University Questions

sox4lifeinPA

anyone know much about any of the following colleges? Nice town? good music scene? cheap housing? good school? Proximity to US Cellular field (in the case of Illinois schools)

Michigan St

Ohio St

U of Illinios Urbana

U of Georgia

So Illinois Carbondale

Eastern Illinois

Benedictine U

U of Kentucky

Loyola U Chicago

Illinois St

Stony Brook

Hunter college

Thanks in advance

U of I:

Great academic school, especially in engineering and business.

Housing isn't exactly cheap, neither is tuition, but i wouldn't say it's expensive compared to others.

Town is pretty normal, general college town.

I've had friends at several of these.

Illinois State in Bloomington-Normal is nice. A couple posters here went there. A buddy from Middle School and the God Father to my oldest lives there. He really likes the town and the area.

Southern ~ I was only there for Halloween. Enjoyed it.

Loyola is very urban. If you want a city life, this would fit the bill.

UoI, huge school. I never really cared for the campus when I visited, seems too spread out and difficult to get around. I imagine that would change if you live there.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 09:20 AM)
Aww man, not coming back to Texas?

:lol:

A&M is on the list :)

We may end up permanently in CS, but we'll see. I figured moving to Chi-town would legitimize my sox fan-dome. And I could stalk mike like I've always dreamed of....

U of Kentucky -

Positives: Very nice city (Lexington), good college sports except Football; stellar academics depending on what type of program you are looking for. Don't know much about the music scence. Also, MASSES of hot girls, which won't apply much to you.

Negatives:

Bars close way too early (1am). Not the best location for a campus IMO.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 09:39 AM)
U of Kentucky -

Positives:  Very nice city (Lexington), good college sports except Football; stellar academics depending on what type of program you are looking for.  Don't know much about the music scence.  Also, MASSES of hot girls, which won't apply much to you.

Negatives:

Bars close way too early (1am).  Not the best location for a campus IMO.

This one is also high on my list. The tuition and living expenses seem considerably lower than the rest on our list. As for music, I would imagine I could catch some good country and blue grass. (keep the groans to youself :lol: )

Bars, babes, and such are a none factor because we'll be getting married prior to our moving.

illinois st: i liked normal. unpretentious, for a college town. music scene not so good--everyone was basically an uncle tupelo knockoff or a s***ty jam band. the best show that came through in my four years there was digital underground (although beck played with red red meat there the semester before i arrived). housing was cheap when i was there (graduated '01), but i guess i dunno what you're comparing it to. good school? ISU = I Screwed Up. affectionately, of course. i mean, there were a couple of worthwhile people on the faculty for what i studied, but it's not looked at as a prestigious school. dunno how much value you put on prestige.

and it's too far from comiskey. couple of hours. guess that's better than southern, anyway.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 09:39 AM)
U of Kentucky -

Positives:  Very nice city (Lexington), good college sports except Football; stellar academics depending on what type of program you are looking for.  Don't know much about the music scence.  Also, MASSES of hot girls, which won't apply much to you.

Negatives:

Bars close way too early (1am).  Not the best location for a campus IMO.

Good call there. I'd have that on my short list.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 01:13 AM)
anyone know much about any of the following colleges? Nice town? good music scene? cheap housing? good school? Proximity to US Cellular field (in the case of Illinois schools)

Michigan St

Ohio St

U of Illinios Urbana

U of Georgia

So Illinois Carbondale

Eastern Illinois

Benedictine U

U of Kentucky

Loyola U Chicago

Illinois St

Stony Brook

Hunter college

Thanks in advance

I lived in Carbondale for 8 years, you could ask me anything you want about it.

I loved the town, but it isnt a place to raise a kid, thats for sure

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 10:39 AM)
A&M is on the list :) 

We may end up permanently in CS, but we'll see.  I figured moving to Chi-town would legitimize my sox fan-dome. And I could stalk mike like I've always dreamed of....

Just watch out, it is awful crowded in my bushes... :ph34r:

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 12:13 AM)

Michigan St

Ohio St

U of Illinios Urbana

U of Georgia

So Illinois Carbondale

Eastern Illinois

Benedictine U

U of Kentucky

Loyola U Chicago

Illinois St

Stony Brook

Hunter college

Thanks in advance

My mom told me that they have a great communications program. One of my teachers went to Eastern Illinois and he said it's a pretty small school but you get a lot more personal attention.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 01:45 PM)
My mom told me that they have a great communications program.  One of my teachers went to Eastern Illinois and he said it's a pretty small school but you get a lot more personal attention.

SIU has a great Media/Communications program, also a top notch Auto school, Flight school, and Forestry program.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 06:13 AM)

Michigan St

Ohio St

U of Illinios Urbana

U of Georgia

So Illinois Carbondale

Eastern Illinois

Benedictine U

U of Kentucky

Loyola U Chicago

Illinois St

Stony Brook

Hunter college

Thanks in advance

Why wasn't DePaul on the list? Scores high in student satisfaction every year!

Excellent Computer, Accounting and Theater departments.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 12:45 PM)
My mom told me that they have a great communications program.  One of my teachers went to Eastern Illinois and he said it's a pretty small school but you get a lot more personal attention.

judging jsut from all the people i know that go to eastern........it's a last resort, the ultimate safety school.

QUOTE(J-MAN @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 01:01 PM)
Why wasn't DePaul on the list?  Scores high in student satisfaction every year!

Excellent Computer, Accounting and Theater departments.

Because Miss PA is getting her PhD in Nutrition....

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 01:44 PM)
What grad progam does she want to go into? That might make the school search a whole different ballgame. . .

good question, but that's how we came up with this list. The ADA has certain schools approved for 5th year internships, with many of them coupled with MS's, MPH's, or PhD's in Nutrition. Of the 260 programs, many of which don't offer degree programs, we found 18. (I didn't list all of them.)

I would suppose this question was difficult to begin with because the difference between an undergraduate's college experience and graduate level is often times quite significant. soxy, you're amongst a minority of people on the site that would have some insight on this. Do you have many friends that are married while in grad school? my best friend and his wife and my parents all had this experience.