Free agent resource.

qwerty

And aside from Konerko, the 2 most important players on our roster right now that we need to make sure do not depart in the next few years are Garland and Buehrle.

That's exactly what I was getting at. We will need to try hard to re-sign Buehrle in 2008 so he doesn't go to the Cardinals. Cutting salary from our outfield will be the best place to free up money since we have good outfield prospects.

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 03:44 PM)
That's exactly what I was getting at.  We will need to try hard to re-sign Buehrle in 2008 so he doesn't go to the Cardinals.  Cutting salary from our outfield will be the best place to free up money since we have good outfield prospects.

I wouldn't mind at all if we made a full court press to lock up Buehrle at least a year before his last option year with us. Hopefully, a couple of rings, a comfortable situation, and a good friend of his on the pitching staff will give him some extra motivation to stay, if we're willing to pay him. Which we damn well better be. If it came down even to Konerko vs. Buehrle for dollars, I pick Mark.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 05:37 PM)
Okay, so make it Rowand and Marte for Chad Tracy.  I would think that Tracy, who has the potential to be a legit #3 power-hitter, is worth more than Rowand and Marte especially to us since a #3 hitter is the main hole in our lineup.  The Diamondbacks would definately be interested in Marte since they had the worst bullpen in baseball this year.  Luis Terrero stinks so Rowand could replace him in center field.  The Diamondbacks could then trade either Luis Gonzalez or Shawn Green to make room for Carlos Quentin in the outfield.  Brian Anderson has to play sooner or later and he would replace Rowand in center field.  A guy like Mike Myers could replace Marte in our bullpen.  All in all, it sounds like a great trade to me.

you need to be more conservative. trading away a great center feilder and a shaky (not even shaky all the time) reliever for a prospect is rarely ever a good move.

QUOTE(bighurt2719 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 12:59 PM)
you need to be more conservative. trading away a great center feilder and a shaky (not even shaky all the time) reliever for a prospect is rarely ever a good move.

A Prospect? LMAO. :lol:

Chad Tracy hit 27 Home Runs in his 2nd season in the Major Leagues, and had a .911 OPS. He is NOT a prospect.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 06:08 PM)
A Prospect? LMAO.  :lol:

Chad Tracy hit 27 Home Runs in his 2nd season in the Major Leagues, and had a .911 OPS. He is NOT a prospect.

I guarantee he hits 25-35 HR's next year if he played everyday on the Sox. I'd absolutely love to have him on the club. But I think everyone here knows me and you ahve been talking him up for the past year or so.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 01:10 PM)
I guarantee he hits 25-35 HR's next year if he played everyday on the Sox.  I'd absolutely love to have him on the club.  But I think everyone here knows me and you ahve been talking him up for the past year or so.

Josh Byrnes is going to have a make a move somewhere there. If they trade Glaus, could they handle Tracy playing everyday at 3rd and hope he gets better defensively?

Of course if they want the young pitching they really need, Tracy's probably their best trade chip, unless they decided Conor Jackson was also expendable.

A Prospect? LMAO.  :lol:

I was so confused by him calling Tracy a prospect that I thought he misread my post. I thought he thought that I said we should trade Rowand and Marte for Carlos Quentin. :D

That's exactly what I was getting at.  We will need to try hard to re-sign Buehrle in 2008 so he doesn't go to the Cardinals.  Cutting salary from our outfield will be the best place to free up money since we have good outfield prospects.

I agree we have to watch the finances, but how does tracey help that? In 08 would he not be eligable for Arb. and hitting .300/25/80.. make more than what we are paying rowand right now?

Looking at the numbers yeah it makes sense to bring him here, with or without Paulie resiging. If he does, and we resign Frank.. Now we have a log jam, how do you plan on handling that?

Edited by AnthraxFan93

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 10:33 PM)
I agree we have to watch the finances, but how does tracey help that? In 08 would he not be eligable for Arb. and hitting .300/25/80.. make more than what we are paying rowand right now?

Looking at the numbers yeah it makes sense to bring him here, with or without Paulie resiging. If he does, and we resign Frank.. Now we have a log jam, how do you plan on handling that?

I assume we're talking Chad Tracy here.

The answer is quite simple. You bring Frank back, and he's 100% from day one, Tracy then becomes a super utility player, playing atleast 4, perhaps 5 positions for the Sox. His bat is that good. Thomas doesn't come back 100%, and you have a stud LHB for anywhere high in the order. I like Dye hitting 5th, for some reason...I think Tracy-PK-Dye would be just f***in ridiculously solid. You add Thomas anywhere in that order, be it 2nd or 6th or 3rd or 4th or 5th...wherever...and you are unbelievably good and deep offensively.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 09:39 PM)
I assume we're talking Chad Tracy here.

