Free agent resource.

qwerty

QUOTE(Wedge @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 10:35 AM)
What about bringing in Cal Eldred for help in the bullpen as middle/long relief and mop-up duty?  He pitched pretty well for the Cardinals last season.

I think the duke is going to be our long man in 06. I expect our bullpen to look something like: Bobby, Neal, Cliff, Dustin, Duke, Myers/Eyre, then maybe Viz.

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rather than start a new thread, I just want to post three names I think the Sox ought to, or perhaps, will look at.

Listed in order of assumed probability:

Kevin Mench

Austin Kearns

Adam Dunn

Now, of course, I want to see Paulie signed through whatever means necessary. These three names are names that can either a) assume full-time DH esponsibilities, or b ) platoon DH esponsibilities with the newly re-signed Frank Thomas.

Thoughts on this, Cheat and co.?

Mench or Kearns would not really be an upgrade from Everett as a DH. Dunn is a completely different story. If he were on the team he instantly becomes our most valuable offensive assest (unless we have a fully healthy Big Frank). He would almost certainly cost us a starting pitcher, though.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 02:28 PM)
Rather than start a new thread, I just want to post three names I think the Sox ought to, or perhaps, will look at.

Listed in order of assumed probability:

Kevin Mench

Austin Kearns

Adam Dunn

Now, of course, I want to see Paulie signed through whatever means necessary.  These three names are names that can either a) assume full-time DH esponsibilities, or b ) platoon DH esponsibilities with the newly re-signed Frank Thomas.

Thoughts on this, Cheat and co.?

I don't know about Mench. He seems like a sleeper guy who might get a bunch of money some where under the radar. He was super-clutch against us and I think it would be a good deal. A big "meh" on Kearns. Dunn, now there is an impact pick-up. He would hit 50+ easy at the Cell.

I was thinking, with the impact of guys like Tadhito Iguchi, Ichiro Suzuki, and Hideki Matsui, and Shingo Takatsu for 1 year, who will be this year's big Japanese signing? I remember reading about a certain OF slugger and a starter/reliever or 2. Anyone have any info on Japanese imports for this season?

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 03:43 PM)
I was thinking, with the impact of guys like Tadhito Iguchi, Ichiro Suzuki, and Hideki Matsui, and Shingo Takatsu for 1 year, who will be this year's big Japanese signing? I remember reading about a certain OF slugger and a starter/reliever or 2. Anyone have any info on Japanese imports for this season?

We've at least discussed one of them over at ATH

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 04:43 PM)

Kenji johjima is the best hitter in japan at this point and time and will likely come over this season. He is a pretty damn good contact hitter and he is just getting better with age ( much like iguchi).

I think Hillenbrand is someone that would be perfect for the sox. Im not suggesting he replace Paulie or Crede, he plays 1B and 3B. First off I want Paulie back, however not at a value hes not worth. I wouldn't pay over 12 mil for him, hes no Vlad. With Everett's option declined and Thomas likely not back Hillenbrand could be DH or play 1st if need be. Hillenbrand made 3.87 mil last year on a 1 year deal, he is not a FA yet becuase he hasn't reached 6 years of playing time, we would have to make a trade.

Last year he hit .290 with 18 hrs and 82 rbi. The last two years he is averaging a BA of .300, 16.5 hrs, and 81 rbi. Id say hes a lock for 20-25 hrs at the cell and its cozy left field dimensions. Id say hes worth between 4-5 mil. Id be happy with a 2 year deal between 9-10 mil with an option for a 3rd. I also think hed make a perfect 5 or 6 hitter, a very rowand like hitter.

LF - Pods

2B - Iguchi

RF - Dye

1B - Konerko

DH - Hillenbrand

CF - Rowand

C - AJ

3B - Crede

SS - Uribe

Hillenbrand walked only 26 times. If you are talking bout for the bench, he is a pricey and impatient bench player. That is not a good combination. I don't think he would be a good DH, I think the DH should be a better overall hitter that will walk, like Erubiel Durazo.

Edited by maggsmaggs

Toronto has a bevy of 1b/3b guys. I could see it happening, and it wouldn't cost much.

However, if we were to lose Konerko(which you don't assume in your post), we'd need a higher impact player than him.

Oh yeah, prepare to get flamed away for suggesting we make any sort of move at all. Something about MVP baseball will be thrown in there as well. :D

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 06:29 PM)
Toronto has a bevy of 1b/3b guys. I could see it happening, and it wouldn't cost much.

