qwerty

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 03:02 PM)
Just say no...

To Ichiro.

And why's that? Don't forget what impact he has on the Japanese market. One of the main reasons that Seattle has had great attendance, even in down years, is that Ichiro is a huge drawing card. You put him and Iguchi on the same team, and you'd have quite the marketing opportunity. Also...wouldn't it be fun to see Hawk just mix their names left and right? Maybe we could add So Taguchi also as our back-up outfielder.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 12:48 AM)
Ichiro wants out of Seattle?

http://www.insidebayarea.com/davedelgrande/ci_3164136

"DATELINE: In front of Bonds. The baseball off-season has gotten off to a very quiet start in Seattle. Too quiet.

Rumor has it Ichiro has grown tired of the Mariners' losing ways and wants out, but Seattle-area reporters aren't publicizing it because they like dealing with the Japanese hitting star on a daily basis. They're hoping the All-Star changes his mind before his request for a trade becomes a demand.

Believe it: The Mariners are accepting offers right now for the standout leadoff hitter, and the price is only going to go up if/when Ichiro's true feelings about wanting out become public, prompting more teams to get Bill Bavasi on the phone."

If this is true would you give up Garland and Rowand for Ichiro?  Then, you could have an outfield of Podsednik in left, Anderson in center, and Ichiro in right with Dye as the DH.  It would be a light-hitting outfield but they would have good OBP and speed.  Iguchi would have to be the #3 hitter then though.  Eh, maybe it isn't a very good idea.

No...I want to make one thing clear and I think this is how KW feels. The 5 man rotation is off limits (Garland, Buehrle, Garcia, Contreras, and Bmac). The Sox got here with pitching and they aren't about to give it up.

Whats the deal with our rotation? I know Garland is arbitration eligable. But whats the story with El-duque? He signed a 2 year deal with us right? I would like him as one of our studs in the pen. Esspecially if Hermanson missed '06 with back troubles. KEEP THE PITCHING TOGETHER! BMac better be our 5th starter! Its that simple.

Here is how I see our team going into '06 (the defending year):

Starting Rotation:

1. Contreras

2. Buerhle

3. Garland

4. Garcia

5. McCarthy

Bullpen:

El-duque

Cotts

Marte

Pollite

Jenks

Vizcaino

Hermonson (if healthy)

Starting Lineup:

Pods CF

Iguchi 2B

Dye RF

Konerko 1B (hopefully!!! :pray: )

Thomas/ (lefty???) DH

Rowand CF

Pierzynski C

Crede 3B

Uribe SS

Bench:

(TEAM 4!!!)

Harris INF

Perez OF

Widger C

Ozuna INF

Borchard and Anderson fight for the final spot in ST.

Yep I'm not expecting many changes at all. Just contract extensions and a DH, and possibly another reliever. FOr those of you thinking "Why should we get a DH- we have Frank" Well if you go into the season with no backup DH, what happens if Frank gets hurt again? Believe me having 2 DH's is a nice luxory to have. But who is out there?

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 11:03 AM)
No...I want to make one thing clear and I think this is how KW feels.  The 5 man rotation is off limits (Garland, Buehrle, Garcia, Contreras, and Bmac).  The Sox got here with pitching and they aren't about to give it up.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 12:03 PM)
No...I want to make one thing clear and I think this is how KW feels.  The 5 man rotation is off limits (Garland, Buehrle, Garcia, Contreras, and Bmac).  The Sox got here with pitching and they aren't about to give it up.

I've said that before and I agree with it wholeheartedly.

The only thing I would give up for Ichiro is a package of Pods/Rowand/prospects (and this is coming from a Pods fan). Anderson could move to CF and Dye to LF.

Yeah, Ichiro is overpaid, but he brings some of that money back. I believe the M's and Yankees have many of their games aired on Japanese TV and therefore sell broadcasting rights.

