Curry and ephedra allegations made and denied

Andrew Stroth, the attorney for renowned Chicago-based personal trainer Tim Grover, has vehemently denied a story that appeared in a New York newspaper that quoted an unnamed source who accused Grover of providing the banned substance ephedra to Knicks center Eddy Curry when he was a member of the Bulls.

"The statement made by the unnamed source is patently false," Stroth said Monday evening. "Tim Grover has an outstanding reputation of training world-class athletes. This allegation is unwarranted, untrue and an attack against Tim Grover."

Grover has worked with several other high-profile NBA players during his more than 20 years in the business, including Michael Jordan, Dwyane Wade, Quentin Richardson and Michael Finley.

The unnamed source accused Grover of providing Curry with ephedra during the summer of 2004. Curry experienced heart-related problems last season with the Bulls. When he refused to take a DNA test to determine if he was predisposed to a possibly fatal hereditary condition, Curry was traded to the Knicks on Oct. 3.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 01:25 PM)
None of these ephedra statements surprise me.  Ephedra can give you very similar symptoms to what Eddy experienced in his final pre-game warm-up as a Bull.

I'm not familiar with the side effects...so is it possible for there to be any real long term damage? Something that might cause an irregular heartbeat or some other heart problem?

http://www.webmd.com/content/article/22/1728_56154.htm

The popular weight loss herb ephedra could result in serious side effects, including heart attacks, stroke, and high blood pressure

But proponents of the dietary supplement say the agency's action proves that it is grabbing at straws. "The only reason they are able to go after its [ephedra's] combination with caffeine is that the GAO didn't review that section," says A. Wes Siegner, JD, a partner with the law firm Hyman, Phelps and McNamara.

Neal Benowitz, a professor at the University of California in San Francisco, says his review of those case studies turned up several severe events that were most likely the result of products containing ephedra, including five heart attacks, four strokes, and several cases of high blood pressure. In total, about 62% of the reports he reviewed could have resulted from the use of ephedra, he tells WebMD.

"I would prefer to see it pulled off the market until adequate warnings can be developed," he says. However, he says, the FDA's current position against its combination with caffeine might be sufficient in that ephedra itself may be fairly benign. There is a good case to be made that the real danger posed is from its combination with caffeine, he tells WebMD.

http://www.ephedrine-news.com/html/effects.html

The FDA has been collecting and receiving reports of adverse ephedra side effects since 1994, and in a September 1994 FDA Medical Bulletin, the agency reported the number was increasing. The reported reactions varied from mild ephedra side effects to very serious conditions including:

nervousness

dizziness

tremor

alternations in blood pressure or heart rate

headache

gastrointestinal distress

chest pain

myocardial infarction

hepatitis

stroke

seizures

pyschosis

death

QUOTE(Steff @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 05:46 PM)
Bad news..

I took "Yellow Jackets" a couple of times in college(because I was sick of passing out before 4 in the morning and missing all the funny stuff), and I can tell you that the result was not worth the risk. I felt off, nervous, I grinded my teeth, never felt comfortable, and felt my heart racing.

I have no doubt in my mind that ephedra messes with your heart, i dont need a doctor to tell me its bad.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 04:51 PM)
I took "Yellow Jackets" a couple of times in college(because I was sick of passing out before 4 in the morning and missing all the funny stuff), and I can tell you that the result was not worth the risk.  I felt off, nervous, I grinded my teeth, never felt comfortable, and felt my heart racing. 

I have no doubt in my mind that ephedra messes with your heart, i dont need a doctor to tell me its bad.

I'm guilty of taking some suppliments with ephedra a few years ago.. I remember I was jittery for hours. And I took less than the recommended doseage. Lord.. I would have been flying - literally - if I took as much as they said to. :ph34r:

QUOTE(Steff @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 05:53 PM)
I'm guilty of taking some suppliments with ephedra a few years ago.. I remember I was jittery for hours. And I took less than the recommended doseage. Lord.. I would have been flying - literally - if I took as much as they said to.  :ph34r:

Back when you could get it OTC and everyone thought it was great? Yeah, thats when I had it too. Then athletes started dropping like flies and it suddenly stopped being sold in between the "Get Harder, LONGER" pills and Bic lighters. the good old days ;)

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 06:41 PM)
I know for a fact he did take a drug and that is part of what caused his heart troubles.

:huh:

Let me apologize in advance, but...

You make some of the stupidest comments on here.

Edit: What I meant is that you need to back up such a baseless claim with some sort of reliable source to give what you say any sort of validity. You did not even attempt to give some sort of explanation, reasoning, or logic for your claim.

Edited by SleepyWhiteSox

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 05:55 PM)
:huh:

Let me apologize in advance, but...

You make some of the stupidest comments on here.

The Athletic Trainer was invited into the Bulls locker room because he knows their Trainer and he saw a bottle of a drug that helps you shed weight. This helped cause the heart problems that he has had. I don't recall exactly what the drug's name is except that it is a pill and it starts with an O. I will ask the trainer about it at school.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 05:41 PM)
I know for a fact he did take a drug and that is part of what caused his heart troubles.

Be funny if by chance someone with curry was reading this ( not gonna happen) and they sued you for such an outlandish comment.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 06:29 PM)
i did.

This:

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 06:23 PM)
The Athletic Trainer was invited into the Bulls locker room because he knows their Trainer and he saw a bottle of a drug that helps you shed weight.  This helped cause the heart problems that he has had.  I don't recall exactly what the drug's name is except that it is a pill and it starts with an O.  I will ask the trainer about it at school.

Is hardly backing your claim.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 06:31 PM)
This:

Is hardly backing your claim.

you know what i don't care if you believe me or not. In fact I don't give a f*** what you think about me or anything? I get good grades, I have a good life, I have a great girlfriend, and a lot of friends. So Steff, Kalapse, qwerty, and the rest of you guys who try to make my life miserable. You aren't. If you don't like me ignore me. However please stop trying to personally attack me everytime i have a thought. Because it doesn't bother me. It just shows stupid you guys are being. Edited by White Sox Josh

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 06:36 PM)
you know what i don't care if you believe me or not.  In fact I don't give a f*** what you think about me or anything?  I get good grades, I have a good life, I have a great girlfriend, and a lot of friends.  So Steff, Kalapse, qwerty, and the rest of you guys  who try to make my life miserable.  You aren't.

:sleep

Alright dougly junior.

Edited by qwerty

QUOTE(knightni @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 06:40 PM)
So, I WAS right.

It WAS gym class.

sort of. It was assembly day where everybody went had 3 periods in a day and you saw 3 presentations. I went to the presenations about Hip Hop, A presentation called Pimps & Hoes, and Sports Nutrition. I learned about this in Sports Nutrition part. Than we had a BBQ and talked about the presentation and went home an hour early.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 07:46 PM)
sort of.  It was assembly day where everybody went had 3 periods in a day and you saw 3 presentations.  I went to the presenations about Hip Hop, A presentation called Pimps & Hoes, and Sports Nutrition.  I learned about this in Sports Nutrition part.  Than we had a BBQ and talked about the presentation and went home an hour early.

Do you realize how unbelievably hilarious and off the wall everything you have said in succession in this thread is?

I cannot say anything more.