Politte's option exercised, Everett's Declined

Goober

QUOTE(Steff @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 02:35 PM)
A bit OT.. what is Furcal's status..?

Rafael Furcal, SS, Braves Furcal started out 2005 terribly, but his second half (.322, .394 on-base percentage), along with the always-hot market for shortstops, has priced him right out of the Braves' plans. The Cubs are the team most often mentioned as Furcal's new home. Don't be surprised to see the strong-armed leadoff man sign a long-term (four-plus years) deal worth more than $11 million per.
Edited by Jordan4life_2005

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 02:36 PM)
FA, looking to command a contract in the neihborhood of 8-11 million and If I were to guess, he'll get something like a 4yr 40 mill deal (basically Jimmy Rollins type numbers).

The Cubs are going to be hot after Furcal and Damon (don't know if they'd be willing to sign both, but the Cubs are going to make it a priority to get at least one of them).

Perhaps he'll want to play with a team with some recient post season success... <_>

I think alot of people are under estimating what Carl did for us in the first half of the season. He may have fallen off a bit at the end, but it was understood considering it had been some time since he was fully healthy. But he was about as clutch as anyone can be in the first half driving home some ciritical RBI's. Not to mention being there when Frank couldnt perform for us.

Carl splits

April .280 .330 .818

May .198 .275 .583

June .350 .344 1.028

He drove in around 20 runs in April and June, really helping out an offense that was struggling. Thanks for everything Crazy Carl!

QUOTE(iWiN4PreP @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 02:36 PM)
wud be great to get giles and konerko..

only way that has a chance in hell tho is if konerko wants to be a chi-town star and signs with the sox and not the other clubs.

thus giving us the chance to fight for giles in a FA market. and then we make the outfield of

pods rowand dye and dh : giles or in anything like that.

or some how do it : pods, girls, dye and dh : frank

i just dont think frank can play a full year again, and id hate to see rowand go - who imo is such a wonder to have on the team. (him aj and crede, and his defensive ability)

We need a big LH bat on our lineup. We do not know how healthy Frank will be. Giles and Konerko would be a good 3-4 in our batting order. Giles can be our DH or Huff but resignig Paulie should be the #1 priority.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 02:34 PM)
I think Giles has to be the #1 FA target of the Sox.  He's a left handed bat whose done nothing but hit and get on base his entire career. 

A 3 yr 24 mill deal with some incentives would be pretty fair if you ask me.  His numbers could warrant bigger pay, but it doesn't seem like that many people are overly interested in him (although this is a bit premature since the FA period has yet to start). 

The other nice thing about Giles is that he can play all 3 outfield positions solidly and thats a nice feature.

Three years 24 million would get him laughing at you. Will take at least three years 30 million for him to move here from tthe west coast... and probally even more to go to the east coast.

Brian Giles turned down a three-year, $21 million contract from the Padres before filing for free agency yesterday.

San Diego's offer is "not close" to getting a deal done, agent Joe Bick said. "I will say that our primary goal all along has been to get Brian re-signed with the San Diego Padres, and nothing has changed as far as that goal is concerned," Bick said. "But things have moved kind of slow, which is fine. I'm not criticizing that. But now they have put themselves into a position where we're allowed to talk to other people." At least for the first two years of a deal, Giles is worth well more than $7 million per season. He starts getting pretty risky after that. The Cardinals, Dodgers and Red Sox are among the teams that could show interest in him.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 02:22 PM)
Carl will be in a place like Tampa.

Carl's not going to Tampa. They already have their OF full + DH duties. They have Crawford, Gomes, Huff (yes I know he plays 1B too but Travis Lee got all the reps there later in the season), Gathright, and a healed Baldelli.

QUOTE(iWiN4PreP @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 03:40 PM)
It would be great for furcal to sing with the cubs for 11 million, then have a flat-out s*** year. lol. that'd fit perfect for the cubbies.

I for one could care less if the cubs sign Furcal...why do we continue to focus with things over there?? What have they won lately? :P

Talk about not investing in "aging" performers aka Konerko. People are worried his stats will start to decline when he's 32-33. Giles is ALREADY 34. He'll be 35 in January. C'mon ppls, he's not worth $10 mil at this point. I'm not saying he's not going to get it, but he's not worth it especially from the Sox.

