third Base or maybe Centerfield for starters, only of course if it were to be a big enough upgrade.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 28, 2005 -> 02:39 PM)
Keep Willie.

And IMO, DO NOT PULL A 2003 ANGELS AND SAY KEEPING THE EXACT SAME ROSTER IS THE RIGHT THING TO DO! The Angels delayed their dynasty by 1 year because of this. Sign that big FA NOW! But don't force it, make a trade if need be.

Now where to upgrade though? Third Base or maybe Centerfield for starters, only of course if it were to be a big enough upgrade.

CF is a must, A-row OPS is pretty low for his position, but I hope he can bounce back. I think its proven that 3B is pretty much set, unless you want to take a chance with Mueller.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 28, 2005 -> 03:41 PM)
CF is a must, A-row OPS is pretty low for his position, but I hope he can bounce back.  I think its proven that 3B is pretty much set, unless you want to take a chance with Mueller.

No way, Crede is staying.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 28, 2005 -> 12:41 PM)
CF is a must, A-row OPS is pretty low for his position, but I hope he can bounce back.  I think its proven that 3B is pretty much set, unless you want to take a chance with Mueller.

If Joe Crede puts up the same numbers he did this year...along with his defense at 3b, he's a fine guy there.

If Joe Crede can avoid those 2 horrific months he had this year...his upside is still 30 home runs and a .280 average.

Bill Mueller would cost more...probably be a slight defensive downgrade, be older, and not nearly have the potential upside of Crede. He's not going to win another batting title, he's just not.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 28, 2005 -> 07:41 PM)

I do not think we replace ARow because of his fielding and he is one of the leaders on this team. Without his fielding, I doubt we win it all.

And Rowand cannot play from the bench. We have very few spots open frankly, hence it is important to build good depth in case we get injury bug or people start underperforming.

This team is built on pitching + defense.....so you cannot let Arowand go unless you are getting a ANdrew Jones which I doubt.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 28, 2005 -> 12:43 PM)
Not much room to improve really, maybe one more bat, but everything else seems pretty much set.

Assuming we keep Konerko.

Our biggest goals this offseason should be holding onto Paulie and getting a few guys to ink to multi-year deals. AJ, Garland, Crede, maybe Contreras if possible? Beyond that, it's just a question of who to plug into the DH role...if someone like an Overbay becomes available for a reasonable price he would work, but if not, there's no reason we can't fill it with some combination of outfielders/Dye like we did this year with Everett.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 28, 2005 -> 02:45 PM)
Assuming we keep Konerko.

Our biggest goals this offseason should be holding onto Paulie and getting a few guys to ink to multi-year deals.  AJ, Garland, Crede, maybe Contreras if possible?  Beyond that, it's just a question of who to plug into the DH role...if someone like an Overbay becomes available for a reasonable price he would work, but if not, there's no reason we can't fill it with some combination of outfielders/Dye like we did this year with Everett.

Garland pierzynski will both sign three year deals... nothing more nothing less. Crede getting signed to a multi year deal? This will be his first season of arbitration for crede. The sox only sign those types of players when they put up very good numbers or numbers that exceed their expectations.

We are gonna hear an awful lot about thome, overbay, delgado ( who will not be moved), tracy, etc... this year won't we?

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Oct 28, 2005 -> 02:46 PM)
Timo will be back next year.

How the f*** can any Sox fan possibly want to see Bill f***ing Mueller at 3B for the Sox next year?

I said this before the playoffs and I'll say it again now; f*** Bill Mueller, give me Crede!

We should sign orlando palmeiro. He is the definition of a contact hitter. More walks than strikeouts? The sox would not know what to do with themselves.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Oct 28, 2005 -> 12:52 PM)
We are gonna hear an awful lot about thome, overbay, delgado ( who will not be moved), tracy, etc... this year won't we?

Here's the big quesiton...in what order next summer will this page morph into Thometalk.com, Overbaytalk.com, or Griffeytalk.com?

If Paulie gets re-signed and Big Frank agrees to something (which I think will both happen), we really will not go after Griffey, Thome or Overbay

All we need to do then is decide what to do with our bench. My biggest worry for next year is injuries. Other than Frank and Scotty Pods for a while, we did not really get hit by the injury bug this past year. Hopefully we keep that up. (We do have people with some injury history in Hermanson, Jenks, Dye, Frank etc). Hence a strong bench would be nice.

They key to me is going to be:

Can Uribe, Crede, Count and Bobby Jenks produce next year like they did in the later half of this past year + post season? They were outstanding in the post season (not just with the glove but also with the bat for Crede and Uribe) and have all made believers out of me. If Crede + Uribe can both produce around 0.280 for the entire year with ~20 HRs each, and Count and Jenks continue to dominate, we are set.

If not, we have to ask ourselves should we make changes at the deadline.

I think we should be in position to increase our payroll this year, and I am sure Jerry wants to keep contending to convert this city around. Hence, I expect more activity at the trade deadline in terms of starters than in the offseason (other than Paulie and Frank).

Edited by sox-r-us

For me, I think the Sox need to re-sign Paulie at 4 years/ $48 million. If Paulie is the classy guy we think he is, he will take this money. Even though, some team will no doubt go above and beyon us, this is more than fair and quite frankly greedy if he doesn't take it. Then, I would try to sign Brian Giles for DH or to trade Rowand or Pods. Then possible sign Eurbiel Durazo as a bench/DH type and finally just get another lefty via trade or Free agency. Financially, my plan works:

Add: Konerko ($ 3 million more per year,) Giles ($ 8 million more per year,) Durazo ($ 4 million more per year) and the lefty ($2 million more per year)

Subtract: Carl Everett ($ 4 millin per year) and Frank Thomas ( $ 5 million per year, taking into account buyout.)

Total: a payroll of $ 8 million more.

So then you add player raises and such this comes to around $ 15 million more per year, and a payroll of $ 90 million, something I think is feasible and should be done.