Free agent resource.

qwerty

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 04:15 PM)
Im saying we traded Aaron in a deal to get Pierre. Im still going of getting Pierre and Delgado in one deal.

Podsednik

Iguchi

Delgado

Dye-DH

Pierzynski

Crede

Uribe

Anderson-RF?

Pierre

In that scenario, we'd be losing power, too. PK and Rowand gone, replaced with Delgado and Pierre.

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 03:16 PM)
In that scenario, we'd be losing power, too.  PK and Rowand gone, replaced with Delgado and Pierre.

I actually like that though, not that we're losing some power but Juan rolling over to Scott, there would be a lot of options when Juan would get on. The one thing I don't like in that lineup is AJP batting 5th but like Tony said this will never happen so not much to it either way.

QUOTE(BMac41 @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 01:29 PM)
Sorry but were not going to trade for Carlos Delgado.We be giving up way too much for him.

I wouldn't rule that one out as easily as some of the other ones...he has a major contract that the Fish won't want to pay for that long, especially when their owner is already complaining about losing money, and now their FA's are starting to leave their pitching staff.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 09:20 PM)
I actually like that though, not that we're losing some power but Juan rolling over to Scott, there would be a lot of options when Juan would get on.  The one thing I don't like in that lineup is AJP batting 5th but like Tony said this will never happen so not much to it either way.

Problem is, with Pierre, he's not anywhere near the defensive CF'er that Rowand is. He's behind Rowand on both of the defensive metrics I'm looking at, by a lot, too -- Win Shares and Rate 2. So, pretty much, you're losing runs defensively with a major downgrade in CF, as well as offensively -- other than stealing bases, he doesn't do a whole lot. At least Podsednik gets on-base at a better than league average rate...

Not to mention that he just simply isn't that good. .276/.326/.354 last year, nearing 30 -- the Cubs can have him, I'll take Podsednik.

Probably should have read your last sentence...

Edited by CWSGuy406

When did Ozzie say he wanted more speed? I know that's one of his baseball dogmas, but did he specifically say that recently? If the Sox want MORE speed I think they look to TB. They have a new managerial staff, one that might not be as shrewd when it comes to trades. They're loaded with speedy position players. They have Crawford, Baldelli, Gathright, and Gomes (and Huff) to share the OF/DH duties, but they also have the minor league player of the year in Delmon Young, another OFer. They have 4 players (assuming they don't resign Gonzalez) for 2b/ss/3b in Lugo, Cantu, Green, and Upton. I don't know what their intentions are regarding Travis Lee, as he produced decent numbers down the stretch, but if resigned could also battle Huff for 1B duties. They are in obvious need of pitching, and most of those players I wouldn't mind having.

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 05:34 PM)
When did Ozzie say he wanted more speed?  I know that's one of his baseball dogmas, but did he specifically say that recently?  If the Sox want MORE speed I think they look to TB.  They have a new managerial staff, one that might not be as shrewd when it comes to trades.  They're loaded with speedy position players.  They have Crawford, Baldelli, Gathright, and Gomes (and Huff) to share the OF/DH duties, but they also have the minor league player of the year in Delmon Young, another OFer.  They have 4 players (assuming they don't resign Gonzalez) for 2b/ss/3b in Lugo, Cantu, Green, and Upton.  I don't know what their intentions are regarding Travis Lee, as he produced decent numbers down the stretch, but if resigned could also battle Huff for 1B duties.  They are in obvious need of pitching, and most of those players I wouldn't mind having.

I seriously doubt they trade most of those guys, especially since Huff is the only one making real money. Plus they're probably the cheapest organization in the league, meaning we'd have to probably either give them B-Mac or a couple of our prospects since our other starters make decent money.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

Yes, we'd have to give them prospects, but wouldn't you rather give up prospects? I agree, they sure as hell are not going to trade Crawford, Cantu, Young, Upton, or Gomes. Huff's gonna make $7.5 mil this year, steep for the DRays after a subpar year from him. Lee played nearly as well for $1.3 mil last year. Lugo's making $5 mil this year. Baez is getting $4. All 3 of those players will be FA's after this year, and TB will not likely be able to resign all of them. Since they have a plethora of young, cheap OFers, it is plausible that one could be pried away for the right price, albeit too high a price for us. I don't know where they'd fit in our lineup, but I'm just giving ppl some speed considerations. Huff should be a consideration if we don't get back PK and/or Frank though. Huff's a second half player anyway, so right when Frank's going down he'll be ready to have a spectacular half season as his replacement :). I've been an advocate of Lugo this whole year with his good average and 40+ sbs. Now that Uribe's defense has been enshrined in the annals of White Sox glory, Lugo probably wouldn't be a popular replacement.

If Ozzie's statement about wanting more speed was recent, to me it seems like a direct blow at Frank. I mean he can't move AJ, and I'm sure he wants PK back. Rowand, Pods, Gooch, Uribe(if he loses a few), and Dye are at the very least nimble. Crede's a bit slow I guess. So who does that leave? The big guy. Hmm...