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 02:46 PM)
Talk about not investing in "aging" performers aka Konerko.  People are worried his stats will start to decline when he's 32-33.  Giles is ALREADY 34.  He'll be 35 in January.  C'mon ppls, he's not worth $10 mil at this point.  I'm not saying he's not going to get it, but he's not worth it especially from the Sox.

Willing to bet konerko starts decling at the same point giles does if not before. Konerko will not be putting these numbers up at the end of a five year deal ( make him the age giles is now) but giles will be putting up numbers at least as good as konerko is now.

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 02:46 PM)
Talk about not investing in "aging" performers aka Konerko.  People are worried his stats will start to decline when he's 32-33.  Giles is ALREADY 34.  He'll be 35 in January.  C'mon ppls, he's not worth $10 mil at this point.  I'm not saying he's not going to get it, but he's not worth it especially from the Sox.

What has Brian Giles done over the past few seasons to convince anyone that he'll suddenly drop off in production. The man has been a model of consistancy and has atleast 2 very good years left in him. A guy who can put up a 1.000 OPS is most definetly worthy of $10M a year.

QUOTE(Steff @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 12:39 PM)
Perhaps he'll want to play with a team with some recient post season success...  <_>

Obviously Ozzie loves him, but I don't know if the Sox go after him with Uribe and Crede emerging the way they have. That said, the Sox could very well opt for another speed guy and creating some sort of ultra platoon situation.

However, with the way Uribe played down the stretch, I just can't see the Sox spending 10 million on a shortstop thats not 6.5 million better than the guy were currently paying 3.5 million or so.

If they decided to move Tadahito and have Uribe or Furcal at 2nd, than that would be a possibility. Or of course if they plan on dealing Crede/Uribe (one of them) than it opens up things.

I think the Sox need to resign Konerko, sign Brian Giles, deal El Duque, potentially move Marte and maybe sign one more reliever (you can never have too many). For the most part I think they have a team thats already one of the best in the bigs (with Konerko).

I think the Sox need to resign Konerko, sign Brian Giles, deal El Duque, potentially move Marte and maybe sign one more reliever (you can never have too many). For the most part I think they have a team thats already one of the best in the bigs (with Konerko).

Agreed, for me, that wud be the best possible outcome of the free agency.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 02:53 PM)
I think the Sox need to resign Konerko, sign Brian Giles, deal El Duque, potentially move Marte and maybe sign one more reliever (you can never have too many).  For the most part I think they have a team thats already one of the best in the bigs (with Konerko).

I think you need to lay off the pipe. :P

My 2 cents on Everett, Thomas and the DH spot:

--Drop Everett (done)

--Bring back Thomas at reduced salary IF he is willing, and IF he has a chance of being in playing shape my March

--Bring up our two left-handed hitting first base prospects: Ross Gload and Casey Rogowski (sp?). Let them battle it out for a spot as the left DH.

By doing these things, you can add a left bat, and have the following Thomas scenarios covered:

A) Thomas is healthy, so G or R can just sub in to give Thomas, Konerko off days

B) Thomas is semi-healthy, or healthy and only semi-good, so platoon him with G or R.

C) Thomas can't do it, so give G or R a shot as a rookie*

That last scenario is a little scary, but both players look close to being ready for it. And I think they both have a good shot at putting up as good a number as Everett, who benefited greatly from people getting on ahead of him. If scenario C occurs, and the rookie isn't cutting it...

..We can go get Carl in July!!!

:P

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 12:50 PM)
What has Brian Giles done over the past few seasons to convince anyone that he'll suddenly drop off in production. The man has been a model of consistancy and has atleast 2 very good years left in him. A guy who can put up a 1.000 OPS is most definetly worthy of $10M a year.

I think a lot of people haven't look at his stats. Well over .400 OBP, high average, tons of xtra base hits and all that in Petco park with what is a rather meager offense. Giles would put up a near 1.000 OPS if he were playing half his games at the cell.

That said if the Pads offer him 3yr/30 he's gonna be staying in San Diego.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 03:48 PM)
Brian Giles will more than likely not even make it to November 12th.

Kevin Towers is hell-bent on keeping him in San Diego and has already reportedly offered a 3yr/$30M deal.

No way the Sox offer him anything near that.

How about a guy who fell off the radar?

Erubial Durazo... (though admitedly, I don't know anything about his health status) -- I'd bring him in along with Frank.