Free agent resource.

qwerty

The Yankees have initiated contact with the agent for Brian Giles.

"I've had a conversation with Brian (Cashman)," agent Joe Bick said. "He said they are assessing what they are going to do and, obviously, Brian is an attractive guy to them and they are interested in talking about him. We have nothing specifically set up, but I'm sure we'll have another conversation." The Yankees almost certainly will pursue Giles if they can't re-sign Hideki Matsui by Nov. 15. It's less likely that they'll try to put Matsui in center and Giles in left. An improved outfield defense is a definite need for the club. Nov. 6 - 1:30 pm et

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Nov 6, 2005 -> 09:31 PM)
Is there any chance the Sox are able to keep Konerko and sign Hideki Matsui? That would be a good scenario for the Sox IMO.

That'll put next year's payroll somewhere in the $95M-$100M range for next year.

So unless it envolves ditching some money elsewhere, no there isn't much of a chance.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 7, 2005 -> 03:55 AM)
It is starting to sound a little more like Hideki isn't a lock to stay in NY.....

He'd be a decent-to-good pickup, but then you'd have to juggle around the outfielders -- Matsui would probably have to move RF. He's also a worse offensive player than Konerko is, so it would probably have to be coupled with another move.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 6, 2005 -> 11:07 PM)
He'd be a decent-to-good pickup, but then you'd have to juggle around the outfielders -- Matsui would probably have to move RF.  He's also a worse offensive player than Konerko is, so it would probably have to be coupled with another move.

If we lose Konerko I think that Matsui would be a great pickup. A strong left handed bat. Put him in RF possibly move Dye to 1B. However, this would only happen if PK and the Sox go their seperate ways

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Nov 6, 2005 -> 11:42 PM)
So no chance Konerko comes back as the 1B with Matsui as the 4th OF/DH?

Fourth outfielder? He is a better hitter than arguably anyone of our outfielders. Anyway there is just no way we can give him the 10-12 million dollars he will andcan command in this weak free agency. I still truly believe we should look into signing durazo to an incentive laden deal with a base salary of around two million and he can make up to 7-8.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Nov 7, 2005 -> 01:20 AM)
Fourth outfielder? He is a better hitter than arguably anyone of our outfielders. Anyway there is just no way we can give him the 10-12 million dollars he will andcan command in this weak free agency. I still truly believe we should look into signing durazo to an incentive laden deal with a base salary of around two million and he can make up to 7-8.

I think he means 4th outfielder like Everett was this year. He'd mainly be the DH, but he'd replace someone in the outfield every couple of games.

I'd love to see Matsui in the outfield for the Sox, but if it means Konerko is gone, I don't like it.

I guess though if Konerko did leave, he'd be a solid option. I also like the Durazo idea if he doesn't cost us an arm and a leg. There's a lot of options out there and hopefully if Kong leaves us, Kenny will be right in the thick of things figuring it out and putting a winner out there.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Nov 7, 2005 -> 12:22 AM)
I think he means 4th outfielder like Everett was this year.  He'd mainly be the DH, but he'd replace someone in the outfield every couple of games.

Ya, why not use podsednik as out dh and matsui in the outfield? Matsui's fielding> podsednik's.

If Konerko were to leave...that would basically mean the Sox were grabbing and paying Matsui because he would be the best bat remaining on the market. And in my opinion, we'd be paying far too much for him - a bat that is good, but not great.

If Konerko were to leave...I would prefer to have "Reinsdorf-salary-cap" flexibility in 2006, when there are far more decent free agents on the market, than to throw our remaining budget at whoever is left available this year, and probably wind up bidding against the Yankees at the same time.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Nov 7, 2005 -> 05:20 PM)

I thought I heard somehwere that he wanted around 12/13M from the Yankees. No wonder they're interested in Giles.

And yes on Durazo. Give him a 2 year deal, with the 2nd year an option, incentive laden of course.

More Delgado;

The Mariners could pursue Carlos Delgado and the Yankees' Carl Pavano -- two of their top free agent targets from last winter -- in trade talks at the GM meetings.

The Marlins are expected to make Delgado available. If the Mariners acquired him, he'd likely be used as a DH most of the time, with Richie Sexson staying at first base. Delgado indicated last winter that he didn't want to be a DH, but he's not going to have a say in where he goes if the Marlins elect to move him. Nov. 7 - 3:41 am et

Now Shealy was mentioned on Rotoworld a few weeks back when those Marte to the Rockies rumors popped up;

Ryan Shealy has lost 15 pounds since the start of spring training and intends to lose 10 more as he attempts a conversion to the outfield.

How Shealy progresses in his work in the outfield in Arizona over the next couple of weeks could determine whether the Rockies sign a right-handed-hitting outfielder. They'd like to see Shealy be able to replace Dustan Mohr as Brad Hawpe's platoonmate. If Shealy appears limited to first base, the trade rumors will resume. He could possibly go to Boston for Kelly Shoppach or to Cleveland for Josh Bard. Nov. 7 - 3:48 am et

Here were his 2005 splits btw;

.330/.413/.473 in 36 games. Only 2 HR's though.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 6, 2005 -> 07:55 PM)
It is starting to sound a little more like Hideki isn't a lock to stay in NY.....

If Hideki becomes a FA, I'd give him a really nice 3 year deal to come join Iguchi on the southside of Chicago. Resign Paulie and move El Duque (heck maybe just trade Duque for Matsui and than work out a 3 year deal with him).

That would give the sox just enough flexibility to bring back Paulie and give Matsui a few year deal.

If Hideki becomes a FA, I'd give him a really nice 3 year deal to come join Iguchi on the southside of Chicago.  Resign Paulie and move El Duque (heck maybe just trade Duque for Matsui and than work out a 3 year deal with him). 

That would give the sox just enough flexibility to bring back Paulie and give Matsui a few year deal.

As much as they would be nice.. Where does Matsui play? Does that mean we don't bring Thomas Back?

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Nov 7, 2005 -> 11:48 AM)
ok where does Pods play then?

Only way I see this working is we have to trade Rowand as well to move Pods back to CF, Matsui to LF.. granted we get an upgrade in offense.. But a huge downgrade in def.. and I don't see Ozzie wanting that.

Ya, there is a 0 percent chance pods plays cf this year. I'd love to get Matsui also and ya that would be saying goodbye to Thomas, it'd be a sad day but having Hideki and Paul is a legit 3-4 and upgrades the offense significantly.