Free agent resource.

qwerty

QUOTE(daa84 @ Dec 4, 2005 -> 04:53 PM)
not sure where to put this...but i didnt think it needed its own thread...so ill just put it in FA resource, even tho it was a trade rumor....was being the key word

per gammons....

The White Sox said they were interested in Vazquez, but the Diamondbacks wanted to tie Glaus to him.

Only feasible name I can come up with to tie to this rumor would be Jon Garland. If Garland expressed some desire to sign with another club after the 2006 season, I could see Kenny showing some mild interest.

But, when I really think about it. Nothing doing.

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(daa84 @ Dec 4, 2005 -> 04:53 PM)
not sure where to put this...but i didnt think it needed its own thread...so ill just put it in FA resource, even tho it was a trade rumor....was being the key word

per gammons....

The White Sox said they were interested in Vazquez, but the Diamondbacks wanted to tie Glaus to him.

KW likes Vazquez a lot, but I can't imagine why he'd be after Vazquez. Something about having 6 starting pitchers should kill that thought instantly.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Dec 4, 2005 -> 04:56 PM)
Only feasible name I can come up with to tie to this rumor would be Jon Garland.  If Garland expressed some desire to sign with another club after the 2006 season, I could see Kenny showing some mild interest.

But, when I really think about it.  Nothing doing.

same here...glaus + vazquez is a massive amount of money, if you ask me that would only ever even come close to happening in a 3 way trade

QUOTE(daa84 @ Dec 4, 2005 -> 04:57 PM)
same here...glaus + vazquez is a massive amount of money, if you ask me that would only ever even come close to happening in a 3 way trade

Maybe Arizona is using strategy with Vazquez. Its doubtful there is a team out there that would be willing to pick up both his and Glaus' contracts. Vazquez demanded a trade so if he isn't traded by a certain date, he becomes a free agent. Given his performance the last couple of seasons, its hard to imagine he would be in line for a contract that pays him as much as his current one, so he either recinds the request, or Arizona lets him go and saves a ton of money.

per gammons....

Did Gammons say this recently or was it before we had re-signed Konerko? Because adding Glaus now wouldn't make much sense.

it was from an article today dated today

Maybe Kenny wants Vazquez because he thinks Garland just wants to sign with us for a year, become a free agent after 2006, and go for a huge contract? Vazquez will earn $8.5 million next season and $9.5 million in 2007 because the Yankees are still picking up $3 million on each year of his deal. He could probably pitch like a #2 again under Don Cooper.

Edited by SSH2005

I believe Cooper could make Vazquez better, but that money would have to eliminate the Sox from getting him.  That is, unless Arizona wants to pay for like half the contract (that NY isn't paying).

Good point, I was just assuming that Arizona would have to pick up some of Vazquez's contract. I should have said that.

:lol: I love rotoworld:

According to FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal, the Cubs could make a serious run at A.J. Burnett after losing out on Rafael Furcal.

Well, he's probably a better hitter than Neifi Perez, but can he really play shortstop? The Cardinals and Blue Jays appear to be the top suitors for Burnett at the moment, though the Mets, Nationals, Rangers and Mariners could also be in the running.

QUOTE(forrestg @ Dec 5, 2005 -> 01:15 AM)
oZZIE likes Vaquez, looks like Garland wants to see what the free market will bring him.  I'd say garland cash and another player.

Am I reading this wrong? You'd trade Garland + other things for Vazquez?

Garland is entering the prime of his career, is three years younger, and is very, very cheap. I don't care if Garland is going to walk in '06, I'd much rather have the two top draft picks than a couple more years of Vazquez.

Vazquez, btw, gave up 35 homers last year, in a park similar to US Cellular Field. That's nine more than Freddy Garcia, who led the team with 26.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 4, 2005 -> 10:09 PM)
Looks like the Cardinals are close to a 5 year, $50 million deal with A.J. Burnett.  More bad news for Cubs fans after they lost out on Furcal.

