Let's talk next year

sox-r-us

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 11:21 AM)
Hmm, I recall a few saying we should get rid of Pods because he "lacks power in a power position." Heh, feels good to be right.

Did you read fathom's post. If those moves that I said happen (which they may if Konerko leaves, which right now doesn't look good because he wants at least 65/5 and we've offered 48/4), our offense is going to suffer dramatically no matter who we bring in to replace.

I know Pods is valuable as a leadoff hitter, it's just annoying he can't play at say 2B or SS where it'd then be easier to find a big bat at LF than at 2B or SS, if you get my drift.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 11:18 AM)
No offense, but if all that stuff happened, we'd get 3rd place in the AL Central next season.  Our offense would be worse, as would our pitching.

C'mon fathom, you've been mooting trading Contreras while his value is at an all time high. :D

Look if the Sox could possibly find a replacement starter in the FA market, it's an avenue they could take a look at (but I'd doubt it).

Does anyone think Garland's definitely going to win 18 games next season? A lot of people are worried that 2005 may have been a year out of blue for him, hence don't lock him up to a 3-4 year deal. All these are things KW's going to hav to think about.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 11:23 AM)
Heck yeah. No need to make drastic changes like that. I have never heard someone suggest trading an 18 game winner 2 days after they won the Series....wowza.

If Konerko leaves, how is this team going to win a World Series in 2006 without making some changes?

Is anybody else worried about Brian Giles' age?? Dude's gonna be 35 in January. He just turned down an offer of 3/$21 from the Pads. Would you really want him on the books for $9-10 mil in a couple years? If we were the Yankees, I'd say go for it. Unfortunately we don't really have any room for aging, overpriced OFs in the sunset of their careers in our current configuration. If PK and Frank don't come back, then I could see it happening... but let's hope against that.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 11:34 AM)
Have some faith man.

Minnesota are going to be improved offensively in 2006. Cleveland you know are only going to get better. Detroit could go crazy and sign A.J Burnett this off-season.

You lose Konerko, that's 40 HR's and 100 RBI's you're losing right there. Unless you sign Brian Giles (already rejected 3/21 from SD), we're losing some massive offense from the middle of our lineup. And with Everett pretty much a shoe in to leave as well, that's 2 spots that then need replacing, whether 1 in house with Anderson (who'll in his 1st season) probably be around Everett's numbers.

That leaves who's going to replace Paulie. If Jermaine moves to 1B, that person will be the DH. It could be Thome, Overbay (although then maybe Jermaine would DH), Tracy etc., but whoever the Sox have to trade, it may just not have to be prospects (although that would be the best option), they may need to give up someone from the major league team.

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 11:35 AM)
Is anybody else worried about Brian Giles' age??  Dude's gonna be 35 in January.  He just turned down an offer of 3/$21 from the Pads.  Would you really want him on the books for $9-10 mil in a couple years?  If we were the Yankees, I'd say go for it.  Unfortunately we don't really have any room for aging, overpriced OFs in the sunset of their careers in our current configuration.  If PK and Frank don't come back, then I could see it happening... but let's hope against that.

That's the thing. He's the best replacement offense wise for Paulie, yet he's still a huge risk if you give him more than a 2 year deal (which he's definitely going to get).

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 01:27 AM)
C'mon fathom, you've been mooting trading Contreras while his value is at an all time high.  :D

Look if the Sox could possibly find a replacement starter in the FA market, it's an avenue they could take a look at (but I'd doubt it).

Does anyone think Garland's definitely going to win 18 games next season? A lot of people are worried that 2005 may have been a year out of blue for him, hence don't lock him up to a 3-4 year deal. All these are things KW's going to hav to think about.

Easier to keep Garland for 3-4 years in what should be his peak years than it will be to resign Contreras after this season. Not only that, but who would replace Garland in the rotation? Sure the hell not Duque. Also, if you get rid of Garland, you might be paving the way for Buehrle to also leave in a few years w/o his best buddy.

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 11:41 AM)
Easier to keep Garland for 3-4 years in what should be his peak years than it will be to resign Contreras after this season.  Not only that, but who would replace Garland in the rotation?  Sure the hell not Duque.  Also, if you get rid of Garland, you might be paving the way for Buehrle to also leave in a few years w/o his best buddy.

Garland's age and peak years are probably something that's going to help keep him around here. I don't think next season he's going to win 18 games again, he could win around 15, but his ERA will probably be a little higher. We've waited so long for him to see his potential and he finally has, we'll most likely lock him up as you've said.

Contreras I think would take a discount to stay around here. If the Sox kept him, would they take the Paulie method of negotiating with him though and see it backfire?

No doubt our offense is going to need upgrading if we lose Paulie. Unless we trade prospects, I don't know how we're going to do that without trading a starter, and people won't like Contreras being moved.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 11:47 AM)
Word is the Padres are close to signing Giles to a 3 year/$30M deal.

They need to get that done, any word on whether it's front-loaded or anything kalapse? Wonder if it'll impact the Hoffman negotiations as well, although I personally couldn't see him leaving.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 01:46 AM)
No doubt our offense is going to need upgrading if we lose Paulie. Unless we trade prospects, I don't know how we're going to do that without trading a starter, and people won't like Contreras being moved.

