Do you know what is Bullshit about the Illini

It is that they won't even be going bowling for another 2 or 3 years. Yet Ohio State doesn't get suspended from any bowl games when they have the most dirty program in College Sports. Not only did one guy Clarrett get caught getting free benefits, Troy Smith and countless others did. Yet they didn't get punished at all. This is complete bulls*** and this is not because I am a Michigan fan. Who knows whether A.J. Hawk got payed for coming to OSU. It is possible he did.

http://www.madison.com/tct/sports/general/...d=40294&ntpid=2

I think what you have here is One program (Illinois) who got caught, and didnt really do any attempt to cover it up.

Then you have another program(Ohio St) who got torched by one of their own in Clarett. The only big problem here is that Clarett has little to no credibility, he is a proven liar, and a silver spooner who expects everything to go his way. Ohio St did an impressive job of damage control, switched the main focus to the improprieties going on in their basketball program, which could be blamed on a coach who was already gone.

Troy Smith and countless others did. Yet they didn't get punished at all.

Troy Smith was suspended for taking $500. He missed a bowl game because of it. Remember that Clarett guy missing essentially the rest of his college career? yeah, thats punishment

This is complete bulls*** and this is not because I am a Michigan fan.

You should not write this....

Who knows whether A.J. Hawk got payed for coming to OSU. It is possible he did.

.....And follow it with this^^

It makes your argument sound like a sour grapes/rivalry argument. AJ Hawk isnt involved in this at all.

It doesnt take a genius to figure out that most, if not all, major programs pay players to come play at their school. The coaches play mad games of hide the ball when the auditors come looking, and sometimes they just cant cover up everything that these 18 year olds with superstar power and fame do with their considerable time off. The difference in these situations I see is that Ohio St came out and admitted their problems(admittedly, after they were about to get 'outed'), and Illinois got caught.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 11:51 AM)
http://www.madison.com/tct/sports/general/...d=40294&ntpid=2

I think what you have here is One program (Illinois) who got caught, and didnt really do any attempt to cover it up.

Then you have another program(Ohio St) who got torched by one of their own in Clarett.  The only big problem here is that Clarett has little to no credibility, he is a proven liar, and a silver spooner who expects everything to go his way.  Ohio St did an impressive job of damage control, switched the main focus to the improprieties going on in their basketball program, which could be blamed on a coach who was already gone. 

Troy Smith was suspended for taking $500.  He missed a bowl game because of it.  Remember that Clarett guy missing essentially the rest of his college career?  yeah, thats punishment

You should not write this....

.....And follow it with this^^

It makes your argument sound like a sour grapes/rivalry argument.  AJ Hawk isnt involved in this at all. 

It doesnt take a genius to figure out that most, if not all, major programs pay players to come play at their school.  The coaches play mad games of hide the ball when the auditors come looking, and sometimes they just cant cover up everything that these 18 year olds with superstar power and fame do with their considerable time off.  The difference in these situations I see is that Ohio St came out and admitted their problems(admittedly, after they were about to get 'outed'), and Illinois got caught.

Illinois did the investigation and turned themselves in to the NCAA. Mason is no longer a member of the Illini as he was kicked off of the team.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 12:55 PM)
Illinois did the investigation and turned themselves in to the NCAA.  Mason is no longer a member of the Illini as he was kicked off of the team.

I stand corrected. I didnt realize that they had tried for the secondary violation which was changed to a major violation

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-illinois-print

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 12:33 PM)
you do know that i am only a year younger than you.  Also this isn't sour grapes.  This is the fact that College players are semi pro players and shouldn't get any special benefits.  It isn't right.

You'd never know it by reading some of your posts.

Also, if you're going to assume that Ohio State payed AJ Hawk to come play for them (even though he was a walk on) then you have to assume the same about Michigan. To just make up baseless claims about schools paying players simply because you don't like that school is f***ing stupid. If you're going to look at Ohio State basketball going on probation as some kind of sign that their football program is also corrupt then maybe you should take a look at the Wolverines.

