Politte's option exercised, Everett's Declined

Goober

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 03:55 PM)
I think a lot of people haven't look at his stats.  Well over .400 OBP, high average, tons of xtra base hits and all that in Petco park with what is a rather meager offense.  Giles would put up a near 1.000 OPS if he were playing half his games at the cell. 

That said if the Pads offer him 3yr/30 he's gonna be staying in San Diego.

I agree with you, but San Diego is kind of in a position where they almost HAVE to keep him. They don't exactly have a wealth of offensive talent on that club right now, especially with some of their can't miss offensive prospects kinda struggling. Giles may not be going anywhere...

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 02:58 PM)
How about a guy who fell off the radar?

Erubial Durazo... (though admitedly, I don't know anything about his health status) -- I'd bring him in along with Frank.

As long as you're willing to live with the fact that he plays 0 defense. Durazo could be a decent offensive addition, assuming he's totally back from his Tommy John Surgery.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 04:05 PM)
Doesn't Cincinnati love over-paid, under-achieving pitchers?

El Duque for Adam Dunn.

You forgot to add in, aging and 'part-time'. There is no way you will ever get a full season out of el duque at this point of his career.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 02:58 PM)
How about a guy who fell off the radar?

Erubial Durazo... (though admitedly, I don't know anything about his health status) -- I'd bring him in along with Frank.

Well he got tommy john surgery around the first of september so i am figuring he will only sign an incentive laden deal. Tommy john can f*** up a hitter almost as much as it does to a pitcher. I am thinking one year deal with a base salary of 2-3 million and can make up to as much as 8 million in incentives.

I'm not saying Giles wouldn't be worth $10 mil NEXT season but how about in the third year of his contract? Not worth it IMO. Yes I have looked at his stats, he was on one of my fantasy teams this past year! Even if his contract was front heavy, something like a 13-10-7 split, he's not worth $13 next year for the Sox. We simply do NOT have the resources for this guy if we want Konerko back. I know Bonds has set a new standard in terms of how long players can play at their highest level, but be realistic, the steroid age is almost over. Players' abilities will resume declining in their mid to upper 30's with the usual retirement at 40 for GOOD players.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 04:09 PM)
Well he got tommy john surgery around the first of september so i am figuring he will only sign an incentive laden deal. Tommy john can f*** up a hitter almost as much as it does to a pitcher. I am thinking one year deal with a base salary of 2-3 million and can make up to as much as 8 million in incentives.

Thanks, like I said, I didn't know his injury status. -- If Frank is supposed to be back and healthy to start the season, then I go after Durazo as an insurance policy. Frank, as much as I love the guy, probably will never get 500 ABs in a season again. If Frank can get you the first couple of months before he breaks down, you can have another injured defensive seive waiting in the wings.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 03:15 PM)
Thanks, like I said, I didn't know his injury status. -- If Frank is supposed to be back and healthy to start the season, then I go after Durazo as an insurance policy. Frank, as much as I love the guy, probably will never get 500 ABs in a season again. If Frank can get you the first couple of months before he breaks down, you can have another injured defensive seive waiting in the wings.

Durazo is an intriguing option as long as PK comes back. Let's face it, at this point Durazo is nothing better than a DH, but if he is healthy, he could put up some big numbers in the Cell and be the LH bat the Sox have been looking for. Durazo and Frank sharing time at the DH spot seems like a good fit to me (as long as it makes sense financially).

I would like to see the Sox go on a different direction. I would like to see them dump Marte and El Duque and go after BJ Ryan. I thnk this accomplishes several things.

1. Its insurance in case Hermannson can't come back and perform at the same level, or even possibly not play at all.

2. If the above happens, he is insurance in case Jenks has a sophmore lsump and cant close games over a full year next year.

3. In the most optimistic scenario, it gives you the best bullpen in baseball with

Hermannson, Jenks, Cotts, Politte, and BJ Ryan.

4. In combination with our starters, we have hands down the best staff in baseball,

with unbelievable depth.

If that were to happen and you catch a little lightening in a bottle with Frank at the # 3 hole. I believe we would be in a tremendous position to repeat.

QUOTE(LEXNLIV @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 03:45 PM)
I would like to see the Sox go on a different direction. I would like to see them dump Marte and El Duque and go after BJ Ryan. I thnk this accomplishes several things.

1. Its insurance in case Hermannson can't come back and perform at the same level, or even possibly not play at all.

2. If the above happens, he is insurance in case Jenks has a sophmore lsump and cant close games over a full year next year.

3. In the most optimistic scenario, it gives you the best bullpen in baseball with

Hermannson, Jenks, Cotts, Politte, and BJ Ryan.

4. In combination with our starters,  we have hands down the best staff in baseball,

with unbelievable depth.

