Let's talk next year

sox-r-us

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Oct 28, 2005 -> 08:23 PM)
For me, I think the Sox need to re-sign Paulie at 4 years/ $48 million.  If Paulie is the classy guy we think he is, he will take this money.  Even though, some team will no doubt go above and beyon us, this is more than fair and quite frankly greedy if he doesn't take it.  Then, I would try to sign Brian Giles for DH or to trade Rowand or Pods.  Then possible sign Eurbiel Durazo as a bench/DH type and finally just get another lefty via trade or Free agency.  Financially, my plan works:

Add: Konerko ($ 3 million more per year,) Giles ($ 8 million more per year,) Durazo ($ 4 million more per year) and the lefty ($2 million more per year)

Subtract: Carl Everett ($ 4 millin per year) and Frank Thomas ( $ 5 million per year, taking into account buyout.)

Total: a payroll of $ 8 million more.

So then you add player raises and such this comes to around $ 15 million more per year, and a payroll of $ 90 million, something I think is feasible and should be done.

Would you happen to know how Maggs is feeling right now? :snr

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Oct 28, 2005 -> 01:32 PM)
Would you happen to know how Maggs is feeling right now?  :snr

I hope his money keeps his ring finger warm at night. Because Paulie's is gonna be feelin pretty damn good. Ozzie's too. Maybe a bit weighed down.

By the way...KW, sign Konerko immediately. I don't care if it's judged to be a bad contract a few years from now. Do what it takes.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 28, 2005 -> 08:40 PM)
I hope his money keeps his ring finger warm at night.  Because Paulie's is gonna be feelin pretty damn good.  Ozzie's too.  Maybe a bit weighed down.

By the way...KW, sign Konerko immediately.  I don't care if it's judged to be a bad contract a few years from now.  Do what it takes.

I agree...even if we bend towards the side of over-spending, re-sign Paulie....he has become the face of this franchise and we need that to keep getting butts in the stands. And if Frank comes back healthy, this lineup will be even better than last year. Imagine Frank for a full year driving in Scott and Guch....

Starting Lineup:

Pods

Guch

Frank

Paulie

Dye

Rowand

AJP

Crede

Uribe

Starting Pitchers:

Count

Buerhle

Garland

Garcia

BMac

Bullpen:

El Duque (middle relief, long relief if a starter falters or rain delays)

Politte (set up)

Hermanson (set up)

Jenks (closer)

Marte (set up)

Cotts (set up)

Vizcaino (relief when we are losing by big lead or up by big lead)

Bench:

Anderson (Platoon OF to spell Pods, Dye and Rowand and play ~70+ games)

Widger (back up C)

Geoff Blum (Utility infielder)

Ross Gload (1B/extra DH)

Pablo Ozuna (Utility infielder)

Everett????

Willi Harris????

Timo Perez???

Edited by sox-r-us

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Oct 28, 2005 -> 03:47 PM)
I agree...even if we bend towards the side of over-spending, re-sign Paulie....he has become the face of this franchise and we need that to keep getting butts in the stands. And if Frank comes back healthy, this lineup will be even better than last year. Imagine Frank for a full year driving in Scott and Guch....

Starting Lineup:

Pods

Guch

Frank

Paulie

Dye

Rowand

AJP

Crede

Uribe

Starting Pitchers:

Count

Buerhle

Garland

Garcia

BMac

Bullpen:

El Duque (middle relief, long relief if a starter falters or rain delays)

Politte (set up)

Hermanson (set up)

Jenks (closer)

Marte (set up)

Cotts (set up)

Vizcaino (relief when we are losing by big lead or up by big lead)

Bench:

Anderson (Platoon OF to spell Pods, Dye and Rowand and play ~70+ games)

Widger (back up C)

Geoff Blum (Utility infielder)

Ross Gload (1B/extra DH)

Pablo Ozuna (Utility infielder)

Everett????

Willi Harris????

Timo Perez???

Thats basically exactly what I want to see.

From the Chicago Suntimes:

C A.J. Pierzynski Arbitration eligible Should get two-year deal and bump from $2.25M salary

1B Paul Konerko Free agent Strong postseason showing might push him out of Sox' range

2B Tadahito Iguchi Signed ($2.4 million) Offense vanished in postseason, but defense valued

SS Juan Uribe Signed ($3.15 million) Emerged as a force both offensively and defensively

3B Joe Crede Arbitration eligible Could get two-year package or nice raise from $400,000

LF Scott Podsednik Signed ($1.9 million) Leadoff hitters are hot commodities; he's one of the best

CF Aaron Rowand Signed ($3.25 million) Emerging leader is the symbol for grinder baseball

RF Jermaine Dye Signed ($5 million) World Series MVP could move to 1B if Konerko leaves

DH Carl Everett Free agent Sox are expected to buy out his option for $500,000

DH Frank Thomas Free agent Sox to buy out option for $3.5 million but might ink new deal