Oh yeah, and it quite obviously is sour grapes.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 12:15 PM)
It is that they won't even be going bowling for another 2 or 3 years.  Yet Ohio State doesn't get suspended from any bowl games when they have the most dirty program in College Sports.  Not only did one guy Clarrett get caught getting free benefits, Troy Smith and countless others did.  Yet they didn't get punished at all.  This is complete bulls*** and this is not because I am a Michigan fan.  Who knows whether A.J. Hawk got payed for coming to OSU.  It is possible he did.

STFU you little b****y Michigan fan.

The most dirty program, come on. If you want to talk about sports in general, didnt U of M get a title taken from them?

Do you think maybe there is a reason that other schools get punished, oh yeah they get caught cause they are stupid.

If you think that only a select few schools give their players benefits you are dead wrong. EVERYONE does it. I will tell you our big QB at my school (I wont name names but he plays on a NFL team based in pittsbugh) definatley got his share of freebies. In fact my buddy who was a nickel back got a ton of s*** from the school. The morons that get caught, get punished.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 09:34 PM)

The most dirty program, come on.  If you want to talk about sports in general, didnt U of M get a title taken from them?

Do you think maybe there is a reason that other schools get punished, oh yeah they get caught cause they are stupid.

If you think that only a select few schools give their players benefits you are dead wrong.  EVERYONE does it.  I will tell you our big QB at my school (I wont name names but he plays on a NFL team based in pittsbugh) definatley got his share of freebies.  In fact my buddy who was a nickel back got a ton of s*** from the school.  The morons that get caught, get punished.

Illinois turned themselves in, they were not caught by the NCAA to my knowledge.

However, you could only agree that OSU is the dirtiest program in sports right now. The basketball program is just coming off probation years, and likely to again be put on probation just in time for their stellar recruiting classes after some summer investigations. I won't get started on the Clarett/others situation, but clearly something was up and they should have been punished way more severly.

Just a friendly reminder after reading some of the above posts

Posts will be edited by the Soxtalk staff to remove objectionable material. Soxtalk encourages a free discussion between its members, but does not allow personal attacks, threats, graphic sexual material, nudity, or any other materials judged offensive by the Administrators and Moderators. Thank you.

Players who have had legal or disciplinary problems during Jim Tressel's tenure as Ohio State's head football coach (does not include common traffic offenses):

•  May 1, 2004: Sophomore backups Louis Irizarry and Ira Guilford are arrested and charged with robbery after a student is assaulted and his wallet is stolen. They are held in Franklin County jail through the weekend. Both plead innocent to the robbery charge.

•  Nov. 16, 2003: Wide receiver Santonio Holmes and quarterback Troy Smith are charged with misdemeanor disorderly conduct after a fight in a parking lot on campus. A window in a car is kicked out and one woman reported her jaw was broken. Holmes pleads innocent to the disorderly conduct charge. The charge is dismissed against Holmes on March 30, 2004. Smith is found guilty of the charge.

•  Oct. 27, 2003: Irizarry is charged with three counts of first-degree misdemeanor assault after three people sustain minor injuries during a fight in a Park Hall dorm room. Irizarry is suspended two days later. He is found guilty of one charge each of assault, negligent assault and disorderly conduct and pays $404 court costs and is put on probation. He is later reinstated to the team and is listed as the second-team tight end on the 2004 spring depth chart before he is suspended indefinitely after the May 1, 2004, arrest.

•  April 2003: Running back Maurice Clarett reports that a car he has borrowed from a local used-car dealer was broken into and thousands of dollars in cash, CDs, stereo equipment and clothing was stolen. The car was in the parking lot at the Woody Hayes Athletic Center and Clarett calls police from a telephone in Tressel's office. Clarett was later charged with lying to police about the value of the stolen items and is charged with misdemeanor falsification of the police report on the theft. Clarett pleads guilty Jan. 14, 2004, to the reduced charge of failure to aid a law enforcement officer.

