E-mail to Brooks

tonyho7476

QUOTE(watchtower41 @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 01:21 PM)
It didnt stop the Sox from broadcasting the intro (had both Pirates and Thunderstruck) on every major network during the rally after the parade.

The Sox now control the broadcasting of the networks... :huh

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys the Sox subscribe I'm sure to ASCAP or BMI or else they wouldn't be able to play any music at the games or use it in their intro.

If they wanted to put AC/DC on the DVD it's simply a matter of negotiating a royalty with their publisher. For AC/DC it could be a great marketing opportunity, just as I'm sure Journey's Greatest Hits sales completely spiked the past month here.

The Sox may decide it's more trouble than it's worth, but on the other hand the publishers could view this as an added revenue stream. So no it's not impossible.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 11:43 AM)
Hey I asked this a while ago but can you please also mention to him to include the intro video from each of this year's home games?  That was a favorite, and I'm guessing it's going to change before next season--it has to.  It would be a nice memento to open the DVD!

LV nice avatar bro.. any one else have pics from the city with the Sox pride and Sox lights? if so please post them . The ont on the Wolrd series vedio is awesome.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 05:04 PM)
Also, the Bulls, Knicks, and I believe a couple of other NBA teams released "soundtracks" of music played in the arenas, along with soundbites from important events.

Maybe however that was done would be a way to get the songs on the DVD?    :huh

That was a CD though IIRC? Right? Legal differences between audio and video.. :huh

QUOTE(Steff @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 11:07 PM)
That was a CD though IIRC? Right? Legal differences between audio and video..  :huh

couldn't they just not use those songs?

i mean, i really could care less, it adds to it yes, but i could easily just as soon watch it with a generic soundtrack behind it that the sox could easily compose themselves.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 02:36 PM)
Exactly.  The White Sox would have to pay royalties for everytime that montage is distributed, to each artist whose song is used in it.  From what has been stated already it is not cost effective.

Actually, deals like that are made all the time for relatively low cost. Think about $0.16-$0.20 per song per DVD. If the DVD goes for $40, the $1-$2 in music costs would be minimal.

QUOTE(Steff @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 07:07 PM)
That was a CD though IIRC? Right? Legal differences between audio and video..  :huh

Not when it comes to making CDs. Only when you are talking about performances.

If you want to copy someone's recording of a song, you need permission.

If you want to "play" (perform) someone's recording of a song, you don't need permission. There is no general performance right for sound recording copyright owners (the exception being on-line streaming and other digital performances).

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 03:19 PM)
If shows like these can have pricey, complete DVD season box sets:

Gilmore Girls

Veronica Mars

Entourage

Laguna Beach

Full House

One Tree Hill

Drawn Together

Viva La Bam

America's Funniest Home Videos

Las Vegas

I'm sure a nice Sox box set could turn a profit too.

I feel what you're saying, but I think you'd be surprised.

QUOTE(BlackBetsy @ Nov 6, 2005 -> 09:32 PM)
Not when it comes to making CDs.  Only when you are talking about performances.

If you want to copy someone's recording of a song, you need permission. 

If you want to "play" (perform) someone's recording of a song, you don't need permission.  There is no general performance right for sound recording copyright owners (the exception being on-line streaming and other digital performances).

You are correct, including "Thunderstruck" on a DVD would entail royalties to AC/DC and their record company. Nobody here is disputing that. Licensing fees vary dramatically based on circulation, type of medium, per-unit cost, number of times and amount of the song that is used, as background or foreground music...a whole slew of variables are involved in calculating what it would cost to buy rights to music for use in a DVD.

Technically, RIAA requires BMI and/or ASCAP licenses for DJs and Venues to play copyrighted music recordings for an audience, and a similarly comprehensive list of variables is used to arrive at the cost to obtain such a license. While a lot of entertainment venues and DJs themselves are small enough operations to make due without adherence to RIAA guidelines, you can bet your bottom dollar that a venue the size of a Major League ballpark is far too big to fly under their radar, and they do probably pay some sort of annual licensing fees.

QUOTE(Drew @ Nov 7, 2005 -> 04:25 AM)
Technically, RIAA requires BMI and/or ASCAP licenses for DJs and Venues to play copyrighted music recordings for an audience, and a similarly comprehensive list of variables is used to arrive at the cost to obtain such a license.

The RIAA doesn't require it, the Copyright Act does. ASCAP and BMI generally give out blanket licenses that you just sign up and pay for. It's a remarkably simple process.

While a lot of entertainment venues and DJs themselves are small enough operations to make due without adherence to RIAA guidelines, you can bet your bottom dollar that a venue the size of a Major League ballpark is far too big to fly under their radar, and they do probably pay some sort of annual licensing fees.

Those who make do without ASCAP/BMI licenses are at risk to get sued...and they often do.

MLB would have its own ASCAP/BMI license to play music at stadiums.

Getting a disc put together with the "Sox greatest hits" wouldn't be that hard. You would just need to know who owns the rights - the payment terms wouldn't be that onerous. Like I said, my best guess is that with publisher rights and record company rights, it would cost about $0.16-$0.20 per song per DVD.

QUOTE(BlackBetsy @ Nov 7, 2005 -> 09:54 AM)
Getting a disc put together with the "Sox greatest hits" wouldn't be that hard. 

I had asked Brooks about this a while ago...he said this was something they had looked into, and were going to look into it again, due to the Sox success.

Via Reifert:

http://whitesoxpride.mlblogs.com/

Also, many people have called and asked about DVDs of the World Series and season.  The World Series DVD by MLB should appear just after Thanksgiving, while MLB's season highlight video for the Sox should make its appearances on store shelves in early December. Both will make great stocking stuffers.