Miguel Olivo

SS Gload

Anybody know what his situation is these days? I'm pretty sure I last saw him with the padres, and was wondering what are the possiblities of bringing him back as a backup catcher. I know he had some troubles hitting and calling pitches, but he's a good guy and I hated to see him go. :gosox1:

Padres extend offers to Giles, Hoffman

San Diego hopes to keep right fielder and closer in the mix

Zeroing in on Trevor Hoffman and Brian Giles as their principal priorities, the Padres' management team has extended initial contract offers to their closer and right fielder with the hopes of keeping both valuable performers in the fold.

"They are our focus right now -- not that we're overlooking our other [potential] free agents," Padres general manager Kevin Towers said.

Towers and club president Sandy Alderson met with Hoffman and two of his representatives on Thursday night. An offer was delivered to Giles over the phone, Towers said.

"They kind of know where we're at, and we'll see where it goes from here," Towers said.

It is believed catcher Ramon Hernandez will command more in the free agent market than the Padres are willing to pay. Miguel Olivo, who performed superbly when Hernandez was sidelined with a wrist injury, is primed to move in as a regular, and the team's best position prospect, George Kottaras, is probably a year away from making the club.

Third baseman Joe Randa is another free agent candidate. Randa, who will be 36 next season and lives in Kansas City, provided solid defense and offensive punch after arriving from Cincinnati at the trade deadline in exchange for a pair of Minor League pitchers.

The Padres have a two-week exclusive window to make offers to their free agents. Other clubs can speak with them in general terms, but are not allowed to discuss specifics in terms of money or length of contracts.

The construction of the 2006 Padres will hinge in large part, Towers said, on the status of Hoffman and Giles. If both sign, as hoped, the signing of a big-ticket free agent is much less likely.

Also under discussion by Alderson, Towers and the staff are the contracts of versatile veteran Eric Young and middle reliever Akinori Otsuka. The team holds options on both players.

With Damian Jackson signing with the Nationals, no decision yet on Young, and Mark Sweeney and Robert Fick eligible for free agency, the Padres figure to be in the market for versatile bench players -- which could lead them to discussions about newly christened World Series hero Geoff Blum.

Dealt to the White Sox at midseason, Blum won the marathon Game 3 with a homer. The veteran infielder, a vital cog in the machinery during the Padres' 22-6 May run to first place in the National League West, lives in San Clemente with his wife and four young daughters, including 5-month-old triplets.

"We talked about that when he left," Towers said, asked about the possibility of Blum returning to the Padres. "But it's still so early in the process. We'll see who's filing [for free agency], who's available. We'll be looking for veteran-type infielders who can play multiple positions, and he fits that description."

There will be no compensation for the Nationals' signing of Jackson.

Also eligible for free agency from the 2005 Padres roster are pitchers Pedro Astacio, Rudy Seanez and Chris Hammond.

Towers said the club is hopeful of naming coaches to replace departed Rob Picciolo and Davey Lopes in the next week or two. Candidates from within the organization are being interviewed and considered.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article...t=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Edited by rangercal

Seems like so long ago that Miguel Olivo was traded in the FG package. I can hardly remember him in a Sox uniform. Some other catcher has made me forget him and make him a long, distant memory.

I love Big Mo...but after putting up an .830 OPS in San Diego over about a month and a half of playing time or so, you are not going to trade for him.

I also think he's a horrible backup catcher. A good backup catcher, to me, is just a guy that is all around knowledgable about the game, has been around the league a few times, and is solid defensively. Big Mo is about none of that.