Free agent resource.

qwerty

A.J. Burnett - S - Marlins  

The Blue Jays will host free agent A.J. Burnett in Toronto this week.

It's pretty early for a free agent to begin making visits, considering that money can't even be discussed yet. The Blue Jays are expected to make a competitive offer for Burnett, and they'll be helped in their bid by former pitching coach Brad Arnsberg's good relationship with Burnett from their time in Florida. Oct. 30 - 1:48 pm et

Source: Toronto Sun

A little early don't ya think?

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If not Furcal, then keep everything as it is except upgrade at DH with Hideki Matsui.  He can also play some CF if needed.

Hideki would be a HUUUUGE pickup. The sort of thing that would automatically lead to me getting season tickets if I had that kind of money.

But we'd have to outbid the Yankees. Good luck with that, though if we ditch Konerko maybe Jerry will pay up. I'm hoping Hideki's choke job in the playoff lowers his value.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Oct 30, 2005 -> 05:10 PM)
Furcal is seriously not worth the money considering what position he plays. Teams like the Cubs who are in dire need of a SS and a leadoff man would be more inclined to give Furcal upwards of $10M, the White Sox in their current situation do not need him for that kind of money.

I wouldn't pay him upwards of $10M either. I was thinking around $8M.

Needing to get another first baseman to replace Konerko is a fallacy. I'm willing to give Dye a chance to play 1B, and then replace Dye with a new outfielder.

Ideally, should Konerko leave, Matsui and Giles would replace the production wonderfully. Of course, Matsui may end up being even more overpriced than Konerko, with the Yankee connection. He might not be interested in playing for anyone who's not the Yanks.

QUOTE(Antonio Osuna @ Oct 30, 2005 -> 04:27 PM)
Hideki would be a HUUUUGE pickup. The sort of thing that would automatically lead to me getting season tickets if I had that kind of money.

But we'd have to outbid the Yankees. Good luck with that, though if we ditch Konerko maybe Jerry will pay up. I'm hoping Hideki's choke job in the playoff lowers his value.

Do a little research on Matsui's contract. It has some very bizzare clauses and such that, if I'm not mistaken, prevent him from becoming a free agent in the truest sense of the term.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Oct 30, 2005 -> 05:39 PM)
Do a little research on Matsui's contract.  It has some very bizzare clauses and such that, if I'm not mistaken, prevent him from becoming a free agent in the truest sense of the term.

if he does not sign a contract extension or a new contract by Nov. 15, 2005, then the NYY must place him on waivers for the purpose of granting him his release- + if he were to clear waivers he would become a free agent

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Oct 30, 2005 -> 04:41 PM)
Hideki Matsui: 3-Year worth 21M- will make in 6M in 2003, 7M in 2004 and 8M in 2005- + he can earn 500K each year in bonuses- + has a complete NO-TRADE clause- + if he does not sign a contract extension or a new contract by Nov. 15, 2005, then the NYY must place him on waivers for the purpose of granting him his release- + if he were to clear waivers he would become a free agent Agent: Arn Tellem/John Kim Service Time: 2.000

MLB4U

CLAP

CLAP

CLAP-CLAP-CLAP

QUOTE(Antonio Osuna @ Oct 30, 2005 -> 05:38 PM)
Needing to get another first baseman to replace Konerko is a fallacy. I'm willing to give Dye a chance to play 1B, and then replace Dye with a new outfielder.

Ideally, should Konerko leave, Matsui and Giles would replace the production wonderfully. Of course, Matsui may end up being even more overpriced than Konerko, with the Yankee connection. He might not be interested in playing for anyone who's not the Yanks.

There's about a 95% chance that Giles never even hits the free agent market. Kevin Towers has made Giles his #1 priority for this offseason and is very close to signing him to a 3yr/$30M deal.

Hideki Matsui: 3-Year worth 21M- will make in 6M in 2003, 7M in 2004 and 8M in 2005- + he can earn 500K each year in bonuses- + has a complete NO-TRADE clause- + if he does not sign a contract extension or a new contract by Nov. 15, 2005, then the NYY must place him on waivers for the purpose of granting him his release- + if he were to clear waivers he would become a free agent Agent: Arn Tellem/John Kim Service Time: 2.000

I take it the Yankees can't recall him from waivers if this happens?

