University Questions

sox4lifeinPA

Hey, what am I? Chopped liver? :lol:

Doing an MBA is different then grad school for a PhD.

Graduate school is so much different then undergrad - and often times the demographic is a LOT different. Older to younger, good cross section of women and men, and married and not.

One thing that I find personally interesting is most of the people that are going through the MBA in my program are divorced or never married.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 02:20 PM)
Hey, what am I?  Chopped liver?  :lol:

Doing an MBA is different then grad school for a PhD.

Graduate school is so much different then undergrad - and often times the demographic is a LOT different.  Older to younger, good cross section of women and men, and married and not.

One thing that I find personally interesting is most of the people that are going through the MBA in my program are divorced or never married.

Hey, captain A hole, I said she was in the minority. If you so desire to put yourself in the minority, then do so. but he might bum a smoke off of you afterwards....

At A&M I had a lot of friends that were married and the husband or wife was finishing their grad work. I think it's gonna be a blast. Miss PA just has to take her GREs and then we'll be set. I only hope she gets a 2200 hundred like my buddy did. (I'm aware they changed the scoring system in the last couple years, thansk :) )

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 02:26 PM)
Hey, captain A hole, I said she was in the minority. If you so desire to put yourself in the minority, then do so. but he might bum a smoke off of you afterwards....

At A&M I had a lot of friends that were married and the husband or wife was finishing their grad work. I think it's gonna be a blast. Miss PA just has to take her GREs and then we'll be set. I only hope she gets a 2200 hundred like my buddy did. (I'm aware they changed the scoring system in the last couple years, thansk :) )

hiccup.. :cheers

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 03:50 PM)
good question, but that's how we came up with this list. The ADA has certain schools approved for 5th year internships, with many of them coupled with MS's, MPH's, or PhD's in Nutrition. Of the 260 programs, many of which don't offer degree programs, we found 18. (I didn't list all of them.)

I would suppose this question was difficult to begin with because the difference between an undergraduate's college experience and graduate level is often times quite significant.  soxy, you're amongst a minority of people on the site that would have some insight on this. Do you have many friends that are married while in grad school?  my best friend and his wife and my parents all had this experience.

A few of my friends are currently married in grad school. I would say it's about 40-60 (married-single) and that proportion increases as the program wears on. But I think it also is different in the TYPE of program your in.

I'm a little biased in that I think that professional graduate degrees (MBAs, MSW, PT, and yes, PsyD) it would be much easier to balance a married life with the rigors of grad school. I think though in the more "academic" grad programs it's a lot harder to balance out the family stuff with school (there's three people in my 40 person program with kids). And I know it's difficult for them, and one of them switched to half time. So, I think that's definitely a conversation you two should have with each other and the different programs to decide if you want to take the whole grad school thing or temper it down with a professional program.

Jim, did you do your PhD while married?

QUOTE(J-MAN @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 01:01 PM)
Why wasn't DePaul on the list?  Scores high in student satisfaction every year!

Excellent Computer, Accounting and Theater departments.

Well yeah. In student satisfaction, I think it was number one overall just a year or two ago. I heard the actual programs are no better than DePaul except for the Arts, especially for Orchestra and Theater. Basically what you are paying for is the location of the campuses(Lincoln Park and Downtown Chicago), the fact that it's a private school, and the fact that it ranks so highly in student satisfaction.

I've heard this from many DePaul students including my uncle who gave me the most insight on the school. And he graduated from it. He said he felt he could've gotten the same education for cheaper at UIC, but probably a not so lovey dovey atmosphere like DePaul offers. Currently he works for Aon.

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 04:42 PM)
check out UIC. Great business dept (imo better than Champaign) and you are real close to US Cellular. Cheap school, housing can be pricey, fun neighborhood and best of all.. you are in Chicago. (The world's your oyster!!!)

what is UIC?

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 04:50 PM)
what is UIC?

University of Illinois - Chicago. Some of the programs are as good as UoI-Champaign and it's a lot cheaper. Housing is expensive though. I think you would be better off living in your own apartment if you go to UIC. All of my friends that I go to school with tell me it's cheaper than to dorm cas I was once thinking about dorming.

Good thing is you're basically in downtown (a block if you want to get technical). Will Ferrell and Dustin Hoffman recently filmed a movie here in the Spring. You'll have easy access to the Cell as well and the United Center and a trip to the lakefront would be a 10 min trip on public transportation.

UIUC:

Good education especially for engineering. I'm a huge fan of the Cinema Studies and History departments. Campus is very large which is nice but when you get settled in with your major, you end up seeing the same people a bazillion times. Huge Greek system so trying to live outside of that can be a pain at times. Lots of campus bars and pretty big parties -- lots of fratty frat drunks on the weekends which can make for hilariousness or annoyance depending on how one feels about that sort of thing.

Pretty good sized Christian presence (since I know you care about that sort of stuff) and they get pretty involved with actually doing things on campus like giving out free Pop-Tarts, talking with people etc.

Lots of good music comes through, really good community stuff (speakers, etc.) and a lot of good restaurants and things within a few minutes drive.