Edited by Frank the Tank 35

According to the Palm Beach Post, the Marlins will likely begin shopping Carlos Delgado and Mike Lowell at next week's GM meetings.

There's no doubt that Lowell will be available. Delgado says he was told by ownership in September that he wouldn't be traded, but that hasn't stopped anyone from throwing his name around. Even if the Marlins are willing to move him, it doesn't figure that anything will happen before Paul Konerko signs. Nov. 5 - 3:44 am et

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 5, 2005 -> 10:18 AM)
According to the Palm Beach Post, the Marlins will likely begin shopping Carlos Delgado and Mike Lowell at next week's GM meetings.

There's no doubt that Lowell will be available. Delgado says he was told by ownership in September that he wouldn't be traded, but that hasn't stopped anyone from throwing his name around. Even if the Marlins are willing to move him, it doesn't figure that anything will happen before Paul Konerko signs. Nov. 5 - 3:44 am et

Marte + Rowand + Fields for Delgado and a small chunk of cash, but not much.

Ahh, gotta love the armchair GM. :D

For once, Scott Bora$$ may come in handy;

The Indians have reportedly offered Kevin Millwood a contract that was already turned down.

Millwood is represented by Scott Boras, so there's no way he's signing during the Indians' exclusive window. He figures to command $9 million-$10 million per year for three or four years as a free agent. Nov. 6 - 4:00 am et

And if you think Anaheim is going to trade for Manny; :bang

The Indians did have some preliminary discussions with the Red Sox about Manny Ramirez and the Phillies regarding Jim Thome, but they went nowhere.

The Red Sox reportedly wanted Grady Sizemore as part of the deal if they were going to pick up a portion of Ramirez's salary. The Phillies would have wanted Cliff Lee in return for swallowing much of Thome's contract. Nov. 6 - 3:58 am et

What do you guys think about Doug Mientkiewicz, former Gold Glove and .300 hitter, has been in a rut with the Mets, played with AJ in Minnesota, and has post season experience with Boston (kept the ball)?

If Paulie goes for more money, the Sox should be able to get him fairly cheap, and he would solidify an already strong defense and add some OBP hitting. Then the Sox can pick up a power hitter to play DH (Thomas), or have JD platoon with another outfielder at DH and RF.

What do you think? If Paulie goes would this even be a remote possibility?

Edited by WinninUgly

QUOTE(WinninUgly @ Nov 6, 2005 -> 09:19 AM)
What do you guys think about Doug Mientkiewicz, former Gold Glove and .300 hitter, has been in a rut with the Mets, played with AJ in Minnesota, and has post season experience with Boston (kept the ball)?

If Paulie goes for more money, the Sox should be able to get him fairly cheap, and he would solidify an already strong defense and add some OBP hitting.  Then the Sox can pick up a power hitter to play DH (Thomas), or have JD platoon with another outfielder at DH and RF.

What do you think?  If Paulie goes would this even be a remote possibility?

I'm not a big fan of Dougie. I think he's on the decline of his career and that there's got to be someone better out there then himt o play first.

Bob

He might be, but he is only 31, and he shouldn't command that much money on the market after .240, 11HR, and 29 RBI. The Sox took a shot on AJ, Pods, JD, Uribe, and Gooch, and they all worked out pretty well. I think Doug still has 3-4 more decent years left, and his glove would be an upgrade. Just a thought.

Pods BA was only .244 last year, and his OBP was .314, which was not that good for a leadoff man. The Sox took a chance and it worked out.

I am just looking for a guy like Doug who like AJ, may just need a change of scenery to get back on track. His connection with AJ and his post season experience would be a plus.

QUOTE(WinninUgly @ Nov 6, 2005 -> 10:59 AM)
He might be, but he is only 31, and he shouldn't command that much money on the market after .240, 11HR, and 29 RBI.  The Sox took a shot on AJ, Pods, JD, Uribe, and Gooch, and they all worked out pretty well.  I think Doug still has 3-4 more decent years left, and his glove would be an upgrade.  Just a thought. 

Pods BA was only .244 last year, and his OBP was .314, which was not that good for a leadoff man.  The Sox took a chance and it worked out.

I am just looking for a guy like Doug who like AJ, may just need a change of scenery to get back on track.  His connection with AJ and his post season experience would be a plus.

Maybe we should sign Jacque Jones and trade for Torii Hunter while we're at it?

No to Doug. I already can't spell have the guys names on the Sox. But seriously, no to Doug, unless he is a replacement for Gload. He wouuld be a great late inning defensive replacement. But he can't possible replace the offense of Konerko, he was never a huge hitter.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Nov 6, 2005 -> 06:16 PM)
Does anyone think we have a realistic chance of trading for Delgado this offseason?

I do...

Mient-alphabet sucks. Career OPS+ of 100, so he's a league average hitter. Just what we need to replace Paul Konerko's 136 OPS+. :headshake