The answer is quite simple.  You bring Frank back, and he's 100% from day one, Tracy then becomes a super utility player, playing atleast 4, perhaps 5 positions for the Sox.  His bat is that good.  Thomas doesn't come back 100%, and you have a stud LHB for anywhere high in the order.  I like Dye hitting 5th, for some reason...I think Tracy-PK-Dye would be just f***in ridiculously solid.  You add Thomas anywhere in that order, be it 2nd or 6th or 3rd or 4th or 5th...wherever...and you are unbelievably good and deep offensively.

LOL, Frank hitting 2nd?? I remember when Manuel did that for a few games, good times.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 09:46 PM)
I remember Carlos Lee batting second but never Frank.  Did Manuel really do that?

Yes sir. It was only a few games, but the offense wasn't hitting s*** and he just messed around with the lineup and had Frank bat 2nd for 2 or so games.

Agent Craig Landis said Paul Konerko is seeking a deal of six or seven years, possibly including a strict no-trade clause.

"Paul wants a long deal. He wants to spend the second half of his career with a team for the entire time," Landis said. "He doesn't want to be moving around. He wants to settle into a community and buy a house." Landis revealed that the Angels, who are expected to be among Konerko's biggest suitors, have already made contact with him. "They contacted me a couple of days ago to say they are interested," he said. "That's all they said, to officially let us know. They are interested and will be talking to us at a more appropriate time." Nov. 3 - 4:24 am et

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 03:53 AM)
No suprise there with Konerko. If a team is willing to do that long of a deal, they'll probably get him.

I know, but it just amazes that people here are still saying give him whatever he wants when it will cripple us in the future.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 04:32 AM)
Because of his chronic injuries like his hip condition, IIRC.

I wouldn't care if he was 27 and no injuries. Six and seven year deals do not go smooth in any sport. Teams always end up trying to get out of the contract by trading them and can either not get value close to what they are worth or are not able to trade them because of stupid no trade clauses. Five year deals should be the max in any sport imo Just so many different things can go wrong.... to many risks for my liking. I think it would come back to bite the sox in the ass ( personally i doubt the sox will offer more than five years and i am sure the fifth year is more than they would like). Four year with a fifth year option is probally more what the sox are thinking going by past signings and resignings.

If you cannot recall i hated the beltran signing for seven years too. I mean this contract is ridiculous and i am bet konerko will have/want some of these little quirks.

Carlos Beltran: signed 7-year deal worth 119M on 1/11/05

- he receives an 11M signing bonus: 5M paid as soon as the commissioner's office formally approves the contract and the the other 6M in installments of 2M on June 15, 2005, Jan. 15, 2006 and Jan. 15, 2007 (w/ no taxes applied)

- + he receives salaries of 10M in 2005, 12M in both 2006 and 2007 and 18.5M in 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011

- + 8.5M each year in 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011 is deferred at 1.7175% compounded interest

- + the 22M in deferred salary will be paid out over the 7 years after the contract expires: installments of  $3,142,857 each July 1st starting in 2012 with the last being on July 1st, 2018

- + he can earn award bonuses:  500K for MVP award and 1M for a second MVP then 1.5M for third and all MVP awards thereafter; 200K for 2nd thru 5th place MVP voting finish; 100K for an All-Star selection; 100K for receiving the most All-Star votes in the league; 100K for being named a Postseason All-Star or player of the year; 250K for WS MVP; 150K for LCS MVP; 100K per Gold Glove and 100K per Silver Slugger; 100K for Hank Aaron Award

- + bonuses he has earned: 100K for 2005 All-Star selection

- + the deal includes a full No-Trade clause

- + he receives a personal pitching machine from the team

- + some traveling costs for his family is paid by the team

- + he receives the best available 15-person luxury suite at all home games, including the post-season, though he must pay for post-season tickets

- + he receives a Hotel Suite when on the road

- + the team will lease him a conditioned ocular (eye) enhancer machine (a device that throws colored, numbered tennis balls to batters at 150 mph or faster)

- + will contribute 150K annually to a charity of his choice and 150K annually to charity of club's choice

- + the team has agreed not to offer him arbitration when he becomes a Free Agent after the contract expires in 2011 (meaning the team must decide whether or not to re-sign him by Dec. 7th, 2011)

- + the Player's Association values the deal at $115,726,946, using a 6 percent discount rate (the prime rate plus 1 percent, rounded to the nearest whole number) and MLB values the deal at $116,695,898 for the purposes of the luxury tax, which currently uses a 3.62 percent discount rate- + his agent is Scott Boras

- + he has 6 years, 14 days of service

Edited by qwerty

If Konerko wants a 6 or 7 year deal with a no-trade clause, I'm sorry but goodbye Paulie. No way do I want the Sox to still be burdened with Konerko making a ton of money when he is 36 years old. If this is true, it's time for Kenny to look into trading for Overbay or Thome (only if the Phillies are willing to pick up a ton of his contract). I read that the Phillies would be willing to pay two-thirds of what Thome is owed over the remaining three years of his contract so he is a definate option. Both of these guys will be available this offseason due to Prince Fielder and Ryan Howard taking over for them and the lack of DH in the N.L. There's nowhere else for them to play on their current teams.

Edited by SSH2005