The only way I'd consider trading a starting pitcher (a main one, not Duque), is if you got a superstar offensive player in return. 3 examples of guys that I'd trade for are Teixeira, Dunn, and Ichiro. Contreras is the clear choice for the guy who would be the best trade chip, as his value will NEVER be higher.

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 03:26 PM)
The only way I'd consider trading a starting pitcher (a main one, not Duque), is if you got a superstar offensive player in return.  3 examples of guys that I'd trade for are Teixeira, Dunn, and Ichiro.  Contreras is the clear choice for the guy who would be the best trade chip, as his value will NEVER be higher.

I'd still say you're screwing yourself. Tex's road splits are awful, Ichiro is not a middle of the order bat, and Dunn --while probably the best of the bunch-- isn't worthy of a playoff tested ace because of his high strikeout numbers. I might move him for someone like Michael Young (premium position) or Chad Tracy (really cheap).

You're also leaving the last two rotation spots to McCarthy and Duque. Duque is a virtual lock to get injured at some point, meaning you need to come up with a good 6th starter (whoever it is likely won't be as good as McCarthy was this season). McCarthy has never pitched 200 MLB innings. All three of your other starters were in the top 10 in IP, and one of them is coming of a career year. Seems a little risky.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 02:53 PM)
I'd still say you're screwing yourself. Tex's road splits are awful, Ichiro is not a middle of the order bat, and Dunn --while probably the best of the bunch-- isn't worthy of a playoff tested ace because of his high strikeout numbers. I might move him for someone like Michael Young (premium position) or Chad Tracy (really cheap).

You're also leaving the last two rotation spots to McCarthy and Duque. Duque is a virtual lock to get injured at some point, meaning you need to come up with a good 6th starter (whoever it is likely won't be as good as McCarthy was this season). McCarthy has never pitched 200 MLB innings. All three of your other starters were in the top 10 in IP, and one of them is coming of a career year. Seems a little risky.

I'll never understand why people are so down on Dunn. I don't give a s*** if he strikes out 170 times as long as he hits 40/100 walks 100 times with a .920+ OPS

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 02:56 PM)
I'll never understand why people are so down on Dunn. I don't give a s*** if he strikes out 170 times as long as he hits 40/100 walks 100 times with a .920+ OPS

Cause he hits under .250, that's why I personally don't like the guy that much.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 08:58 PM)
Cause he hits under .250, that's why I personally don't like the guy that much.

I guarantee you that he would hit better on a team with a better approach at the plate. Just like with Pods in Milwaukee, the Reds are not a team that stress focused at-bats at the plate. Dunn would also greatly benefit by not facing the strike out pitchers of the NL Central on a regular basis.

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 09:11 PM)
I guarantee you that he would hit better on a team with a better approach at the plate.  Just like with Pods in Milwaukee, the Reds are not a team that stress focused at-bats at the plate.  Dunn would also greatly benefit by not facing the strike out pitchers of the NL Central on a regular basis.

^^^^^

Dunn would instantly become our best bat and most dangerous offensive threat. I would love to have him.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 03:56 PM)

Yeah, I thought that too. Then I realized how pissed I'd be when Dunn strikes out swinging with a runner on 3rd and less than 2 outs because he's trying to jack the ball out of the park. No thanks, at least not for the #1 playoff starter of a World Series winning team.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 03:46 PM)
Yeah, I thought that too. Then I realized how pissed I'd be when Dunn strikes out swinging with a runner on 3rd and less than 2 outs because he's trying to jack the ball out of the park. No thanks, at least not for the #1 playoff starter of a World Series winning team.

That's part of the reason he bugs me as well. He hits around .200 with both risp and risp and 2 outs. If he's the big bat in the middle of the lineup well one of these years he's going to have to drive in big runs in big situations. The walks are nice but you also need your middle of the order hitters to well..drive in important runs. Also he hits .220 against lefties...so basically we're trading maybe our best pitcher for a guy that can't hit lhp, no thanks.