I'll laugh if he becomes a Royal this way.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Oct 30, 2005 -> 04:43 PM)
There's about a 95% chance that Giles never even hits the free agent market. Kevin Towers has made Giles his #1 priority for this offseason and is very close to signing him to a 3yr/$30M deal.

in such a bad market i actually think giles would make more than 3/30, especially given that his away splits are terrific

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Oct 30, 2005 -> 09:38 PM)
If we sign Paul, then no, I would not think any top tier FA would be on his way. The history of KW just says trade. However, this was also a historic season. Things can change...

I just don't see us signing any major FA outside of Paulie, or maybe an outside chance on Giles if we don't resign Paulie (probably more of a pipedream). It simply isn't that strong a class, especially when it comes to position players. If Paulie were to walk, I think it'd be a lot more likely that we add a big bat in a trade (ie Overbay, Thome, Delgado, Dunn, Huff, Helton, Sweeney, ect).

With the Sox reportedly buying out Crazy Carl and assuming big Frank isn't brought back, who is gonna fill the DH spot? Even with his personality issues i'm salivating at the thought of our 3-4 hole being Manny Ramirez-Paulie. Olmedo Saenz from LAD looks like he could be a decent and cheap option. Hes got some power (15hr, 24 doubles, 63 rbi in only 109 games) not bad obp (.340 career) and can play 1st and 3rd if need be.

Heres the list of free agents who have filed.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article...t=.jsp&c_id=mlb

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Oct 30, 2005 -> 11:45 PM)
This is the thread......

He said that in response before I merged this thread. 05champs started his post as a new thread originally before I killed it and moved it here.

I'm kind of torn on the whole "who's our DH?" question. Part of me says I'd like to see a serious upgrade at the position, giving us a real #3 hitter to pair with Paulie (I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but so far I feel good about it). On the other hand, I'm not as concerned about it as I would have been if we had lost, and I really want to see Frank back and get a real shot at 500 homeruns. Obviously we'd have to get a cheap, preferrably left-handed alternative for any time when he's hurt, which would also give us a bat off the bench if Frank is healthy. I know Frank's ankle is a serious issue, but there is a side benefit: less financial committment, making it easier to keep some of our guys or improve through FA.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Oct 30, 2005 -> 08:57 PM)
I just don't see us signing any major FA outside of Paulie, or maybe an outside chance on Giles if we don't resign Paulie (probably more of a pipedream). It simply isn't that strong a class, especially when it comes to position players. If Paulie were to walk, I think it'd be a lot more likely that we add a big bat in a trade (ie Overbay, Thome, Delgado, Dunn, Huff, Helton, Sweeney, ect).

Exactly. None of the FA choices exactly are jaw dropping at least for DH that is. You got to remember, you gotta get someone who's willing to be a DH. I doubt that Giles is willing to become one. Philly is most likely dying to get Thome off the roster for Howard. I would love to see Thome here. Delgado as well, if Florida wants to dump him. Those two are guys that might not cost an arm and a leg (as far as trades), and both are better than the alternatives on the free agent market. Nonetheless, should be interesting to see what happens.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 08:31 AM)
Exactly.  None of the FA choices exactly are jaw dropping at least for DH that is.  You got to remember, you gotta get someone who's willing to be a DH.  I doubt that Giles is willing to become one.  Philly is most likely dying to get Thome off the roster for Howard.  I would love to see Thome here.  Delgado as well, if Florida wants to dump him.  Those two are guys that might not cost an arm and a leg (as far as trades), and both are better than the alternatives on the free agent market.  Nonetheless, should be interesting to see what happens.

With the White Sox being Champs this year, I would think that any team that is a potential trading partner would try to fleece the crap out of us. Unless they REALLY want someone out of there.

I'm a little nervous about Thome, with his back and all. Delgado would be great IF we don't resign Paulie.

Here's a great quote from an ESPN article about free agency:

Remember, most teams -- like this year's White Sox -- improve more with mid-level moves than headline-grabbing ones. So when it comes to this year's free-agent class, watch for smaller names to make a bigger difference.

Link

I think we'll try to use a similar strategy to last year: use our cash wisely to pick-up low to middle tier paid players that can make a medium-impact on this team. Hopefully Konerko is back. From that article it looks like the Mets will be the biggest competition. If Konerko and Thomas come back (and Thomas comes back healthy), say good-bye to Everett, but we should be in a great position for next season.