Free agent resource.

qwerty

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never understood the lovefest for Adam Dunn, and I guess I never will. Let's play a game comparing Adam Dunn to a mystery person.

Dunn's 2005 stats (543 ABs):

.247 avg, .387 obp, .540 slg, .927 ops

40 hrs, 101 rbis, 114 bbs, 168 k's

.249 avg bases empty, .248 risp, .231 risp w/ 2 outs, .231 bases loaded

Mystery player's last full season (546 ABs):

.267 avg, .390 obp, .562 slg, .952 ops

42 hrs, 105 rbis, 100 bbs, 115 k's

.222 avg bases empty, .280 risp, .305 risp w/ 2 outs, .333 bases loaded

Dunn would cost AT LEAST one of our top starters. The mystery player has injury concerns but would be VERY affordable. WHO do YOU think this mystery player is? And the follow-up question: which situation would most benefit the Sox?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 08:13 PM)
I probably am in the minority on this one, but I think that if we just stood pat except for putting someone else in the DH hole other than Everett...our offense will improve next year just from people not having terrible years.

Rowands numbers were way down from 2004 and we can discuss til we're blue in the face which one is the outlier, but either way, if someone spends some time working on his swing in the offseason, he can be vastly better.

Joe Crede just needs to shorten the slumps and he'll hit .280 with 30 home runs.

Uribe was disappointing for most of last year.  If someone ever sits down with him and teaches him to hit, watch out.  We all know what he can do for an offense.

Iguchi will be in his 2nd year against ML pitching, so he'll know the pitchers a lot better going into the season.  This can only help him.

And A.J. Pierzynski, a career .287 hitter, hit .257 last year, with his worst OPS and BA since he played more than 10 games in a season.

If we hold onto Konerko and he continues to produce, and we can keep a level amount of production from Dye and Podsednik, this team could be far better with the bats than last year.  Each of these guys has significant room for improvement, and in fact should be doing a lot better than they did last year.

And that doesn't count my dream of seeing a very very tall man in the 3 hole again next year.

Oh and by the way...if Konerko could manage to pull a Derek Lee and avoid getting off to a horrible start to the season next year...he could even put up MVP type numbers.  From June 1 on, he hit .312, not counting playoffs.  His OPS was up over 1.000 in both August and September.

These are all good points.

Then again we didn't have any major injuries this season, unless you count Frank.

Everything went our way this past season, which is not likely to happen again.

Sure, people can improve.

But they can also get hurt OR get worse.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 12:42 AM)
Right, I forget some of you guys just completely dismiss batting average.

You said:

...so basically we're trading maybe our best pitcher for a guy that can't hit lhp

He has an .841 OPS against lefties. His OBP vs. lefties is good, as well as his slugging percentage. Him having a .234 batting average means he can't hit lefties?

And -- this completely dismisses what he does against righties (career .255/.397/.532), which, a majority of the pitchers in the league are anyways.

I know the main complaints with Dunn are:

a.) Too many strikeouts.

and

b.) Not good with RISP.

To the first, I say -- well, there aren't many guys who hit 40 homers yearly, along with 30 doubles, along with 100+ walks.

To the second, I say -- he's not seeing a lot of good pitches to hit in those situations (that's my best guess). Why do I say that? His OBP is actually higher with RISP or runners on. I don't think he's seeing a whole lot of good pitches, and when he does see 'em -- he isn't doing much with them. That's a problem, sure, but I'm willing to look past the bad things and towards his good traits.

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 07:08 PM)
I never understood the lovefest for Adam Dunn, and I guess I never will.  Let's play a game comparing Adam Dunn to a mystery person.

Dunn would cost AT LEAST one of our top starters.  The mystery player has injury concerns but would be VERY affordable.  WHO do YOU think this mystery player is?  And the follow-up question: which situation would most benefit the Sox?

If you think Frank is gonna do that next year, you're either an idiot or incredibly high.

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 01:08 AM)
I never understood the lovefest for Adam Dunn, and I guess I never will.  Let's play a game comparing Adam Dunn to a mystery person.

Dunn would cost AT LEAST one of our top starters.  The mystery player has injury concerns but would be VERY affordable.  WHO do YOU think this mystery player is?  And the follow-up question: which situation would most benefit the Sox?

