What Do You Expect?

Heads22

I think this would be a neat idea to have on here. Every once in awhile, we start a new WDYE thread for one of our prospects. Could be a good way to get to know some about our prospects not named Anderson, Owens, McCarthy or Young. Unless you are into that sort of thing. :P

Anywho, what do you guys see Felix doing this year? Will he start out in AAA yet again? Will he be moved? Is he our 7th starter?

I think he will be one of those guys that can be packaged in a trade. He will not make the majors with the Sox unless there are some serious injuries. I feel confident that I can say the same about Munoz, but he could end up having a great spring and earning a shot. Munoz is still young and being a lefty helps.

That said Diaz and Munoz have serious competition, most specifically Sean Tracey and Daniel Haigwood. Both have far better arms and better stuff, imo.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 06:14 PM)
I think he will be one of those guys that can be packaged in a trade.  He will not make the majors with the Sox unless there are some serious injuries.  I feel confident that I can say the same about Munoz, but he could end up having a great spring and earning a shot. Munoz is still young and being a lefty helps. 

That said Diaz and Munoz have serious competition, most specifically Sean Tracey and Daniel Haigwood.  Both have far better arms and better stuff, imo.

After Gio Gonzalez dominates at Birmingham the first half of next year, he'll be the surefire No. 1 pitching prospect in the Sox organization, if he's not already. I've got him No. 1 on my overall prospect list.

As for Diaz, he had his shot, albeit not a very fair one by some estimations, but his time with the Sox on the ML roster is over. Perhaps he could be a piece in an offseason deal or just another guy who ends up in a meaningless trade.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 04:19 PM)
After Gio Gonzalez dominates at Birmingham the first half of next year, he'll be the surefire No. 1 pitching prospect in the Sox organization, if he's not already.  I've got him No. 1 on my overall prospect list.

You still counting Brandon as a prospect or no?

Raw talent I'd put Gio up against McCarthy.

Look at his filthy numbers.

Plus he is a lefty.

My main concern is health.

This season overall:

13-6, 2.82 era, 131 innings, 163 K's, 8 HR, 47 walks, .205 avg against, 97 hits allowed, 4 wild pitches

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 05:35 PM)
Raw talent I'd put Gio up against McCarthy.

Look at his filthy numbers.

Plus he is a lefty.

My main concern is health.

This season overall:

13-6, 2.82 era, 131 innings, 163 K's, 8 HR, 47 walks, .205 avg against, 97 hits allowed, 4 wild pitches

Health is going to be the main concern with Gio forever.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 08:32 PM)
I still give Haig the nod, but I'm higher than Haigwood than most.  Plus I think Gonzo has a little more to prove to me health wise.  That said, he has very good stuff and polish for a kid his age.

Health is a close issue between Haigwood & Gio. Haigwood missed all of 2003 with an injury.

Haigwood's command is his biggest issue. If he could drop his walks by 30%, I'd agree he's a better prospect than Gio. But unless an until then, Gio is better in my books.

That said, they are both pretty similar type prospects.

Haigwood's injury was a knee injury though. Nothing to do with his arm, IIRC. It was a rough injury though, but one that he's fully recovered for. He doens't put near the stress on his arm that Gio does.

That said, Gio hasn't had any serious arm injuries, although he's had some nagging ones as well as some rib cage injuries (which is what I think hampered Odalis Perez).

Gio does have good stuff though and the ability to excel in AA with his poise, stuff, and control. I like his cocky mentality.

Is Felix still on the 40-man? If so, it would not surprise me in the least if he is removed and lost to free agency or waivers. I'm making the assumption here that he would be a six year free agent if he clears waivers. Too damned lazy to look it up. :)

If Felix is still with the Sox, he is nothing more than a AAA pitcher that could provide possible insurance should injuries beset the Sox pitching staff.

Oh yeah........ As Jason said, Haigwood's injury was not "baseball" related. He torn either an ACL or an MCL, (or some CL lol). He was 100% healthy and the injury had no effect on his pitching. It was tough to lose him for a year, but he seems to have made up for the lost time.

I too am very high on him. I'll wait until I see Gio throw in AA before comparing the two, but he will have to be awfully good to top what Haigwood showed this year.