Theo Epstein

nitetrain8601

Fool. Second highest payroll in baseball, your hometown and $1.5 million per year. I don't care if you have to answer to Shemp Howard, you keep that job.

I could understand it if he'd already had a long career and had made his money. But to leave $4.5 million on the table - security for yourself and your children - over whether you have to talk to Lucchino first is idiotic.

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view...&format=&page=1

Epstein had done some agonizing soul-searching the past few days, torn between staying at the job he had always coveted since his childhood days in Brookline and leaving because of intra-organizational politics and power struggles that he ultimately decided he could not live with any longer.

This just proves Moneyball is the sUx0rz.

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(BlackBetsy @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 05:13 PM)
Fool.  Second highest payroll in baseball, your hometown and $1.5 million per year.  I don't care if you have to answer to Shemp Howard, you keep that job.

I could understand it if he'd already had a long career and had made his money.  But to leave $4.5 million on the table - security for yourself and your children - over whether you have to talk to Lucchino first is idiotic.

It's far from idiotic. The man has his beliefs about his job and he did not like the situation. Money is not the end all. And don't worry, Theo will get at least $1.2MM per (probably more) from another team. No one will ever know the situation except those involved. but I have some respect for Theo stepping down instead of staying in a situation he was not comfortable with. It takes some integrity to do that.

QUOTE(ilsox7 @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 11:27 PM)
It's far from idiotic.  The man has his beliefs about his job and he did not like the situation.  Money is not the end all.  And don't worry, Theo will get at least $1.2MM per (probably more) from another team.  No one will ever know the situation except those involved. but I have some respect for Theo stepping down instead of staying in a situation he was not comfortable with.  It takes some integrity to do that.

Meh.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it started and ended with money. Whatever he spewed out on the situation was probaly just to save face.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 11:32 PM)
Meh.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it started and ended with money. Whatever he spewed out on the situation was probaly just to save face.

He and Larry Luchinno (sp?) weren't exactly on the same page, if I understand correctly...

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 05:32 PM)
Meh.

Granted it is the media...but pretty much every source is reporting that Theo was fine with the money and this was all about relationships and politics within the organization. And that makes sense. The offer of $1.5MM he turned down is pretty much in line with what his market value is. He might get his $2.5MM somewhere else, but chances are he stays in the 1-2MM range.

It's also probably worth pointing out that Theo in Boston is doing basically exactly what Jordan did after the shot in 98...he's leaving that city on top.

Theo would have, in Boston, been in charge of a team with a payroll approaching $150 million and expectations to beat the Yankees in the ALCS every single year.

He took that team and managed to push it over the top, winning a title and forever etching his name in Red Sox lore.

What would happen from then on? He's bound to make mistakes. Look at the Yankees, they're spending $200 million and they can't get it right. If they go a few years without winning, the same town that worshipped him will suddenly be calling for his head.

I think getting out of there now is probably the best thing he can do. Now what happens to his place in history if he takes a similar contract from someone like the Dodgers, the Phillies, or hell, even the Devil Rays, and pushes them up towards the top?

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 11:01 AM)
Mr. DePodesta, your flight to Boston is boarding.

Now that'd be INTERESTING. Wonder if he'll get a 2nd chance somewhere though. Too bad Josh Byrnes just left for Arizona a couple of days ago too.

QUOTE(whitesoxjr27 @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 05:48 PM)
red sox boards are on fire. there fans are really pissed theo is gone.

And if he waited 1-2 more years, and couldn't put a winner on the field...their reaction would have been the exact opposite. Which, I think, is probably one of the reasons he left.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 06:27 PM)
Is there a way for a team to talk to another GM that's already under contract to another team, such as Beane or Ricciardi?  Some people around here seem to believe they can, but I'm not sure.

I believe the team would have to seek the permission of the club where the guy is under contract.

Before they hired Theo, the BoSox offered Beane something like $2.5 million a year to head to Boston, and Beane turned it down to stay out west. He wont' be moving anywhere.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 07:25 PM)
And if he waited 1-2 more years, and couldn't put a winner on the field...their reaction would have been the exact opposite.  Which, I think, is probably one of the reasons he left.

Balta,

From all sources a tentative deal had been reached last night slash this morning and even though Theo didnt overly like it, he was willing to deal with Lucchino on the baseball side of things to continue his lifelong dream. However, it was not okay to Theo for Lucchino to stab him in the back to Boston Globe (part owners of the Red Sox) writer Dan Shaughnessy, in which Theo could no longer trust him.

It's a damn shame, and I can only hope that if there is any good that comes of this, Shaugnessy will be boycotted and Lucchino fired, even if Henry is on there side.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 01:25 AM)
And if he waited 1-2 more years, and couldn't put a winner on the field...their reaction would have been the exact opposite.  Which, I think, is probably one of the reasons he left.

You're pretty much saying that Theo Epstein isn't confident in his abilities to put a winner on the field? That's what it seems like.

Sounds to me like he lost the power struggle between he and Luchino, not any of the theories you're concocting (sp?)...