If that were to happen and you catch a little lightening in a bottle with Frank at the # 3 hole.  I believe we would be in a tremendous position to repeat.

Baltimore is in love with Ryan, and vice versa.

Frank is low risk (monetarily), high reward. He's a longtime Sox and is willling to do anything to stay here. I can't see why the Sox wouldn't bring him back. I actually think it would be foolish not to. I like the Durazo backup plan. The lefty aspect is intriguing as is his supposed unfulfilled potential. Coming off surgery and with the prospects of going to a team that just won the WS, I think something could easily be done in the $1-2 mill range with incentives.

Gammons was on Dan Patrick today and I'll try to recap where he said he thought players would go:

Brian Giles - Cubs

Rafael Furcal - Cubs

PK - White Sox

BJ Ryan - Mets

Bernie Williams - Rangers

Billy Wagner - Phillies

Nomar - Dodgers (as an OF)

Johnny Damon - Red Sox

That's all I can remember for now.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 06:07 PM)
Gammons was on Dan Patrick today and I'll try to recap where he said he thought players would go:

Brian Giles - Cubs

Rafael Furcal - Cubs

PK - White Sox

BJ Ryan - Mets

Bernie Williams - Rangers

Billy Wagner - Phillies

Nomar - Dodgers (as an OF)

Johnny Damon - Red Sox

That's all I can remember for now.

Odd. I wouldn't expect Bernie to the Rangers or Giles to the Cubs but I certainly like the bold writing! Johnny Damon, btw, is not staying in Boston. Just a hunch.

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 03:57 PM)
Frank is low risk (monetarily), high reward.  He's a longtime Sox and is willling to do anything to stay here.  I can't see why the Sox wouldn't bring him back.  I actually think it would be foolish not to.  I like the Durazo backup plan.  The lefty aspect is intriguing as is his supposed unfulfilled potential.  Coming off surgery and with the prospects of going to a team that just won the WS, I think something could easily be done in the $1-2 mill range with incentives.

I like Frank. However as long as we get a Frank who isnt going to bat 215 and try to hit every single pitch into the stands. He is dangerously close to a major milestone that could lock him in the hall of fame.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 06:10 PM)
Odd. I wouldn't expect Bernie to the Rangers or Giles to the Cubs but I certainly like the bold writing! Johnny Damon, btw, is not staying in Boston. Just a hunch.

Bernie to the Rangers he said because he wants to play DH full-time, he could do that in Texas and he loves Buck.

Giles to the Cubs he said without much thought, but didn't really give an explanation.

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 04:57 PM)
Frank is low risk (monetarily), high reward.  He's a longtime Sox and is willling to do anything to stay here.  I can't see why the Sox wouldn't bring him back.  I actually think it would be foolish not to.  I like the Durazo backup plan.  The lefty aspect is intriguing as is his supposed unfulfilled potential.  Coming off surgery and with the prospects of going to a team that just won the WS, I think something could easily be done in the $1-2 mill range with incentives.

You cannot...I repeat, CANNOT have two players on your bench that can only DH. One is bad enough, but two, not a chance. Even if you only carry 11 pitchers, that leaves you with ONE backup catcher, ONE backup infielder and ONE backup outfielder and two dead weights on the bench. Ozzie and KW will never go for it.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 06:13 PM)
Bernie to the Rangers he said because he wants to play DH full-time, he could do that in Texas and he loves Buck.

Giles to the Cubs he said without much thought, but didn't really give an explanation.

Ah, ok. Thanks for the explanation. Makes sence. But I thought Giles was close to inking back with the Pads? From what I know about the Cubs (not much honestly), they have Patterson, Murton, and Ben Grieve in the OF and Burnitz is a FA. Those are some big holes. Grieve is an overpayed stinker, Patterson is, well, Patterson, and Murton is an up and coming prospect I believe. Giles is definitely an upgrade but do they have enough to lock up Furcal and Giles PLUS the contracts of Ramirez, Lee, and the starters. Hmm.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 05:19 PM)
Ah, ok. Thanks for the explanation. Makes sence. But I thought Giles was close to inking back with the Pads? From what I know about the Cubs (not much honestly), they have Patterson, Murton, and Ben Grieve in the OF and Burnitz is a FA. Those are some big holes. Grieve is an overpayed stinker, Patterson is, well, Patterson, and Murton is an up and coming prospect I believe. Giles is definitely an upgrade but do they have enough to lock up Furcal and Giles PLUS the contracts of Ramirez, Lee, and the starters. Hmm.

I think Pie is their best bet instead of Patterson. i would unload patterson if I was them.

I dont see the cubs getting any of the top FA's, just based on some of their track records.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 06:21 PM)
I think Pie is their best bet instead of Patterson.  i would unload patterson if I was them.

I dont see the cubs getting any of the top FA's, just based on some of their track records.

That explains it. I thought Pie was in infielder.