Free agent resource.

qwerty

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 06:00 PM)
Howard, as in Ryan Howard?  No way the Phils trade him even if they can't move Thome.  They'll make him play the OF if worst came to worst.

I doubt this very much. They're bad enough defensively already in the OF as it is, and you'd have an OF of Howard at LF (who'd still be trying to learn the position), Abreu in CF, and Burrell in RF (who struggles enough in LF defensively as it is).

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You really can't say what the Phillies will or will not do now that Gillick is the GM. He can't really "stand pat" because he has come in and make a statement and shake things up. He'll certainly have some different ideas than Wade, but that they will be at this point is unknown.

The Phillies aren't going to trade Ryan Howard. They will try to dump Jim Thome, even if they have to pick up a lot of his contract. Neither guy can play any other position but first base. Trading an extremely promising, cheap 25 year old first baseman to keep a banged-up 35 year old slugger who is making a lot of money would be a really stupid move. I wouldn't be surprised if they try to move Pat Burrell as well.

QUOTE(knightni @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 01:24 AM)
El Duque, Gload, Marte and Haigwood for Delgado and cash?  :huh

I don't think they'd take Duque, and I think we either have to add in Aaron or one of our top 3 OF prospects. It's at least a fathomable possibility.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 02:04 AM)
The Phillies aren't going to trade Ryan Howard.  They will try to dump Jim Thome, even if they have to pick up a lot of his contract.  Neither guy can play any other position but first base.  Trading an extremely promising, cheap 25 year old first baseman to keep a banged-up 35 year old slugger who is making a lot of money would be a really stupid move.  I wouldn't be surprised if they try to move Pat Burrell as well.

I read somewhere something similar where they might try to move another one of their high priced OFs as well. I know I'm dreaming, but the Venezuelan Abreu would be just what this team needs. A power lefty, hits for high average, steals a ton, perfect 3 hitter.... sigh, back to reality...

Agent Joe Bick said the Mariners have expressed interest in free agent Brian Giles.

"Certainly, the Mariners are among those we would be serious with," Bick said. "He wants to play where someone is interested in winning. He'd like to be in the playoffs. With a few pieces, there's no reason why they couldn't." Well, perhaps with a few very good pieces. The Mariners are joining the Cardinals and Indians in pursuing Giles. The Padres have pulled their three-year, $21 million offer off the table for now, although they remain interested in re-signing him. Nov. 4 - 3:33 am et

I don't buy into Paulies hip problem, not one bit. The guy has had no serious injuries in his entire career, so I see no reason why so many people think he's going to completely wear down.

That said, I think 7 year deals in general are bad. If it were the NFL and the non guaranteed contracts I'd have no problem with it, but if Paulie gets a 7 year deal, he'd have to take a substantial discount in the $/yr aspect.

I think the most I go with Paulie is 5yr 13M per season. If he wanted some optoins fine, but the only way I'd go 7 yrs is if it were a 7yr 70 mill deal and Paulie wouldn't take that.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 10:24 AM)
I think the most I go with Paulie is 5yr 13M per season.  If he wanted some optoins fine, but the only way I'd go 7 yrs is if it were a 7yr 70 mill deal and Paulie wouldn't take that.

I bet you this is very close to what he'll end up signing for...the 5 year number with options. I can't imagine even the Angels going to 7 years on Paulie - for crying out loud, they only gave Vlad the Impaler a 5 year deal.

I read somewhere something similar where they might try to move another one of their high priced OFs as well.  I know I'm dreaming, but the Venezuelan Abreu would be just what this team needs.  A power lefty, hits for high average, steals a ton, perfect 3 hitter.... sigh, back to reality...

I love Abreu, but once he won the HR derby the rest of the season he wasn't the same player. If he can get back hit regualr swing I would love to have him here.. But what his contract situation?

Just think about this lineup

LF Pods

2b Guchi

RF Abreau

DH Thomas/Anderson

1b Dye

CF Rowand

C Aj

3b Crede

SS Uribe

Edited by AnthraxFan93

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 12:20 PM)
I love Abreu, but once he won the HR derby the rest of the season he wasn't the same player. If he can get back hit regualr swing I would love to have him here.. But what his contract situation?

# $3 million signing bonus

# $8.5 million in 2003

# $10 million in 2004

# $12.5 million in 2005

# $13 million in 2006

# $15 million in 2007

# Either $2 million buyout or $16 million club option in 2008

# Plus these escalator clauses:

If he finishes first in MVP voting, base salary goes up $275,000 in each succeeding year, including option year; or $150,000 if second in MVP; or $100,000 if third.

Plus: $100,000 for World Series MVP; $50,000 for LCS MVP; $50,000 for Gold Glove; $50,000 for Silver Slugger; $50,000 for making All-Star team; $50,000 for postseason Sporting News or Baseball American all-star teams; $100,000 for MVP (or $75,000 if second, or $50,000 if third).

Plus: complete no-trade clause through the life of the contract.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 02:28 PM)
# $3 million signing bonus

# $8.5 million in 2003

# $10 million in 2004

# $12.5 million in 2005

# $13 million in 2006

# $15 million in 2007

# Either $2 million buyout or $16 million club option in 2008

# Plus these escalator clauses:

If he finishes first in MVP voting, base salary goes up $275,000 in each succeeding year, including option year; or $150,000 if second in MVP; or $100,000 if third.

Plus: $100,000 for World Series MVP; $50,000 for LCS MVP; $50,000 for Gold Glove; $50,000 for Silver Slugger; $50,000 for making All-Star team; $50,000 for postseason Sporting News or Baseball American all-star teams; $100,000 for MVP (or $75,000 if second, or $50,000 if third).

Plus: complete no-trade clause through the life of the contract.

That's a pretty complicated contract.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 02:50 PM)
For just one of them, I assume?

I just heard Ozzie wants more speed at the top, so I had to think about who's available that would fill that?  Somebody plausible, that is...not Furcal.

Anyone else out there?

Via trade or FA?

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 02:41 PM)
Ozzie has said a few times that he wants to add more speed at the top of the order, right?

He just said that he wants to add more speed, period. There are only a few players out there I think that would bump Tad from the 2 hole if they landed here.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 03:09 PM)
What if you had Pierre bat 9th?

8th-Uribe

9th-Pierre

1st-Podesdnik

2nd-Iguchi

I wouldn't mind that at all but where are you saying Juan is playing?? Jermaine dh'ing with aaron in right or are you saying we'd be getting rid of Aaron?

Edited by Rowand44