The Cubs next year?

sox-r-us

We have all heard how the Cubs could win it all next year since the other 2 long losing streaks are now gone

But, here is a slightly different spin to it. 1st the Red Sox, then the White Sox, so it is natural to follow that with the Blue Sox (and you know who wears those)

The US flag is Red, White and Blue and amazingly, people always refer to it in that order

Here is a Mike Downey article that talks of it too:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Cubs already had their chance and they f***ed it up.

'03 - Cubs (Up 3-1 in the NLCS and f***ed it up)

'04 - Red Cubs

'05 - White Sox

'06 - Indians

'07 - Pirates

I understand what Mike Downey is getting at here but it's just not gonna happen, the Cubs' year was 2003 and they f***ed it up, it's their own damn fault.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Oct 30, 2005 -> 12:28 AM)

'04 - Red Cubs

'05 - White Sox

'06 - Indians

'07 - Pirates

I understand what Mike Downey is getting at here but it's just not gonna happen, the Cubs' year was 2003 and they f***ed it up, it's their own damn fault.

Exactly.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Oct 30, 2005 -> 06:28 AM)

'04 - Red Cubs

'05 - White Sox

'06 - Indians

'07 - Pirates

How can you be so confident? One year back, everyone said (including most Sox fans) that we would never ever win it all

Let's see what happens....

Que Sera Sera....whatever will be will be, the future's not ours to see....Que Sera Sera

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Oct 30, 2005 -> 01:40 AM)
How can you be so confident? One year back, everyone said (including most Sox fans) that we would never ever win it all

Let's see what happens....

Que Sera Sera....whatever will be will be, the future's not ours to see....Que Sera Sera

I'm a f***ing psychic. Note the fact that I predicted the World Series winners for the next 2 years as well . . . and correctly I might add.

Prior would have to revert back to 2003 Prior. Wood would have to stay healthy and pitch like he did in 2003. Maddux would have to pitch like he did with the Braves. They would have to sign Furcal and Giles. Also, their bullpen would have to pitch a hell of a lot better than the past two years. Finally, they would have to fire Dusty Baker. In other words, I don't see it happening.

Edited by SSH2005

If the Cubs win it, I'll stop watching baseball just because I'm positive they won't win it unless something is rigged. I wouldn't say the White Sox and Red Sox were rigged because I don't believe that. I would however know for a fact that the White Sox championship would be easily forgotten for the average Chicago person.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Oct 30, 2005 -> 01:28 AM)

'04 - Red Cubs

'05 - White Sox

'06 - Indians

'07 - Pirates

What the hell you're talking about Kalapse?

'04 - Red Cubs

'05 - White Sox

'06 - White Sox

'07 - White Sox

Now that's more like it!

QUOTE(BlackBetsy @ Oct 30, 2005 -> 05:36 PM)
The pattern was '08 (Cubs) - '17 (White Sox) - '18 (Red Sox)

If the reverse pattern holds up, it would be:

'04 (Red Sox) - '05 (White Sox) - '14 (Cubs)

Motto for Cubs fans- "Wait til nine years"

That would technically mean that the Red Sox would win the next two World Series.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Oct 30, 2005 -> 06:03 PM)
Unless you're the Yankess, Braves and now the Red Sox, you only get one chance in a long time.  You have to make the most of it, or go back into the crowd.  They blew it in '03.  They're only hope is that the Cards and Stros get old and that the Cubs basically outlive them.

If you take Braves out, I'd agree.

Mazzone = Baltimore

And just to throw it out there...still depending upon the Konerko situation, I like the White Sox just as much as I like any other big market team right now. The Sox rotation is gonna be awesome next year, and the bullpen should be just as good...they bring Konerko back, and I like the Sox chances of winning about 100 games again.

The Cubs definitely have too many holes to fill to be considered legit contenders at this point, even if everyone is healthy.

For all the talk of their great starting pitching, they even have issues there. If any one of their top 4 is out for a prolonged amount of time, they are going to have a hard time coping because they don't have dependable replacements. At a minimum, Prior and Zambrano would both have to stay healthy and win at least 15 apiece, probably more. Also, Wood and Maddux have to be above .500 pitchers. If they can all win 15, that's a solid foundation, but I don't think that'll happen.

Their lineup/position players also need some work. Ramirez and Lee are set, although I personally doubt Lee produces the same numbers as last season (I'd bet somewhere around .280, 35, 100). Barrett and Blanco is probably going to be the catching setup, which is passable. The need to figure out who plays SS and 2B, where they only have one legit starter (Walker) when healthy. The outfield is obviously a huge question, and they need to find at least two legit players badly. The bullpen is their other serious problem spot, where the only guy I'd call above average is Dempster, who thus far is a Borowski-like one year wonder in my book.

Giles or Damon is a must for them, both would be better. They also need at least one major bullpen arm, preferrably a lefty. Two arms would probably be better, something like Ryan and Hoffman. In any case, they need to do some serious work. In order for me to consider them a strong candidate to win it all, they'd need to get Giles, Furcal or Damon (reasonable player at the other position, ie Alex Gonzalez or Jacque Jones), and some combination of elite closer/decent closer and other arms. I don't think there's any way they can do all of that.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

I don't see the Braves collapsing just because Mazzone is gone. I think their problems will be down the line from his leaving, although Roger McDowell might do well for them (I think he's the new guy). No word on whether or not he'll send Tim Hudson out to the mound with a bra on the outside of his jersey

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Oct 30, 2005 -> 09:03 PM)
How the color of a teams sox on there uniforms would have any effect on how the team performs on the field is beyond me.

I hate these stupid articles.

These are Cubs' fans we're talking about. They've never been known to believe in logic. Come on, they believe that turning away a guy with a goat in 1945 is the cause of all of their problems. :bang