Key words "Last Full Season". He is going to be 37 and has a bad foot and weighs like 270 pounds. Who says he will ever have another full season again? I love the man to death but I do not want to put all of our offensive hopes on the shoulders of a guy who we can't count on to be healthy for a full season.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 08:04 PM)
If you think Frank is gonna do that next year, you're either an idiot or incredibly high.

His abbreviated stats from the past two seasons say he's definitely still capable of producing on that scale. I agree, age is not kind to stats, so take .020 points off his BA and what do you have? Dunn's average from last year. I'd much rather put a least a worthwhile effort into those hopes at a small contract w/ incentives rather that blow one of our starters on a guy who never was endearing to me outside of his fantasy league stats. If Frank goes down again at some point, make a trade mid-season. The Reds will be out of it by then anyway...

I don't like the idea of giving up Contreras or Garland for Dunn. Yes, he's got serious power and walks a lot. But the batting average and strikeouts are just brutal. If he were on the Sox, he would frustrate me so much. I'd rather have someone that could hit .280-.300 with 30-35 homers than someone like Dunn who'll probably hit around .250. If I were going to give up one of our starters, I'd much rather have Teixeira. If Dunn were a FA, I'd say go nuts, but trading one of those starters would really hurt our pitching. Batting in front of Konerko would probably help him a little, but I still doubt he's ever going to hit .270. Another thing to consider is if he gets more strikes because he has Konerko behind him he'll swing and miss even more. I'd rather see someone that actually might cut down on his swing a bit with a man on second to put it in play, as opposed to someone that's usually going to strikeout or walk.

Now if you trade prospects instead and get a lesser slugger like a Chad Tracy or Lyle Overbay instead of Adam Dunn, would you do that instead, so you wouldn't have to trade from your rotation?

I think that would definately be the ideal option. Especially for Tracy.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 12:03 AM)
Now if you trade prospects instead and get a lesser slugger like a Chad Tracy or Lyle Overbay instead of Adam Dunn, would you do that instead, so you wouldn't have to trade from your rotation?

Thats a rhetorical question.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 11:03 PM)

I don't think Arizona would move Tracy. They're supposedly trying hard to move Glaus or Gonzalez because of their contracts.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 10:05 PM)
I think that would definately be the ideal option.  Especially for Tracy.

Hell yes, if only they would move him. Some Boston paper said 'Zona may move him, but it was all speculation and poor speculation at that. I'd be surprised if they did, but I'd want the Sox to be first in line on that if they did.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 02:16 PM)
I don't think Arizona would move Tracy. They're supposedly trying hard to move Glaus or Gonzalez because of their contracts.

And good luck to them for that. It's going to be seriously hard for them to dump those contracts, and get the quality return they'd want. Not to mention, the harm trading the fan favorite in Gonzo would do to that franchise and their fans.

They need young pitching in a serious way. If you started a Chad Tracy for Gio Gonzalez, Dan Haigwood, Damaso Marte package, Josh Byrnes would definitely take a look at that.

I realize that the Diamondbacks have extra position players. They just locked up a washed up firstbaseman that had a career year as well as brought back Clayton (if I remember right, maybe I was dreaming?). They have a full outfield and Glaus at third. I could possibly see them moving Tracy as an absolute last resort if they couldn't move some other player. I'm not gonna get myself excited about it yet until there's actual confirmation he's available.

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 03:09 PM)
I realize that the Diamondbacks have extra position players.  They just locked up a washed up firstbaseman that had a career year as well as brought back Clayton (if I remember right, maybe I was dreaming?).  They have a full outfield and Glaus at third.  I could possibly see them moving Tracy as an absolute last resort if they couldn't move some other player.  I'm not gonna get myself excited about it yet until there's actual confirmation he's available.

This is what they've got at the moment at 1B, 3B and the OF.

Chad Tracy

Tony Clark

Troy Glaus

Conor Jackson

Carlos Quentin

Luis Terrero

Shawn Green

Luis Gonzalez

Can anybody say logjam!!!! :bang

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 05:52 PM)
These are all good points.

Then again we didn't have any major injuries this season, unless you count Frank.

Everything went our way this past season, which is not likely to happen again.

Sure, people can improve.

But they can also get hurt OR get worse.

Couple points...first there are probably some very good reasons why we didn't have any gigantic, season-ending type injuries. One of the major ones is probably the Ozzie Sunday Lineup card...when you're sitting at least 1 day per week, you keep your body healthier, and things may be less likely to snap. You take less of a beating. Your more rested, etc.