SP Mark Buehrle Signed ($7.75 million) Left-hander should reclaim title as ace of rotation

SP Jose Contreras Signed ($8 million) Comfortable in Chicago, he will be a force in rotation

SP Freddy Garcia Signed ($9 million) His extension in '05 began move to lock up rotation

SP Jon Garland Arbitration eligible Look for right-hander to land multiyear deal before camp

SP Orlando Hernandez Signed ($4.5 million) Will battle Brandon McCarthy for final spot

RP Dustin Hermanson Signed ($3 million) Offseason should provide needed rest for sore back

RP Neal Cotts Under team control Left-hander will spend at least another year in bullpen

RP Cliff Politte Club option ($1.2 million) Team likely to exercise option on key setup man

Closer Bobby Jenks Under team control Postseason seasoning gave reliever key confidence boost

Keep the Fantastic 4.(or Group 4 if you prefer). I honestly think you have to keep this whole team. There's no way you could significantly increase this team unless someone offers you Manny for your worst prospect.

Anyway, Wilbon just gave the White Sox 33.333% of repeating next year. He said because we're so deep at pitching and we're keeping it for next year.

Anyway, I think if we also somehow keep Frank and PK, that will be our big offseason acquisition. We'll have consistant power added to our lineup.

If the Sox can't reach a deal with Konerko -- that's okay. I realize that Paully had one helluva a postseason, but if the money starts going to five years, $65 million -- that's a lot of money to give to a guy who has had a bad hip problem and will be on the wrong side of 30 very soon.

But -- they need to bring someone else in, obviously. I'd overpay for Brian Giles, and really wouldn't hesitate giving him 3 years/$30 million. There's also Jim Thome -- I've read that Philly is going to have to eat a big portion of that contract, and he's a great bat. There's Adam Dunn, too, but I don't think Ozzie would be able to stand all the K's.

Tough off-season for Williams. I said that last year, too -- this year might be even harder.

Worst case scenario this off season is losing PK. But if that happened why not sign Jaques Jones and move JD to 1B? Adding a good lefty bat would be nice, he's as good if not better in RF as JD, he adds speed on the base paths and he's a good guy in the clubhouse.

If the Sox are going to add I say they should add to their strength, pitching and defense.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Oct 28, 2005 -> 06:33 PM)
Worst case scenario this off season is losing PK. But if that happened why not sign Jaques Jones and move JD to 1B? Adding a good lefty bat would be nice, he's as good if not better in RF as JD, he adds speed on the base paths and he's a good guy in the clubhouse.

If the Sox are going to add I say they should add to their strength, pitching and defense.

If JD moves to 1B I'd rather see Brian Anderson starting in the OF next year.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Oct 28, 2005 -> 11:33 PM)

Tell me -- what about Jacque Jones' .249/.319/.438 line, or his 99 OPS+, screams "Sign me!"?

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 10:23 AM)
Brian Anderson isn't going to be the 4th outfielder, I'm just going to say that for now.  I'll post what some ideas within the next few days.

Thank you, that's the 1st thing that jumped out at me from this thread. You're hurting the development of Brian Anderson if he's going to sit on the bench. He's done in AAA, he produced there. He should be starting for some MLB team in 2006. If that's not going to be with us (which I doubt because apparently KW loves him), then trade him while his value is quite high.

Most likely I think Paulie is going to leave, Dye moves to 1B and Anderson to RF (even though I think he'll be the everyday CF starting from 2007). The big bat the Sox want is going to come at the DH spot. So I don't think Thomas is going to be back, too much of a risk. You've got trade options. Maybe the Sox could look into the possibility of a Jon Garland for Chad Tracy type deal? Arizona would probably throw in a Cintron or a prospect or 2 as well possibly. Garland would be a good sinkerball pitcher at their park (Brandon Webb people), and Tracy gives us the big bat we need, yet he can also play 1B/3B/OF if needed.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 01:10 AM)
Most likely I think Paulie is going to leave, Dye moves to 1B and Anderson to RF (even though I think he'll be the everyday CF starting from 2007). The big bat the Sox want is going to come at the DH spot. So I don't think Thomas is going to be back, too much of a risk. You've got trade options. How about a Jon Garland for Chad Tracy type deal? Arizona would probably throw in a Cintron or a prospect or 2 as well possibly. Garland would be a good sinkerball pitcher at their park (Brandon Webb people), and Tracy gives us the big bat we need, yet he can also play 1B/3B/OF if needed.

No offense, but if all that stuff happened, we'd get 3rd place in the AL Central next season. Our offense would be worse, as would our pitching.

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 28, 2005 -> 09:18 PM)
No offense, but if all that stuff happened, we'd get 3rd place in the AL Central next season.  Our offense would be worse, as would our pitching.

Heck yeah. No need to make drastic changes like that. I have never heard someone suggest trading an 18 game winner 2 days after they won the Series....wowza.