BTW, just cause I disagree with your opinion earlier, doesn't mean I don't enjoy talking about potential transaction things. Unlike some others, you realize that there's no way this whole team will be back next season. :cheers

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 11:58 AM)
BTW, just cause I disagree with your opinion earlier, doesn't mean I don't enjoy talking about potential transaction things.  Unlike some others, you realize that there's no way this whole team will be back next season.  :cheers

Oh yeah, that's what these boards about. You're not going to have 2500 people wholeheartedly agreeing saying "Ooooh yes, let's trade for this guy" "this guy should be re-signed for $$$$" etc.

And that's what will make this off-season so interesting, and so tough for KW. There are a LOT of different scenarios that could play out here, and right now, it depends on what Mr. Konerko does. In the mean-time it's just fun to speculate what could happen in the future, although I always like doing that whether it's April, October or December. :)

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 02:02 AM)
Oh yeah, that's what these boards about. You're not going to have 2500 people wholeheartedly agreeing saying "Ooooh yes, let's trade for this guy" "this guy should be re-signed for $$$$" etc.

And that's what will make this off-season so interesting, and so tough for KW. There are a LOT of different scenarios that could play out here, and right now, it depends on what Mr. Konerko does. In the mean-time it's just fun to speculate what could happen in the future, although I always like doing that whether it's April, October or December.  :)

The best thing is that we're basically playing with house money right now. KW can take a chance. Don't be shocked if we don't try and make a big time trade this offseason. It would be intriguing if Ozzie tries to use his latin influence to get someone like the disgruntled Miguel Cabrera.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Oct 28, 2005 -> 08:58 PM)
They need to get that done, any word on whether it's front-loaded or anything kalapse? Wonder if it'll impact the Hoffman negotiations as well, although I personally couldn't see him leaving.

It appears that the contract could be structured a few different ways:

1.) 12-11-7 (this appears to be the most likely senerio)

2.) 12-12-6

3.) 13-10-7

Giles could be signed shortly, it seems Kevin Towers was serious about making Giles his #1 priority for the offseason.

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 28, 2005 -> 09:06 PM)
The best thing is that we're basically playing with house money right now.  KW can take a chance.  Don't be shocked if we don't try and make a big time trade this offseason. It would be intriguing if Ozzie tries to use his latin influence to get someone like the disgruntled Miguel Cabrera.

Don't f***ing tease me. :angry:

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 28, 2005 -> 08:06 PM)
The best thing is that we're basically playing with house money right now.  KW can take a chance.  Don't be shocked if we don't try and make a big time trade this offseason.  It would be intriguing if Ozzie tries to use his latin influence to get someone like the disgruntled Miguel Cabrera.

Haha... or hey, the Phils are looking to unload some contracts... how about the Venezuelan Bobby Abreu???

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 02:06 AM)
The best thing is that we're basically playing with house money right now.  KW can take a chance.  Don't be shocked if we don't try and make a big time trade this offseason.  It would be intriguing if Ozzie tries to use his latin influence to get someone like the disgruntled Miguel Cabrera.

If that happened it would be fuken amazing..... But while he seems to be having problems there I dont see the Marlins giving up on what a 22 year old if that who is already one of the best hitters in the majors...Im not doubting that Cabrera would like to be here with Ozzie and all the latin players but the Marlins are smarter than that to let him go.

I guess you can always dream.

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 01:28 PM)
Haha... or hey, the Phils are looking to unload some contracts... how about the Venezuelan Bobby Abreu???

We're talking Brian Anderson, Brandon McCarthy and Giovani Gonzalez as compensation for starters.

If Philly wants to save cash, trade Thome and non - tender Padilla.

I'm beginning to wonder if Paulie is going to get the money that we think he will. I personally don't think that there will be that many teams willing to offer him $12 mil a year, meaning if we're anywhere near that we stand a decent chance. Look at what happened with a lot of these guys signed to massive contracts in the last few years. Thome's contract is an albatross around Philly's neck. Delgado is going to start making serious money and probably will have to be traded. Beltran, Beltre and J.D. Drew have all been massive disappointments thus far. Even the relative successes like Troy Glaus and Richie Sexson don't have the impact that their teams expected. I think it's highly possible that teams won't want to get locked into long term massive contracts unless they're sure they get an impact player (pitchers don't fit into this theory because they seem to be in much higher demand).

If he gets much more than $12 mil, he'll move in to the Vlad Guerrero/Carlos Beltran range. He's pretty good, but he's not that good. Plus, think about how few significant offers that these guys and others had. They'll probably be two other teams that make significant offers, meaning if we make a fairly sizeable one we stand a good chance of keeping him, especially if one of them is a fringe contender like the Orioles or Dodgers.

Did you read fathom's post. If those moves that I said happen (which they may if Konerko leaves, which right now doesn't look good because he wants at least 65/5 and we've offered 48/4), our offense is going to suffer dramatically no matter who we bring in to replace.

I know Pods is valuable as a leadoff hitter, it's just annoying he can't play at say 2B or SS where it'd then be easier to find a big bat at LF than at 2B or SS, if you get my drift.

How do you know this? :huh: