Free agent resource.

qwerty

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 07:27 AM)
The NY Daily News;

The Yankees have nothing to trade. NOTHING! The only players I would want are Sheff and Cano. But, Sheff is old and they aren't dumping Cano...sooooo, Rowand to the Yanks is a slim to none possibility.

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didnt alot of people say the Brew Crew "raped" us in the deal last year. They might have gotten the better of the players, but its all about wants/needs. Rowand, Marte, and a mid to lower level prospect for one of those two( preferibly Tracey fills a huge need for our team. If we didnt have Anderson waiting in the wings, its not a smart move; However, it seems like after Rowands last season, we might be able to get just about that out of Anderson, at a cheaper cost.

The brewers did rape us in a sense.. but then it allowed us to go out and grab other talent to fill that hole left by Lee. If we trade away Rowand and Marte, we can sign Erye or Meyers.. I have no problem with that.. My biggest consern is Anderson (I love the kid BTW) I don't think I am ready to throw him out in CF for 150-160 games just yet. I would love to see him in a role of DH/4th OF spliting time with Thomas at DH.

Fair enough. I don't know if I am either. However, I think if a deal like Tracey came up, then I would do it.

Podsednik

Iguchi

Tracey

Konerko

Dye

Pierzynski

Crede

Anderson

Uribe

Viz

Duke?

Hermanson

Pollite

Eyre

Cotts

Jenks.

I take it that Thomas is done as a Sox then? Who plays the majority of CF then? Where does Tradey play or does PK take over as DH.. is PK ok just being the DH?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 11:58 PM)
And good luck to them for that. It's going to be seriously hard for them to dump those contracts, and get the quality return they'd want. Not to mention, the harm trading the fan favorite in Gonzo would do to that franchise and their fans.

They need young pitching in a serious way. If you started a Chad Tracy for Gio Gonzalez, Dan Haigwood, Damaso Marte package, Josh Byrnes would definitely take a look at that.

You don't think the loser of the Paul Konerko sweepstakes would gladly take Glaus (who has better numbers than Konerko and will have a cheaper contract)?

It's actually funny the Angels will now be forced to go after Konerko when they could have just resigned Glaus for a smaller amount.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 02:48 PM)
The brewers did rape us in a  sense.. but then it allowed us to go out and grab other talent to fill that hole left by Lee. If we trade away Rowand and Marte, we can sign Erye or Meyers.. I have no problem with that.. My biggest consern is Anderson (I love the kid BTW) I don't think I am ready to throw him out in CF for 150-160 games just yet. I would love to see him in a role of DH/4th OF spliting time with Thomas at DH.

Brian Anderson "splitting time" with anybody is retarded. He needs to play and get regular ABs.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 02:41 PM)
The Yankees have nothing to trade.  NOTHING!  The only players I would want are Sheff and Cano.  But, Sheff is old and they aren't dumping Cano...sooooo, Rowand to the Yanks is a slim to none possibility.

The only thing I could think of is the Yankees possibly taking on Duque's contract. On one hand, I'd like to keep the guy, but if the Sox feel they need to dump some salary to re-sign Konerko he'd be the logical guy to go (and I can't see many teams wanting to pay $5M for an oft-injured pitcher).

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 03:43 PM)
He has not proved he can play in the big leagues yet.. Giving him a job now that is just retarded.

I don't understand. How else will he actually prove he's ready unless he's playing a full season? Probably the worst thing you could do to a young player is to force him into a situation where he's not receiving regular playing time.

It's a risk, sure, but that's what happens when you'd like to get a young/cheap player in the line-up. And it's not like Rowand's hitting production was outstanding or anything...

Edited by Frankensteiner

I don't understand. How else will he actually prove he's ready unless he's playing a full season? Probably the worst thing you could do to a young player is to force him into a situation where he's not receiving regular playing time.

It's a risk, sure, but that's what happens when you'd like to get a young/cheap player in the line-up. And it's not like Rowand's hitting production was outstanding or anything...

I agree that we will never know if he doesn't play...Would you agree that if he was to play 4 out of the 6 days a week.. that would be ok?

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 02:08 PM)
How long until photoshopped-mughshot-avatar season? :bang

We just won the World Series, gang. 

Sit back, relax, and strap it down for a month or so.

A couple of weeks is my guess but it is cool to see that player in a sox uni.

Edited by sayitaintso

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 12:58 PM)
Cause he hits under .250, that's why I personally don't like the guy that much.

I feel the same way. I've long debated the fact. I think quite a few people look way too much at OPS and not enough at AVG. They get infatuated with it to a point. OPS is great, but at some point or another a guy has to be able to get base hits. Dunn doesn't do that. He could move to a team like the Sox, have some protection and all of a sudden hit .270, if thats the case, the guy is a premiere offensive player in my book or close to it.

I just don't know if thats going to happen, but he is part of a team that as a whole has been known to strikeout a ridiculous amount of times. If I were to trade for him, It would be because Walker and other scouts tell me (me being Kenny) that they see things they could do to help get his avgerage up to an acceptable level.

Once again, I don't deal pitching and I think thats what Cinncy and most teams would be looking for.

In fact, if i could compare it to anything, it would be a person looking at how great of a return a person could get in a stock, but they fail to look at the actual risk and deviation the stock has made over a certain amount of years. You can't look at just one thing, you got to way a few things into the factor and at one point, you got to look past someones ridiculous ops and look at the more basic things like hits.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 04:52 PM)
I feel the same way.  I've long debated the fact.  I think quite a few people look way too much at OPS and not enough at AVG.  They get infatuated with it to a point.  OPS is great, but at some point or another a guy has to be able to get base hits.  Dunn doesn't do that.  He could move to a team like the Sox, have some protection and all of a sudden hit .270, if thats the case, the guy is a premiere offensive player in my book or close to it. 

I just don't know if thats going to happen, but he is part of a team that as a whole has been known to strikeout a ridiculous amount of times.  If I were to trade for him, It would be because Walker and other scouts tell me (me being Kenny) that they see things they could do to help get his avgerage up to an acceptable level. 

Once again, I don't deal pitching and I think thats what Cinncy and most teams would be looking for. 

In fact, if i could compare it to anything, it would be a person looking at how great of a return a person could get in a stock, but they fail to look at the actual risk and deviation the stock has made over a certain amount of years. You can't look at just one thing, you got to way a few things into the factor and at one point, you got to look past someones ridiculous ops and look at the more basic things like hits.

:notworthy I think that just about sums it up on Dunn.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 09:52 PM)

Ok, well, let's break down OPS for a minute.

How many other guys hit 40 homers per year?

How many other guys have walk 100+ times per year? How many guys have OBP hovering around .380 year in, year out (career .383 OBP)? How many guys have a total bases mark in the 280's on a yearly basis?

How many guys do all this, and haven't even hit their prime yet?

I dunno -- to me it seems like nitpicking, talking about the high K totals and low batting average, while disregarding the extremely high OBP and SLG% totals. It'd be one thing if he was just a power happy, .240/.300/.500 guy -- but he's not.

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 04:52 PM)
I feel the same way.  I've long debated the fact.  I think quite a few people look way too much at OPS and not enough at AVG.  They get infatuated with it to a point.  OPS is great, but at some point or another a guy has to be able to get base hits.  Dunn doesn't do that.  He could move to a team like the Sox, have some protection and all of a sudden hit .270, if thats the case, the guy is a premiere offensive player in my book or close to it.

I'm sorry but I think this is ridiculous. He hits .270 and suddenly he's a premier offensive player? His career average is .248 and he hit .247 this year. Do you know what the difference is between .248 and .270 over the course of a full season (550 AB)? 12 hits. If 12 more hits a year is what's keeping a guy who had consecutive 40 HR, 100 RBI, 100 BB seasons before the age of 26 off your team, then I don't think your priorities are in order.