However, if we were to lose Konerko(which you don't assume in your post), we'd need a higher impact player than him.

Oh yeah, prepare to get flamed away for suggesting we make any sort of move at all. Something about MVP baseball will be thrown in there as well. :D

Yeah im not suggesting we replace konerko with Hillenbrand. I just think he would make a viable Everett replacement with his BA close to .300 and the ability to still hit 20+ hrs and drive in 80+ runs.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 06:28 PM)
Hillenbrand walked only 26 times.  If you are talking bout for the bench, he is a pricey and impatient bench player.  That is not a good combination.  I don't think he would be a good DH, I think the DH should be a better overall hitter that will walk, like Erubiel Durazo.

I was also thinking about Durazo, he could be had for about 5 mil. He had a great 2004, he hit .321 hit 22 hrs and drove in 88 rbi. In 2003 he only hit .259, which type of hitter is he??? Hatteberg might be another option, he also had a good 2004, he hit .284 with 15hrs and 82 rbi. But he also posted BA's of .250 or so in 2003 and 2005, again which hitter are you getting.

If your talking trade...Mark Texiera should top the list. Problem is the Sox sure as hell aren't going to give the Rangers the pitching they covet.

I can guarantee one thing, El Duque is the only starting pitcher the Sox have on the block. Barring injuries next years rotation (99.9% sure) will be Jose, Buehrle, Garland, Freddy, Bmac

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 10:25 AM)
If your talking trade...Mark Texiera should top the list.  Problem is the Sox sure as hell aren't going to give the Rangers the pitching they covet.

I can guarantee one thing, El Duque is the only starting pitcher the Sox have on the block.  Barring injuries next years rotation (99.9% sure) will be Jose, Buehrle, Garland, Freddy, Bmac

Teixeira's a Bora$$ client don't forget now Jason. Tracy or Overbay more likely I'd say. Jim Thome the wildcard.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 05:25 PM)
If your talking trade...Mark Texiera should top the list.  Problem is the Sox sure as hell aren't going to give the Rangers the pitching they covet.

I can guarantee one thing, El Duque is the only starting pitcher the Sox have on the block.  Barring injuries next years rotation (99.9% sure) will be Jose, Buehrle, Garland, Freddy, Bmac

I agree with you that the rotation will be that, but I'm not sure I'm thrilled about it, for this reason:

Jose Contreras in 2006 as far as I know will be in the final year of his contract. Depending on how you count the money the Yankees sent us, he's being paid something like $6-$7 million.

Right now, he looks like #1 starter material, after a nearly Cy Young worthy 2nd half. If he puts up those exact same numbers in 2006, there isn't a chance in Hell we'll be able to resign him. Not without spending an absolute fortune.

On the other hand, if he can't put up numbers like he did in the 2nd half...well, we probably won't want him anyway at that point.

Contreras's value is almost at its peak right now...the only way it could go higher is if he comes out and continues dominating in the first few months next year. If we could sign him to some sort of an extension it might be a good idea...but here's the question...do you want to let him walk at the end of 06 when right now he could be dealt for an all-star caliber player?

I don't know if I have a good answer myself.

Btw, does anyone know what Buehrle's contract status at the end of 06 is?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 07:21 PM)
I agree with you that the rotation will be that, but I'm not sure I'm thrilled about it, for this reason:

Jose Contreras in 2006 as far as I know will be in the final year of his contract.  Depending on how you count the money the Yankees sent us, he's being paid something like $6-$7 million.

Right now, he looks like #1 starter material, after a nearly Cy Young worthy 2nd half.  If he puts up those exact same numbers in 2006, there isn't a chance in Hell we'll be able to resign him.  Not without spending an absolute fortune.

On the other hand, if he can't put up numbers like he did in the 2nd half...well, we probably won't want him anyway at that point.

Contreras's value is almost at its peak right now...the only way it could go higher is if he comes out and continues dominating in the first few months next year.  If we could sign him to some sort of an extension it might be a good idea...but here's the question...do you want to let him walk at the end of 06 when right now he could be dealt for an all-star caliber player?

I don't know if I have a good answer myself.

Btw, does anyone know what Buehrle's contract status at the end of 06 is?

He's got a team option for 07. 9.5 million I believe. Not sure about the exact dollars on the option.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 06:22 PM)
He's got a team option for 07.  9.5 million I believe.  Not sure about the exact dollars on the option.

(Presumably you're answering my Buehrle question). Either way, as long as the option isn't pushing $15 million, it should be picked up, or at least used as leverage to pull MB into another 3-4 year deal.