If Burnett can stay healthy, I'm very interested to find out what Dave Duncan could do with him.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 4, 2005 -> 06:46 PM)
:lol:  I love rotoworld:

According to FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal, the Cubs could make a serious run at A.J. Burnett after losing out on Rafael Furcal.

Well, he's probably a better hitter than Neifi Perez, but can he really play shortstop? The Cardinals and Blue Jays appear to be the top suitors for Burnett at the moment, though the Mets, Nationals, Rangers and Mariners could also be in the running.

They were full of solid lines today. In fact, this whole offseason has been awesome for the most part. The Ponson thing was awesome, they took a shot at the A's for signing Loaiza(Jose Lima had a good outing in Winter Ball, and they suggested the A's were smart for signing Loaiza now because Lima's assured to get $8-9 mill a year based off of one winter league outing), and they took at shot at Sammy today when he said several teams are interested...something along the lines of "It's too bad most of them were from the Atlantic League." :lol:

:notworthy Roto(qwerty)world

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Dec 5, 2005 -> 12:22 AM)
They were full of solid lines today.  In fact, this whole offseason has been awesome for the most part.  The Ponson thing was awesome, they took a shot at the A's for signing Loaiza(Jose Lima had a good outing in Winter Ball, and they suggested the A's were smart for signing Loaiza now because Lima's assured to get $8-9 mill a year based off of one winter league outing), and they took at shot at Sammy today when he said several teams are interested...something along the lines of "It's too bad most of them were from the Atlantic League."  :lol:

:notworthy Roto(qwerty)world

The Ponson line was absolutely hilarious.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Dec 5, 2005 -> 05:48 PM)
What was it?

Free agent Sidney Ponson is telling teams he would prefer to start, but would close under the right circumstances.

A friend of Ponson's told FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal that the right-hander has stopped drinking, lost weight and grown his hair out. We were skeptical, but if he's really grown his hair out, a four- or five-year deal would seem to be appropriate.

Free agent Sidney Ponson is telling teams he would prefer to start, but would close under the right circumstances.

A friend of Ponson's told FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal that the right-hander has stopped drinking, lost weight and grown his hair out. We were skeptical, but if he's really grown his hair out, a four- or five-year deal would seem to be appropriate.

:lolhitting

Thanks That was good.

Lets see, trade Garland for Vazquez albatross of a contract? Ya, that makes sense. I'd rather see the Sox take Garland and offer him 10 million a year long term (and no I don't think that would be wise either) but it would be smarter than dealing Garland for Vazquez.

Lets see, trade Garland for Vazquez albatross of a contract?  Ya, that makes sense.  I'd rather see the Sox take Garland and offer him 10 million a year long term (and no I don't think that would be wise either) but it would be smarter than dealing Garland for Vazquez.

Ja.. I agree, The yankess overpaid for JV..Who would have thought that!?!?! No way I trade Jon to AZi unless 2 players are coming back by the names of jackson and webb.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Dec 5, 2005 -> 04:44 PM)
Ja.. I agree, The yankess overpaid for JV..Who would have thought that!?!?!  No way I trade Jon to AZi unless 2 players are coming back by the names of jackson and webb.

ok, granted I would rather have garland for the future but if we can't resign him don't take the risk of losing him totally to free agency. I'm sure we won't be able to sign Joe Crede either. This might be crazy how about Crede and Garland for Glaus and Vasquez.

Here's a hilarious example of how the Cubs stupidly overpaid Neifi Perez:

Cubs signed Neifi Perez for $5 million -- $2.5 million each year.
Cardinals signed infielder Deivi Cruz, who had been with the Nationals, to a one-year, $800,000 contract.

Keep in mind that both Neifi Perez and Deivi Cruz play the same positions (SS, 2B, and 3B). Neifi Perez is 32 years old while Deivi Cruz is 33 years old.

Neifi Perez's career stats: .270 AVG .301 OBP .380 SLG .681 OPS

Deivi Cruz's career stats: .269 AVG .293 OBP .388 SLG .682 OPS

:lolhitting