White Sox defied the statistics geeks

shakes

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 02:56 PM)
Desperate?

They traded a CFer with a weak arm coming off a .311 OBP season who is considered a leadoff hitter, while having an arguably better replacement waiting in the wings in Brady Clark, a solid, but not spectacular reliever, and a minor leaguer for a LFer coming off a .300 30 100 .890 season.  They had money to spend, and I think they spent it very wisely.  If I'm a Brewers fan, I have to consider that the heist of the offseason. 

Unfortunately for Brewers fans, Aaron Rowand's second half OPS > Carlos Lee's second half OPS, Scott Podsednik had a better 3rd year for the Sox than he did 2nd year with the Brewers, putting up a solid OBP and stealing 60 bases, Vizcaino was a rather reliable guy out of the pen, and with the money saved, they added about 2-3 other HUGE players that later went on to help the Sox win the World Series. 

Hindsight says they were desperate.  Hindsight is stupid (sometimes).

And that's why they were able to trade Pods and Vizcaino, because of Brady Clark and the amount of payroll room they had. It looked like a seriously one way trade at the time, but as you say, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Of course they could have just wasted their money on someone like Troy Glaus instead, but because they had trouble signing a quality free agent (IIRC all they got was Damian Miller) they had to make a trade.

Of course if Lyle Overbay could learn how to play LF, Carlos Lee would be an excellent candidate to be traded again. But that's not going to happen.