I have new found faith!

mreye

I lost my wallet on the train this morning. After calling South Shore and Metra, walking down to the last two stations and checking every garbage can between here and there...my wife was on the phone at home cancelling our credit cards when the call waiting beeped in. It was the collector - he had my wallet! He left his home number and I called it - Bingo! All the money was in there too. I though it was around $160 - He corrected me - $176!

I wonder why he took it home instead of dropping it at the lost & found. Maybe he was expecting a "reward", or didn't trust the lost and found people? Either way, I'm very happy! :)

Now, how much should I give him?

QUOTE(mreye @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 02:12 PM)
I lost my wallet on the train this morning. After calling South Shore and Metra, walking down to the last two stations and checking every garbage can between here and there...my wife was on the phone at home cancelling our credit cards when the call waiting beeped in. It was the collector - he had my wallet! He left his home number and I called it - Bingo! All the money was in there too. I though it was around $160 - He corrected me - $176!

I wonder why he took it home instead of dropping it at the lost & found. Maybe he was expecting a "reward", or didn't trust the lost and found people? Either way, I'm very happy!  :)

Now, how much should I give him?

Depends on what you feel is fair. Personally I would give him half of the cash or more, considering how much of your personal info and credit information is probably in your wallet, and the amount of hassle he is saving you.

Everyone is different though

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 01:21 PM)
Wow, you are one lucky dude.  I don't know how much I would give, but you definately need to buy your conductor lunch or something.  Any idea who it was?

Ron Avalos (sp) - Young guy on the early train - the first train.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 01:24 PM)
Excellent.  BTW my condolences for being on the tombs this morning.  The only thing that train is good for is sleeping  :sleep

The were a couple of shady characters in the double seat across from me. While I was reading, I could see them keep glancing over at me. I thought for sure that they had seen me drop it and were waiting for me to get off. I thought it was gone - no doubt.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 01:28 PM)
Very nice to see some honesty out there.  As far as the reward, just for avoiding the hassle of replacing credit cards and a trip to the DMV for a new license I'd figure that's worth at least fifty bucks or so.  But that's completely your call.

I know it's my call, I'm asking your opinion, damnit! ;)

I was thinking $50. Like you said, the credit cards, license, etc are the important things.

QUOTE(mreye @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 01:39 PM)
I know it's my call, I'm asking your opinion, damnit!  ;)

I was thinking $50. Like you said, the credit cards, license, etc are the important things.

I lost my purse at Jewel once with a couple hundred bucks in it.. I gave half in a nice thank you card.

QUOTE(mreye @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 02:24 PM)
Mike, you need to put something on the PwP about it!

I keep telling you, write it up and I will put it up there... I actually have to sort of work for a living now!!

QUOTE(Steff @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 02:57 PM)
The guy that runs that site is a lazy bastard..  nothing new in days. I need my muggle fix!!!  :lol:

I miss the Gorditas :crying:

get this, similar story:

was leaving the shoot for the movie i was an extra in at Soldier Field. i was talking on the phone and then i got to the bus, then to the el. while on the el i realized i no longer had my phone. i was like "oh s*** my phone's gone". and i'd resigned myself to that.

a good friend of mine said she'd try and call my phone to see if someone answered. she called a billion times but no luck. then at 6:30 the next morning she gets a call from my phone and a deep voice says: 'hey - i've got your phone'.

they talk for a bit and we find his name is Lamingo... yeah... Lamingo. he lives south of the 95th/Dan Ryan stop and me being a skinny white kid from iowa... not gonna lie, didnt wanna go down there.

then at like 7am my mom called my phone expecting me to pick up. well she was in for a bit of a surprise. eventually after talking with this dude while scared out of her mind, they decide that he'll drop it off at a sprint store in hyde park which he did a couple days later.

the dude didnt have to go out of his way like that but he did and i have my phone back which is amazing. but the really odd part - is this random guy from south south chicago knew my area code and actually had been planning a trip to my FREAKING home town that weekend... in iowa... bizarre...

anyway just felt this kinda fit the topic

$50 to 1/2 seems fair to me. I would also check my cards for any charges first. Wouldn't that suck to give the guy a reward and find out he already "got his".

I was wondering why this seemed so strange, then I remembered y'all are up north where this sort of thing would be unusual. Down here in Texas, the guy would have dropped it by your house with a nice pecan pie or a beer. But that's because we use the death penalty and everyone is deterred from crime.