The Cubs next year?

sox-r-us

Murton is perfectly fine in left, Patterson won't repeat his '05 numbers but he's not going to be an all-star or anything the Cubs can be succesfull with him in Center, a replacement would be alright too.  The thing the Cubs need most is HEALTH and CONSISTENCY.

I don't think the Cubs will make the playoffs in '06.

I agree that Murton will be fine in left field but Patterson keeping his starting job would be a disaster. He has no baseball instincts whatsoever. He swings at pitches over his head and in the dirt. When he actually does get in base, he doesn't know when to steal. He can't even bunt to use his speed. Chris Young will probably be the player Corey Patterson was supposed to be. The Cubs would be better off bringing Kenny Lofton back for a year until Felix Pie is ready. If I was a Cubs fan, I would curse Jim Hendry to hell if Corey Patterson was the opening day starting center fielder in 2006.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Patterson is not my Ideal CF, but if the Cubs sign Furcal & Giles (or get another high guality RF), upgrade at 2B (Walker is more than likely going to be traded). Patterson batting 8th would not be the end of the world. I imagine if he played the whole year he would be from .250-.275 with 15-20HR.

My choices for CF would be

1. Lofton 2. Hairson 3. Pierre (there's chatter about trading for him) 4. Patterson 5. Damon (to many years, just not worth it)

Edited by Z38

QUOTE(Z38 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 05:00 PM)
Patterson is not my Ideal CF, but if the Cubs sign Furcal & Giles (or get another high guality RF), upgrade at 2B (Walker is more than likely going to be traded).  Patterson batting 8th would not be the end of the world.  I imagine if he played the whole year he would be from .250-.275 with 15-20HR.

My choices for CF would be

1. Lofton 2. Hairson 3. Pierre (there's chatter about trading for him) 4. Patterson 5. Damon (to many years, just not worth it)

All of those things simply won't happen. Furcal and Giles is already a stretch, then you expect them to find one of few quality 2B? I'd get used to a Murton, Patterson, Jacque Jones outfield, because that's what I'm seeing as the 2006 Cub outfield.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 09:03 AM)
All of those things simply won't happen. Furcal and Giles is already a stretch, then you expect them to find one of few quality 2B? I'd get used to a Murton, Patterson, Jacque Jones outfield, because that's what I'm seeing as the 2006 Cub outfield.

I think the Cubs are going to wind up with Furcal. Guy who spent years lying about his age, who's overpriced, and who has had a couple of DUI's in the past? Sounds like their kind of guy.

See, there's the kind of trouble AJ causes...then there's the other kind of trouble...

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 11:44 AM)
I think the Cubs are going to wind up with Furcal.  Guy who spent years lying about his age, who's overpriced, and who has had a couple of DUI's in the past?  Sounds like their kind of guy.

See, there's the kind of trouble AJ causes...then there's the other kind of trouble...

Furcal does seem to like the night life. His day/night splits from the past 2 years are absolutely pathetic, if Furcal has to play 60 or so home day games next year he could end up having a pretty down season.

QUOTE(BMac41 @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 12:57 PM)
Who cares if the Cubs wind up with Furcal.They'll still suck.

Bingo. I never said they won't get a major FA. Furcal and Giles would both be great fits if they could get them. What I have said is that they need more serious upgrades than what one major guy can give them. Giles/Damon seem to be what they need most, as those are the only two OF's I see that can make a big impact. Since Giles looks like a near lock to stay put, that's going to make things tough on them. Even if they get Furcal, that only gives them 5 legit position plays if they're healthy (I'm counting 2 of Walker, Barrett, and Murton. The previous two can hit a little, but does it overshadow below average defense?).

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 12:44 PM)
I think the Cubs are going to wind up with Furcal.  Guy who spent years lying about his age, who's overpriced, and who has had a couple of DUI's in the past?  Sounds like their kind of guy.

who also is a great lead off guy with a cannon for an arm.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 01:16 PM)
who also is a great lead off guy with a cannon for an arm.

I wouldn't call him a "great" leadoff guy. Outside of his rookie year when he somehow walked 73 times, his career high OBP is .352. Plus this has been by far his best year defensively. He nearly cut his errors in half from last year to this year.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 01:43 PM)
FWIW, ESPN Radio 1000 is starting the "Cubs Are Players in Everybody" storyline for the offseason...

they said they're after Furcal, Burnett, and Juan Pierre in a trade with Florida

People following the Cubs always think they're after everybody. If they got everyone they thought they were going to get, their starting IF would be Thome, Tejada, Rolen, Renteria at 2B just for fun, and I-Rod behind the plate. Plus Beltran would be starting in CF for good measure.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 01:43 PM)
FWIW, ESPN Radio 1000 is starting the "Cubs Are Players in Everybody" storyline for the offseason...

they said they're after Furcal, Burnett, and Juan Pierre in a trade with Florida

The way I heard it was Pierre was if they didn't get Furcal.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 10:43 AM)

I'd love for the Cubs to sign Burnett. I always figured Prior and Wood needed more company on the DL. After all, the more Kerry Wood clones, the better!

