Free agent resource.

qwerty

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 21, 2005 -> 08:37 PM)
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/spor...677_mari21.html

M's to sign Japanese catcher Johjima

Torrealba could make sense for a team like Detroit possibly if they wanted to trade Ivan Rodriguez. An I-Rod for Javier Vazquez swap, with salary and prospects going Arizona's way perhaps?

According to The Associated Press, Kenji Jojima will get a three-year, $16.5 million contract from the Mariners.

He could also earn an additional $2.5 million in bonuses. The third guaranteed season is a surprise, especially since the Mariners used the third pick in the 2005 draft on a college catcher, Jeff Clement. Clement should be ready before 2009, so he could arrive as a DH or become trade bait, depending on how Jojima performs. Nov. 21 - 1:49 pm et

Source: The Associated Press

Padres GM Kevin Towers believes free agent Brian Giles would return to the team for a "little" less money than he could get from another club.

"I believe they would give us a little bit of a discount," Towers said. "A little one." The Padres' last offer to Giles was for $25.5 million over three years. They'd likely have to get closer to $30 million to keep him. Agent Joe Bick recently submitted a counterproposal to the team. "We feel like we cut the proposal to the bone," Bick said. "I explained to Kevin: 'Here's a deal that we will do.' Just based on what else we're hearing from other people, we won't do less. Obviously, we hope they'll do it." Nov. 21 - 1:53 pm et

Source: San Diego Union-Tribune

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Nov 21, 2005 -> 11:04 PM)
Just heard Gammons on the ESPN radio on the trade with Beckett, he mentioned the Cubs are throwing 12 mil at Howry..Didn't go into years.

Man they never learn their lesson, one good year does not equal greatness..

Has to be three years for 12 million... considering that is what he is looking for.

Edited by qwerty

3yrs $11M + $1.5M signing bonus + No-Trade clause + Incentives = Scott Eyre

3yrs $12M + $???M signing bonus + NTC??? + Incentives = Bobby Howry

That's atleast $24.5M over the next 3 years to two 32+ year old ex-White Sox middle relievers who are comming off career years.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 21, 2005 -> 09:26 PM)

That's atleast $24.5M over the next 3 years to two 32+ year old ex-White Sox middle relievers who are comming off career years.

They'd have been better off throwing 3 yr 8 or 9 mill per after one Billy Wagner.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 21, 2005 -> 11:26 PM)

Where's Matt Karchner when you need him?

Wowza.

The Mets' pursuit of Billy Wagner may have paid off, as several sources are saying a deal could be announced as soon as tomorrow.

Mets GM Omar Minaya has apparently offered a four-year, $40 million contract to Wagner, a deal that the Phillies are not expected to match.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 22, 2005 -> 06:21 AM)
Wowza.

The Mets' pursuit of Billy Wagner may have paid off, as several sources are saying a deal could be announced as soon as tomorrow.

Mets GM Omar Minaya has apparently offered a four-year, $40 million contract to Wagner, a deal that the Phillies are not expected to match.

I wish the sox would have went after him, just imagine our bullpen after wagner would be in it.

QUOTE(timotime @ Nov 22, 2005 -> 06:25 PM)
not for 10 million a year. i would flip out every time he blew a save if he was getting paid that much. nothing short of perfection should be expected from a reliever who gets $10 mil a year.

I'm not saying that i would overpay for him, but if the price was right.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5106080

Giles recently gave the club his final proposal, believed to be in the range of $30 million over three years. The Padres almost certainly won't invest that much in one player; they also need to replace free-agent catcher Ramon Hernandez, upgrade their starting pitching and fortify their bullpen, given the likely departure of free-agent closer Trevor Hoffman.

If he's asking for three years, $30 million, that's certainly a fair request -- one which the Sox should fully oblige to. In fact, make it three years, $33 million. He'll be worth it the first two years, and, while he might be overpaid the last year, that's going to happen with whichever bat that the Sox are rumored to be interested in (Konerko, Thome, Delgado).

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 22, 2005 -> 11:35 PM)
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5106080

If he's asking for three years, $30 million, that's certainly a fair request -- one which the Sox should fully oblige to.  In fact, make it three years, $33 million.  He'll be worth it the first two years, and, while he might be overpaid the last year, that's going to happen with whichever bat that the Sox are rumored to be interested in (Konerko, Thome, Delgado).

Well the yankees are big time players in this. In the past his no trade clause included both the white sox and yankees if i recall correctly. I am guessing if he is willing to go to the yankees (always has been reported he wants no part of the east coast) that he wouldn't mind coming to a team that just won a world series the year before. I am sorely disappointed that the white sox are looking in any other direction than giles. He can do more for us than than any of the other options and for less ( money and talent wise). :crying

QUOTE(qwerty @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 02:21 AM)
Well the yankees are big time players in this. In the past his no trade clause included both the white sox and yankees if i recall correctly. I am guessing if he is willing to  go to the yankees (always has been reported he wants no part of the east coast) that he wouldn't mind coming to a team that just won a world series the year before. I am sorely disappointed that the white sox are looking in any other direction than giles. He can do more for us than than any of the other options and for less ( money and talent wise). :crying

He probably isn't really willing to go to NY, but his agent is smart enough to keep the Yankees in the fray to drive up the price as much as possible.

Mets look to be making an insane push for Delgado...

Carlos Delgado - 1B - FLA - Nov. 23 - 2:57 am et

According to the New York Post, the Mets are ready to give up Yusmeiro Petit and take on Carlos Delgado's entire $48 million salary to bring the first baseman to New York.

The Mets were barely willing to pay him that much over four years when he was a free agent a year ago -- their first offer was for about $33 million over three years. Now they're supposedly willing to pay him $16 million per year -- it will actually be more if they have to make up the difference in the state taxes between Florida, which has none, and New York -- and give up one of the top-10 pitching prospects in baseball. It's foolish, but it'd certainly give them a lineup to be reckoned with. Nov. 23 - 2:57 am et

Source: New York Post