Fun Article

Reddy

QUOTE(Reddy @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 03:54 AM)
ESPN article

very fun article - i especially love the bit about our starting staff going 113 innings in the postseason without giving up a 3 run inning.  only team to ever go that long.  in fact only 6 teams have gone more than 40 innings.

holy s*** we were good.

some of it is interesting, but some of it is such a stretch it kind of makes you ask "what the hell?" Like he thing about Houston being by Route 45- it's not weird or wild, it's just a coincidence.

QUOTE(bighurt2719 @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 07:20 AM)
some of it is interesting, but some of it is such a stretch it kind of makes you ask "what the hell?" Like he thing about Houston being by Route 45- it's not weird or wild, it's just a coincidence.

It's just fun. Say, "huh" and carry on. :D

Useless Astrooooooooooooo Infoooooooo

Of the many numbers compiled on the Astros' offensive futility in the World Series, none sums up their problems more than this one we noticed:

Over these four games, just from the seventh inning on, the Astros sent 39 hitters to the plate with the tying or winning run on base. Exactly one of them got a run home (Jason Lane, in Game 3). Any more questions?

Isnt this wrong? In Game two, the Astros tied the game in the top of the ninth and Podsednik won the game in the bottom half, right?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 04:42 PM)
You might actually be Surprised, I've always liked stark, he always seems to actually care about the facts he's putting into those.

Dont get me wrong, i like Jayson Stark too. I just dont think that he likes to be told that he erroneously inserted a useless fact that was wrong. I thought the rest of the article was spot on.

I always wondered how he comes up with the proper useless fact questions to ask the Elias Sports Bureau. I wonder if he is watching games, and just jotting down strange occurences and plays that he would like to have looked at more closely, or if he actually knows and just confirms with the ESB. Either way, i think his work is great.