Wow, that is an awful lot to overpay for the talents of either of those 2.. Maybe Marte and Prospect for them but not an everyday player as well. I think we be getting arse raped in that deal.

Okay, so make it Rowand and Marte for Chad Tracy. I would think that Tracy, who has the potential to be a legit #3 power-hitter, is worth more than Rowand and Marte especially to us since a #3 hitter is the main hole in our lineup. The Diamondbacks would definately be interested in Marte since they had the worst bullpen in baseball this year. Luis Terrero stinks so Rowand could replace him in center field. The Diamondbacks could then trade either Luis Gonzalez or Shawn Green to make room for Carlos Quentin in the outfield. Brian Anderson has to play sooner or later and he would replace Rowand in center field. A guy like Mike Myers could replace Marte in our bullpen. All in all, it sounds like a great trade to me.

Okay, so make it Rowand and Marte for Chad Tracy.  I would think that Tracy, who has the potential to be a legit #3 power-hitter, is worth more than Rowand and Marte especially to us since a #3 hitter is the main hole in our lineup.  The Diamondbacks would definately be interested in Marte since they had the worst bullpen in baseball this year.  Luis Terrero stinks so Rowand could replace him in center field.  The Diamondbacks could then trade either Luis Gonzalez or Shawn Green to make room for Carlos Quentin in the outfield.  Brian Anderson has to play sooner or later and he would replace Rowand in center field.  A guy like Mike Myers could replace Marte in our bullpen.  All in all, it sounds like a great trade to me.

Yes, it does sound all great.. But who plays RF/CF in 07?

Yes, it does sound all great.. But who plays RF/CF in 07?

The Sox have a $6 million option on Dye for 2007, not that I'm sure they would pick that up at this point. Our outfield could look very different in 2007 anyways with guys like Brian Anderson, Chris Young, Jerry Owens, and Ryan Sweeney all ready to contribute.

The Sox have a $6 million option on Dye for 2007, not that I'm sure they would pick that up at this point.  Our outfield could look very different in 2007 anyways with guys like Brian Anderson, Chris Young, Jerry Owens, and Ryan Sweeney all ready to contribute.

So why don't we try and trade Owens/Young/Sweeney with Marte.. We know what we have in Rowand, who IMO is going to get better. We have no idea what we have in the other 3. We are trying to win again, Azi IMO is about 2-3 years away Rowand D was a hugh part of our win this year.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 03:25 PM)
So why don't we try and trade Owens/Young/Sweeney with Marte.. We know what we have in Rowand, who IMO is going to get better. We have no idea what we have in the other 3. We are trying to win again, Azi IMO is about 2-3 years away Rowand D was a hugh part of our win this year.

But...Rowand would cost more than any of the other 3...we'd be able to keep any of the other 3 around longer, and the other 3 all have the potential to be better than what we've seen from Rowand. And I don't even know yet what we have in Rowand...the .310 hitter from 2004 or the .270 hitter from 05?

I think Jerry Owens is going to basically be Podsednik and fill our leadoff role for years once Pods is gone. I also think that Chris Young will be a better player than Rowand. I know Rowand isn't making much money but I'd rather trade the older player that is making a few million than the younger prospect who has more potential and will make next to nothing for years. With more veteran players (especially our rotation) getting raises every year, we will have to subtract payroll in some areas. Since we have some of the best outfield prospects in baseball, the outfield would be the ideal area to dump payroll. And how did Rowand's offensive decline from 2004 to 2005 make you believe that he is going to get better? He barely walked at all and struck out a ton.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 03:36 PM)
With more veteran players (especially our rotation) getting raises every year, we will have to subtract payroll in some areas. 

And aside from Konerko, the 2 most important players on our roster right now that we need to make sure do not depart in the next few years are Garland and Buehrle.