•  Oct. 13, 2002: Linebacker Fred Pagac Jr. is charged with persistent disorderly conduct. Pagac was arrested at 3:45 a.m. after police said he was intoxicated and had a role in a fight involving two women outside a campus-area bar about 12 hours after the Buckeyes' homecoming win against San Jose State. The police report said an officer told Pagac to stop but he continued to fight. Pagac was suspended for the team's next game at Wisconsin. Pagac pleaded innocent. In December, before the team's national championship game against Miami in the Fiesta Bowl, Pagac was acquitted in a jury trial.

•  Aug. 17, 2002: Defensive lineman Quinn Pitcock is charged with underage drinking in his hometown of Piqua, Ohio. He pleaded no contest to a reduced charge of disorderly conduct.

•  Aug. 24, 2002: Flanker Chris Vance, the Buckeyes' second-leading receiver from 2001, is suspended from the team before the season opener for what Tressel called a violation of team policy. Vance was with the team on the sideline but did not play against Texas Tech. He rejoined the team for practice the following week but did not play in the second game against Kent State. Athletic director Andy Geiger later said Vance's unspecified violation took place the previous winter. Vance returned for the third game.

•  July 29, 2002: Wide receiver Angelo Chattams is investigated for the alleged theft of a set of golf clubs from a sports-utility vehicle in West Carrollton, Ohio. Prosecutors approve but do not file a theft charge, permitting Chattams to enroll in a program for nonviolent, first-time offenders and avoid a charge. He was excused from the team to deal with the legal matter, then reinstated and played in the season opener. He does not play again for the Buckeyes.

•  July 26, 2002: Police find Branden Joe, a sophomore fullback, asleep in a car on a highway ramp near campus. The police report says he refused to take a Breathalyzer test. He was suspended for the three weeks of preseason camp and the team's season opener against Texas Tech, then returns to the team although his playing time is limited by injuries.

•  April 27, 2002: Linebacker Marco Cooper is arrested and charged with felony drug abuse and carrying a concealed weapon in his sports-utility vehicle. Cooper pleads guilty to two charges in November and is put on probation.

•  March 2, 2002: Tight end Redgie Arden is arrested on a charge of drunken driving in his hometown of Ironton, Ohio. The redshirt freshman is found guilty and is sentenced to three days in jail and fined. Suspended from the team, he does not participate in summer workouts before the 2002 season but is reinstated before the start of the season and plays in 11 games. He is a member of the 2004 team and is listed on the two-deep roster at defensive end.

•  Nov. 15, 2001: Quarterback Steve Bellisari is arrested for drunken driving. Tressel suspends the Buckeyes' three-year starter indefinitely and then reinstates him to the team three days later. He later served a weekend in jail.

•  March 21, 2001: Cornerback Derek Ross is arrested on charges of driving without a license and providing false information to police, giving an incorrect name when pulled over for speeding. He was sentenced to 30 days in jail. He is suspended from Ohio State's 2001 spring practices, then played most of the 2001 season. Left team to make himself available for the NFL draft a year early.

great program he is running their. Edited by White Sox Josh

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 03:34 PM)

The most dirty program, come on.  If you want to talk about sports in general, didnt U of M get a title taken from them?

If you think that only a select few schools give their players benefits you are dead wrong.  EVERYONE does it.  I will tell you our big QB at my school (I wont name names but he plays on a NFL team based in pittsbugh) definatley got his share of freebies.  In fact my buddy who was a nickel back got a ton of s*** from the school.  The morons that get caught, get punished.

That doesn't make it right. Also the Michigan baksetball program got what they deserved. However this has never happened for the football program. Coach Carr runs a clean program. OSU doesn't. In fact most of Michigan's players are high character players who do a ton of stuff for Ann Arbor outside of football. A lot of OSU players have acted like thugs who should be punished more severly/

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 10:57 PM)
That doesn't make it right.  Also the Michigan baksetball program got what they deserved.  However this has never happened for the football program.  Coach Carr runs a clean program.  OSU doesn't.  In fact most of Michigan's players are high character players who do a ton of stuff for Ann Arbor outside of football.  A lot of OSU players have acted like thugs who should be punished more severly/

I don't think there is such thing as "clean" program on that level. Coach Carr just hasn't got caught yet.