SI Sportsman of the year

rventura23

OK.... Ready......Set.......React!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/maga...ambi/index.html

By Franz Lidz

In his book, Attack Poodles and Other Media Mutants, James Wolcott mulls the onslaught of angry TV news personalities who yap and nip rather than inform the public. Armed with phony indignation, ridicule and pious smarminess, these great canine packs pose as our nation's moral guardians. Lately the sports pages, too, have been stuffed with shrill, self-righteous assaults by writers who see themselves as auxiliary police of opinion.

In 2005, no sports figure was more vilified than Jason Giambi. After the San Francisco Chronicle published excerpts of his grand jury testimony -- in which he admitted taking steroids and human growth hormone -- the media painted him as the Hester Prynne of East 161st Street.

Because Giambi failed to meet his exacting standard of moral rectitude, a wag at the New York Post barked: "He has disgraced the Yankee pinstripes and made a mockery of everything that is wonderful and good and pure about the game of baseball." To restore the Pride of the Yankees, a Post columnist even suggested that the Yanks embroider a scarlet "S" for steroids on the back of his jersey.

Outside of Manhattan, the dogs were in full attack mode. The Baltimore Sun woofed: "Baseball should ban Giambi. Expel him. Void his contract. Whatever."

The Journal News of Westchester growled: "The Yankees have to fire Jason Giambi, no matter what his union says. Cut him, waive him, make him go away."

To his credit, Giambi never engaged his critics. He neither pointed fingers (Rafael Palmiero, anyone?) nor attempted to downplay the enormity of his actions. At a preseason press conference, he apologized to the public and said he had told the truth to the grand jury. Of all the players called to testify, he may have been the only one who was entirely honest and forthcoming.

The most remarkable thing about Giambi was the way he excelled under withering pressure. In 2004, under treatment for a pituitary tumor, he had the worst season of his career. After an horrendous start in '05, he reinvented himself in July by hitting a major league-best 14 home runs. Giambi wound up with 32 homers and 87 RBIs, and led the American League with a .440 on-base percentage. Then he hit .421 in the ALCS.

His comeback did not silence his detractors in the sporting press, for whom forgiveness has no place. They're more interested in drawing blood than allowing a fallen athlete the possibility of a second chance. But aren't second chances what make sports so inspiring in the first place?

I didnt realize that Giambi hit so well in the ALCS. Did he get traded to the Angels while they were flying to Chicago? ;)

He is a class act. I mean he may have taken an illegal substance and disgraced the game, his team and the fans but hell he came clean and now we know with 110% certainty that he's putting up his current numbers steroid free.

Oh yeah, he never actually tested positive.

Jason Giambi, a true hero. :notworthy

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 04:35 PM)
He is a class act. I mean he may have taken an illegal substance and disgraced the game, his team and the fans but hell he came clean and now we know with 110% certainty that he's putting up his current numbers steroid free.

Jason Giambi, a true hero. :notworthy

You know how to use green right?

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 04:35 PM)

I'm pretty sure this is true. He admitted he took them - if you believe the GJ leak (I do)- but never tested positive that I read.

Giambi and Romanowski should both be SI sportsman of the year and sportsman of the century(respectively). if these guys can take roids and get away with it amid heavy media criticism, and then admit it later then that makes them great guys in my book. They have my nomination.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 05:50 PM)
Hasn't Moyer done a lot for Seattle.  I remember him being winning the Roberto Clemente Award a couple times.  I think he should get it.

Im trying to figure out what exactly are the qualifications of SMOTY. i think the clemente award is more of a work within the community award, and SMOTY is more of a "inspirational" award, ie. he had a fantastic year AND cured the worlds illnesses.

I dont think Moyer had a year in which he could be considered for this type of an award.

QUOTE(Steff @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 04:51 PM)
I wasn't sure if he really hadn't tested positive, but just admitted usage.

Yeah, he just admitted that he took some s*** that he got from Balco during his grand jury testimony. He never actually tested positive.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 04:54 PM)
Im trying to figure out what exactly are the qualifications of SMOTY.  i think the clemente award is more of a work within the community award, and SMOTY is more of a "inspirational" award, ie. he had a fantastic year AND cured the worlds illnesses. 

I dont think Moyer had a year in which he could be considered for this type of an award.

Teddy Bruschi

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 05:57 PM)
Yeah, he just admitted that he took some s*** that he got from Balco during his grand jury testimony. He never actually tested positive.

well yeah, all of the stuff developed by Balco was designed so it would not appear on drug tests. Of course he didnt test positive. ;)

Oh man rofl.

Giambi = a likeable guy, i mean come on - im serious, he took steriods just like anyone wud take a drug (thinking of the positives and not the negatives) he admitted he did it, and plays it the best he can. Hes truely a GREAT guy, and im happy for him

However...

He shud be nowhere near comeback player of the year awards, or sportsman of the year. theres much better, fairer, up-and-coming stars rather then him.