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 03:08 PM)
I'd love for the Cubs to sign Burnett.  I always figured Prior and Wood needed more company on the DL.  After all, the more Kerry Wood clones, the better!

According to cubs fans they are basically buying a new team. Not only that, but for the low low price of 2 prospects, everyone is willing to part with anything they have!!!

I loooove cubs fans.

QUOTE(Z38 @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 06:51 PM)
For the most part you're right but there are a couple of us that know how trades work :)

(but hendry has pulled off a couple of nice trades like that.... 3 prospects got Nomar and a prospect)

Nomar was washed up when he came here, IMO. Epstein knew it, that's why he couldn't/didn't get more, he wanted to move Cabrera in for SS.

I think at this point Hendry is overrated, his move that he lives on is the Pittsburgh deal in '03 getting Lofton and A-Ram... while that was a solid move, it was a firesale by the Pirates.

Did he give up Dontrelle or did the previous GM?

Maddux contract is also backloaded for this year, so why they drop some payroll in Sosa's contract, they pick up some on Maddux...

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 12:02 PM)
Furcal does seem to like the night life. His day/night splits from the past 2 years are absolutely pathetic, if Furcal has to play 60 or so home day games next year he could end up having a pretty down season.

not only that but Wrigley is a home run park and we all know how good he is when he starts swinging for the fences. That is why he sucked in the 1st half.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Nov 5, 2005 -> 04:25 PM)
not only that but Wrigley is a home run park and we all know how good he is when he starts swinging for the fences.  That is why he sucked in the 1st half.

Simple recipe for Furcal to have success, put the ball in play;

Pre ASB - .254/.310/.393 (45/29 K/BB ratio)

Post ASB - .322/.394/.474 (33/33 K/BB ratio)

Oh and this made me laugh;

Surprise! The low-revenue Royals have expressed serious interest in signing free-agent shortstop Rafael Furcal, even though they know the high-revenue Cubs and Mets will be major bidders and that Furcal is seeking a five-year deal in the $50 million range.

Furcal would be a terrific addition for the Royals, who are building around young pitching, but it would be a shocker if they signed him. The Royals, one of several low-revenue teams increasing payroll, plan to spend between $15 and $18 million this off-season …

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 6, 2005 -> 09:07 AM)
No team with a payroll under $40 million should sign a player to a $10 million a year deal.

Well if they could get Furcal, I'm sure they would no matter what the payroll is. You're right in saying no way should 25% of your payroll go into one player (Maggilo Ordonez people), but the Royals are so desperate for upgrades, I'm sure they wouldn't care.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 5, 2005 -> 06:31 PM)
Well if they could get Furcal, I'm sure they would no matter what the payroll is. You're right in saying no way should 25% of your payroll go into one player (Maggilo Ordonez people), but the Royals are so desperate for upgrades, I'm sure they wouldn't care.

I'm sure they wouldn't care either, but it would just consign them to another 5 years of losing until they were finally able to trade him with 1 year left on the contract.

The only way the Royals are going to build a winning team is to do exactly what Cleveland did this year...develop people, trade them away, constantly get younger, draft well, stockpile talent, and then at the last moment, sign the 1 or 2 guys who will help you get over the top.

It's a long process, but it can be done. Look at Milwaukee.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 6, 2005 -> 02:42 PM)
I'm sure they wouldn't care either, but it would just consign them to another 5 years of losing until they were finally able to trade him with 1 year left on the contract.

The only way the Royals are going to build a winning team is to do exactly what Cleveland did this year...develop people, trade them away, constantly get younger, draft well, stockpile talent, and then at the last moment, sign the 1 or 2 guys who will help you get over the top.

It's a long process, but it can be done.  Look at Milwaukee.

That's exactly the model they need to be focusing on. The only problem is, they're hardly stocked with minor league talent like Cleveland or Milwaulkee. Billy Butler and Alex Gordon will be 2 impact players down the road. And they've got some nice young bullpen arms in Sisco and Burgos. Besides that though, there's not a lot of hope. But it can be done, if you've got good young pitching. That's a huge key for any franchise.