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 04:11 PM)
I guarantee you that he would hit better on a team with a better approach at the plate.

Since when does trying to park every pitch in the outfield bleachers qualify as a better approach? While I will admit our hitting improved in the playoffs, our approach throughout most of the year was awful.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 09:51 PM)
Since when does trying to park every pitch in the outfield bleachers qualify as a better approach? While I will admit our hitting improved in the playoffs, our approach throughout most of the year was awful.

Compared to the Brewers and Reds, we definitely have a better approach at the plate in terms of being an overall hitter.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 09:49 PM)
That's part of the reason he bugs me as well.  He hits around .200 with both  risp and risp and 2 outs.  If he's the big bat in the middle of the lineup well one of these years he's going to have to drive in big runs in big situations.  The walks are nice but you also need your middle of the order hitters to well..drive in important runs.  Also he hits .220 against lefties...so basically we're trading maybe our best pitcher for a guy that can't hit lhp, no thanks.

Career line vs lefties -- .234/.353/.488. Good for an .841 OPS.

Oh, but he has a bad BA vs. lefties. Right...

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 05:16 PM)
Compared to the Brewers and Reds, we definitely have a better approach at the plate in terms of being an overall hitter.

The Reds and Brewers were 17th and 21st, respectively, in terms of BB/K ratio. The Sox were 26th. Both NL teams also had higher OBP numbers despite using a pitcher for the majority of their games.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 11:17 PM)
The Reds and Brewers were 17th and 21st, respectively, in terms of BB/K ratio. The Sox were 26th. Both NL teams also had higher OBP numbers despite using a pitcher for the majority of their games.

Look at the control pitchers in the AL Central compared to the NL Central. And one of the big reasons for the Reds walk total is the eye of Dunn. I'm talking more about the approach Dunn has at the plate. He doesn't cut down on his swing in big situations, and still swings for the fences. This is the type of thing that an organizational philosophy might try to change.

Also, I find it funny that people don't think we should trade a starting pitcher for someone that struggles vs lhp. If I recall correctly, Ozzie didn't even start Pods all the time vs lhp (mainly, vs Johan Santana). I love what the 2005 White Sox did and the chemistry the team had, but let's not overestimate the ability of every single player. If this team happens to lose 1 or 2 core players this offseason, I'm very confident that KW will be able to pick up another player to fill that gap. I don't think I'm in the minority when I say that in order for the success to continue, the offense is going to need better next season.

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 03:27 PM)
I don't think I'm in the minority when I say that in order for the success to continue, the offense is going to need better next season.

I probably am in the minority on this one, but I think that if we just stood pat except for putting someone else in the DH hole other than Everett...our offense will improve next year just from people not having terrible years.

Rowands numbers were way down from 2004 and we can discuss til we're blue in the face which one is the outlier, but either way, if someone spends some time working on his swing in the offseason, he can be vastly better.

Joe Crede just needs to shorten the slumps and he'll hit .280 with 30 home runs.

Uribe was disappointing for most of last year. If someone ever sits down with him and teaches him to hit, watch out. We all know what he can do for an offense.

Iguchi will be in his 2nd year against ML pitching, so he'll know the pitchers a lot better going into the season. This can only help him.

And A.J. Pierzynski, a career .287 hitter, hit .257 last year, with his worst OPS and BA since he played more than 10 games in a season.

If we hold onto Konerko and he continues to produce, and we can keep a level amount of production from Dye and Podsednik, this team could be far better with the bats than last year. Each of these guys has significant room for improvement, and in fact should be doing a lot better than they did last year.

And that doesn't count my dream of seeing a very very tall man in the 3 hole again next year.

Oh and by the way...if Konerko could manage to pull a Derek Lee and avoid getting off to a horrible start to the season next year...he could even put up MVP type numbers. From June 1 on, he hit .312, not counting playoffs. His OPS was up over 1.000 in both August and September.