The Hairston plunking

SpringfieldFan

Hey, has anyone heard who made the decision for Bartolo to plunk Hairston? Did Bartolo and/or Olivo decide to do it themselves? Was it suggested by Cooper and/or Manuel? All I can say is if it was JM's idea, or if it wasn't his idea but he okay'ed it, then he has certainly earned some more of my respect back. That is just the attitude this teams needs and whoever came up with the idea to retaliate to protect Mags in at this moment the most valuable person on the team IMO.

:)

LT

Hey, has anyone heard who made the decision for Bartolo to plunk Hairston?  Did Bartolo and/or Olivo decide to do it themselves?  Was it suggested by Cooper and/or Manuel?  All I can say is if it was JM's idea, or if it wasn't his idea but he okay'ed it, then he has certainly earned some more of my respect back.  That is just the attitude this teams needs and whoever came up with the idea to retaliate to protect Mags in at this moment the most valuable person on the team IMO.

:)

LT

If they are smart we will never know who decided to do it. Everyone just needs to be quiet and act like it was an accident.

On the post game it was obvious that Bart did it on his own. Jerry all but confirmed it. Not that he needed to. Colon's actions said enough. He hit Jerry.. then slowly walked to the dugout with an awesome smirk on his face. Jerry stole the attention with his best Nancy Kerrigan impersonation.... "Why..?? Whhhyyyy..?? Whhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyy..?? "

Some of that stuff is entertaining to a limited degree, but it really is unnecessary. A prime example was in yesterday's Brave-Padre game in which the Brave pitcher hit Klesko in the head, and it was totally obvious to everyone that it was an accident. The Brave pitcher showed immediate remorse. But still, later in the game, the Padre pitcher just "HAD" to drill Chipper Jones. That is not part of the game.

Some of that stuff is entertaining to a limited degree, but it really is unnecessary.  A prime example was in yesterday's Brave-Padre game in which the Brave pitcher hit Klesko in the head, and it was totally obvious to everyone that it was an accident.  The Brave pitcher showed immediate remorse.  But still, later in the game, the Padre pitcher just "HAD" to drill Chipper Jones.  That is not part of the game.

I agree. I believe that they have lost some of the ability to know whether an HBP is an accident or a message. I agree that no retailiation is necessary on a true accident.

Basically, I just don't think these guys have a clue anymore. Guys charge the mound after they get clipped with a 70mph curveball. The glare at the pitcher and look all pissed when they get hit on the toe with a curveball in the dirt of by a fastball that nips their jersey while they are leaning way over the plate.

We wouldn't have to have warnings from umpires and so many ejections if these guys had a clue anymore. There are ways to take care of things on the field and there is a place for that. There is a time when it is necessary to drill a guy. But the problem is, no one seems to know when that time is anymore.

Whatever happened to hustling down to first, gritting your teeth and not letting the pitcher know it hurt? Now it is a big production, much of which is unnecessary.

Some of that stuff is entertaining to a limited degree, but it really is unnecessary.  A prime example was in yesterday's Brave-Padre game in which the Brave pitcher hit Klesko in the head, and it was totally obvious to everyone that it was an accident.  The Brave pitcher showed immediate remorse.  But still, later in the game, the Padre pitcher just "HAD" to drill Chipper Jones.  That is not part of the game.

It goes hand-in-hand with fighting in hockey. Those that play at that level know the emotion and tactics to get into someone's head. It appeared that ordonez was hit on purpose as he should have had about 6 RBI and was getting comfortable. Wheather he was hit on purpose or not you need to make sure that the other team, today it is Minnesota knows that if you hit one of our guys, your guys better be ready. There is a comfort factor in the box and an intimidation. In Ordonez mind getting hit will still be in there and may affect him a tad. Well now the opponent needs to have the same apprehension. Look at Sosa and his funk since getting hit. He can say the beaning was not the problem but no one really knows, not even him. I agree 100% with accidental thngs, (i.e. every time Eckstein gets hit.) But when your best (Ordonez and Thomas,) get hit becasue teh pitcher is trying to make a statement, well then, this is needed.

I agree Rex, but to a degree. Maggs is our star player and the hero of yesterdays game and Julio hit him in the back with a fastball. That was definitely intentional and Colons decision to retaliate was the right decision...

I agree 100%. I was speaking in generalities, not referring specifically to last night's incident. I did not see it, but if it occurred as described, then there is no doubt that is one of those times that things need to be handled on the field.

The key is knowing when that time is and when it is not. My feeling is that most players don't have a clue in that regard, which is what causes leagues and umpires to intervene as they do.

Guest hotsoxchick1

well whoevers call it was.. i have to say this about bart .. that was one of the most unselfish moves i have seen in a long time....he had a complete game going for him....instead he risked being tossed (which he ended up getting anyhow) to defend his guy.......( in this case maggs, who by the way has been hit isnt it like 5 or more times thus far??? tell me pitchers are not out aiming for him huh)......anyhow i just think it was a total class move on barts part to do this.. he has earned my respect and im sure he has established himself as a team player now if it was ever questionable before.........

anyhow i just think it was a total class move on barts part to do this.. he has earned my respect and im sure he has established himself as a team player now if it was ever questionable before.........

No doubt. Very unselfish thing to do when he had a complete game going for him knowing he'd probably get tossed if he did it after both benches were warned. BC's earned my respect sticking up for his teammates like that.

Julio definitely hit Maggs intentionally. Hes our star player and the hero of that game and Julio hit him in the square of the back with a fastball. Definitely intentional.

And hsc, that was a great selfless move Bartolo made. He coulda inflated his stats and made himself look better, but instead he decided that someone had to pay for Maggs getting hit and he acted. Very selfless indeed...

Guest hotsoxchick1
I don't think Bart "risked" getting thrown out.  I think he KNEW he was gone. And yes, that ball that hit Maggs was a high hard one.  That was definitely a purpose pitch.

yes he did risk it.. he could have easily just pitched a complete game and been done with it....but he didnt.....hence takin the risk of gettin thrown out......... ;)