Secondly, for the most part the core of our team is fairly young. Buehrle, Garland, Crede, Uribe, ARow, Jenks, Cotts, etc. Konerko isn't even 30 yet.

But third...we did have plenty of injuries this year. Just look up and down the list.

Crede - out for a month after a HBP.

El Duque - shoulder

Podsednik - 15 day DL stint, plus a nagging injury that seriously damaged his running game for at least 2 motnsh and cost him a stolen base title.

Marte - at least 1 DL stint.

Crede - Back trouble.

Hermanson - Upper back trouble and lower back trouble - cost us our closer at the end of the season.

Dye - bug bites.

Frank Thomas - foot.

Ross Gload - Shoulder

What's the common thread through all of those except the Podsednik one? When the guy went down, we found someone else to do the job. Crede - Pablo. El Duque - BMac. Marte - Cotts. Hermanson - Jenks. Thomas - Everett. Gload - Blum. Podsednik - B.A.

We had our fair share of injuries, but our organization was good enough to overcome them.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 01:59 AM)
Unfortunately, Eyre the best LHRP out there, is probably going to get a nice 2 or 3 year deal.

Billy Wagner, B.J. Ryan, and Eddie Guardado would take offense to that.

As for what the Sox should do this offseason, improve the DH spot (though I think we'll end up with Anderson there), and sign another good reliever.

Edited by Dam8610

Leo daigle!1?!1?!1?omgwtfl0l3rZ!1?!1?!1?!1?

Orioles signed first baseman Leo Daigle to a minor league contract.

Daigle put up some of the best numbers in the minors over the first half of last season, but he did so as a 25-year-old in the Carolina League. When the White Sox tried him in Triple-A, he hit .220 with two homers in 91 at-bats. He was then returned to Single-A Winston-Salem, where he finished up with a .341/.414/.637 line and 29 homers in 411 at-bats. Now 26, he hardly qualifies as a prospect. Whether he plays at Double- or Triple-A next year will depend on what happens with Walter Young. Nov. 2 - 1:08 am et

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 05:10 PM)
Billy Wagner, B.J. Ryan, and Eddie Guardado would take offense to that.

As for what the Sox should do this offseason, improve the DH spot (though I think we'll end up with Anderson there), and sign another good reliever.

As LHRP, what I should of said was the best lefty out there that won't be closing (although Ryan may perhaps be setting up). Eyre's likely to stay in Southern California anyway.

Here me out..

First we are not trading any starting pitching, This team is made on 3 things.. Pitching, Speed and Defense. With that said. I think we can all agree that SP is not going anywhere, unless a Super deal is made. And right now I don't see any 1 player that Ozzie would want to dismantle the starting pitching staff.

2nd, I would like to see us grab a #2 type hitter via trade to move TI to the #3 hole. If not I would like to see Rowand been given the change to hit in the 3 hole. with TI still in the 2. Even with Thomas back, I would like to see him in the 5th slot with Dye in 6. AJ 7th, Crede 8th and Uribe 9th. Now of cource this is assuming that Paulie is back in the Number 4 slot. But, we still are in diar need of a LHB.

Now if Paulie is not back, this changes things.. Depending on which route we take to use the money as well as obtain a repalcement. Personally I would love to see the Sox make Dye a 1b, and go after Giles.. And then have Anderson be our 4th OF, and Timo our 5th. Dye being on 32 on opening day has 3-4 years left in him to play sign him to an extention before the start of ST. Dye years here, 2 can be spent at 1b the other 2 at DH, after Frank leaves in 2008. My goal is starting the 07 season of an OF of Rowand,Pods and Anderson. This also would include Gload on the bench as well.

The lineup would look like this

LF Pods

2b Iguchi

RF Giles

DH Thomas

1b Dye

C AJ

CF Rowand

3b Crede

SS Uribe

I'd say our chances of signing Brian Giles would be less than 1% right now. And the chances of Ross Gload being around in 2007, let alone 2006, aren't that high either.

Gload would be the back-up just for 06, which is the only season I am making moves for.

I do agree that we have a better shot of obtaining Pujols in a trade that giles in the FA market. Both are about slim and none.. With None winning the race by 3 lengths.