Free agent resource.

qwerty

Ya, there is a 0 percent chance pods plays cf this year.  I'd love to get Matsui also and ya that would be saying goodbye to Thomas, it'd be a sad day but having Hideki and Paul is a legit 3-4 and upgrades the offense significantly.

As much as the board going to raz me.. I would love to have that as the 3-4 combo, As much as I love Thomas, he really is only a DH, Matsui can sub for an OF gicing someone a day off allows to take either another P or INF, just allows more flexiable for ozzie.

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Nov 7, 2005 -> 11:53 AM)
As much as the board going to raz me.. I would love to have that as the 3-4 combo, As much as I love Thomas, he really is only a DH, Matsui can sub for an OF gicing someone a day off allows to take either another P or INF, just allows more flexiable for ozzie.

I'd love that 3-4 also. Hideki is a great situational hitter and a rbi machine, he would look great hitting behind Scott and Tad.

Edited by Rowand44

I'd love that 3-4 also.  Hideki is a great situational hitter and a rbi machine, he would look great hitting behind Scott and Tad.

The thing is who are we giving up to get him? There is no way we can afford Matsui, Pauly, and given raisies to Garland, AJ, Crede, pods...

I think Matsui is a pipe dream, I do agree with someone in here that said that kind of wait and see for 06, we are going to overpay for Matsui.. Unless he give us a discount as Pauly needs to.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Nov 7, 2005 -> 12:05 PM)
The thing is who are we giving up to get him? There is no way we can afford Matsui, Pauly, and given raisies to Garland, AJ, Crede, pods...

I think Matsui is a pipe dream, I do agree with someone in here that said that kind of wait and see for 06, we are going to overpay for Matsui.. Unless he give us a discount as Pauly needs to.

Hideki is a pipe dream, I was just saying I would definitely love to have him.

Neither player is a free agent, but, i felt these two rotoworld blubs were worth mentioning.

Ray King LHP

Despite Ray King's request for a trade, Cardinals GM Walt Jocketty said he's not actively looking to move the left-hander.

"We'll listen to teams, but I'm not trying" to trade him, Jocketty said. There will likely be a fair amount of interest in King once Scott Eyre signs. Nov. 7 - 1:24 pm et

My guy Kevin Mench OF

The Pirates, Cubs and Royals have asked the Rangers about the availability Kevin Mench.

It seems like Kansas City has been after Mench for years. The Rangers may be more open to moving him in exchange for pitching than they were a year ago. The Pirates could offer Kip Wells for him, and the Cubs have guys like Sergio Mitre, Rich Hill and Todd Wellemeyer they can afford to part with.

Mench remains atop my off-season realisitc wish-list.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Nov 7, 2005 -> 01:21 PM)
Yes, boo to a young (27), inexpensive ($345K), consistant 25+HR hitter with a .334OBP, .484SLG, and .272AVG. :bang

You pie-in-the-skyers crack me up.

Delgado and Furcal!!!111!1!11

That $345K salary will be going up drastically the next few seasons. It will not be that low to start the '06 season first of all, with him hitting his first year of arbitration after the '05 season. With another good season next year, his arbitration salary will rise substantially for the '07 season unless a long term contract is worked out.

This however is in no way shape or form a reason to not persue a player (unless his name is Teixiera). This info is strictly FWIW.

Improving his team's outfield defense is something Padres GM Kevin Towers considers a priority this winter.

"We have to look at our outfield," he said. "We need to be much better defensively in the outfield. We'll look for outfielders who are strong defensively, and we prefer speed." Since Ryan Klesko has a no-trade clause and intends to use it, putting him at first base and Xavier Nady in left field is probably the first thing Towers should do. Klesko's back gave him problems when he began working out at first base last year, but that shouldn't give the team pause. If Klesko's back can't handle the transition, the team could get solid production out of Jon Knott or Paul McAnulty. Putting Ben Johnson in left and Nady back at first would be another option. In center field, Dave Roberts is expected back and Freddy Guzman will act as insurance. The club hopes to re-sign Brian Giles to play right field and will seek a quality defender like Jacque Jones if he leaves. Nov. 7 - 12:49 pm et

Rowand for Linebrink?

Check out last year's splits against lefties...a tad bit better than Marte I would say.

Edited by 3E8

As long as we're talking about trading for non-superstars (Mench, minor leaguers, etc), I'd like to throw out a Frank Catalanotto. If we resign PK and Frank, I think he's a great option as a backup DH/4th OFer. He bats lefty and is a pretty consistent .300 hitter although I don't think he's ever been given a full time starting job at any point in his career. He's 31, definitely a veteran presence. The BJ's are looking to sign some big money free agents, maybe they could stand to lose $2.7 mil he's owed next season (last season of a 2-year deal)? They have many young position players like Reed Johnson and Alex Rios trying to find playing time as evidenced by Catalanotto playing in only 130 games with 419 ABs. He doesn't walk much but doesn't strike out much either, puts the ball in play. He's versatile defensively and can play OF, 1B, or 2B effectively. He's equally effective vs. righties and lefties and home vs. away. Last year he hit .371 with runners on, .409 with RISP, and .359 RISP w/ 2 outs.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Nov 7, 2005 -> 01:12 PM)
The only person from SD I would want that we have a shot at is Josh Barfield there 2b prosept. He is about a year away from being in the MLB..would be a nice replacement for Iguchi

Barfield is solid but I'm not trading Arow for him. Nor would I trade Arow for Linebrink straight up. Now if the Sox could put together a deal for Jake Peavy, than I'd be listening (lol).

However if the Angels go through with a Steve Finley for Ryan Klesko swap (its a rumor thats gaining steam out here) than maybe that opens up some options.

Barfield is solid but I'm not trading Arow for him.  Nor would I trade Arow for Linebrink straight up.  Now if the Sox could put together a deal for Jake Peavy, than I'd be listening (lol). 

However if the Angels go through with a Steve Finley for Ryan Klesko swap (its a rumor thats gaining steam out here) than maybe that opens up some options.

I was just stating that the only player that I think that SD would trade that we could use.. I would love to have Peavy.. But, I don;t think Towers is giving him up any time soon.

With the crappy offer that was given to Hoffman they might be looking for a closer.. Hermy anyone? I love Barfield, would love to see him in Sox uni in 07.. even if it hurts my NL-only fantasny team in years to come!

QUOTE(3E8 @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 12:18 AM)
I'll never tell....

why you comparing him to Tracy?

I don't know, all the trade talk kinda has me depressed and since so many people seem to love Tracy after the great season he had. I figure I'd compare the two seasons side by side. It just shows how fast an OPS can drop 200 points.