free agent wish list

mike12345

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 01:09 PM)
If we stand pat, we get passed.  Next year will be different then this year.

Minnesota will be better, and you know Cleveland is only going to improve (especially if they re-sign Millwood).

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 08:10 PM)
Minnesota will be better, and you know Cleveland is only going to improve (especially if they re-sign Millwood).

They gotta resign Millwood, Fatass, and Howry. If we could re-sign Paul, get rid of Damaso, add Myers :) or Eyre I'll take our team over theirs or Minny's, again.

QUOTE(bighurt2719 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 01:11 PM)
no but green berets hit bloop singles in the clutch and when they play first base it makes me laugh out loud

I love this, I really do. Timo's .220 average with RISP just oozes "Clutchiness".

QUOTE(South Side Fireworks Man @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 08:14 PM)
As long as this is a "wish" list, Hideki Matsui would be a nice upgrade over Carl.  If not, Carl is a free agent now...

Also, if Ozzie really wants to move Iguchi to the middle of the order, we could use a good number two hitter.  Furcal would fit the bill with Iguchi moving to DH, but he may be too overpriced which might knock the whole team payroll/team chemistry out of whack.

None of that is going to happen. We only have 2 holes to fill, DH and potential 1B. Both postions which need to filled with equal or greater production from a year ago. Iguchi will not be taken from his 2b position. I think Iguchi was trying to hit way too much for power and pull the ball this offseason and thats why he became way less productive than he used to. We need him as that #2 hitter. The real question is what do we do with Anderson/Borchard now, there is no place for them at AAA, but they need AB's. If Konerko and Thomas come back we have no holes, except for bench, If one or both dont we need to possible trade one or both of them to get guys like I mentioned before; Hillenbrand, Overbay, Tracy, Huff, Gibbons, etc.

I think the ideal situation would be keeping Konerko, a boneified 40 hr guy with a very good OBP, and picking up another guy to fill carl's void but with a higher Avg, OBP, and speed. Once again, one of the above mentioned should be good enough. AND WE HAVE MONEY TO SPEND!!!

Pods

Iguchi

Dye

Konerko

Overbay/Hillenbrand/Tracy/Gibbons

Rowand

AJ

Crede

Uribe

The only things I'd like to see us change are:

--DH bat who hits righties well (which may turn out to be Gload or Rogowski, doesn't have to be an FA necessarily). How key this is depends on how unhealthy Thomas is

--Another lefty reliever

We can put Hermy, Marte, and a variety of prospects on the block to acquire the above, particularly the DH, if necessary. if FT is out for 2006, we'll have a little more cash.

Other than that, I see nothing worth changing.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 09:09 PM)
If we stand pat, we get passed.  Next year will be different then this year.

Agreed. Plus when guys have career years, they dont call them career years for no reason. THEY ONLY HAPPEN ONCE. We need to shore up our weaknesses and add to our strengths, thats how winning teams keep winning. You see a player out there to add to the pen go for it. You find a better avg and obp guy to plug into the DH spot go for it. Paulie is too expensive and you can get equal if not better production out of someone else, go for it.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 02:33 AM)
Who had a career year, if I may ask?

This TEAM overcame its deficiencies rather well, often times because their pitching and defense overcame them.

That will continue to happen with this team. However, it won't win them another world title. That's my point.

If they add to strengths and get rid of weaknesses, we could be in for a good ride next fall, too.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 10:36 PM)
This TEAM overcame its deficiencies rather well, often times because their pitching and defense overcame them.

That will continue to happen with this team.  However, it won't win them another world title.  That's my point.

If they add to strengths and get rid of weaknesses, we could be in for a good ride next fall, too.

Point is, no Sox player had a career year. Which is what the post above this said.

Pitching and defense win. They will continue to win as long as we improve slightly on offense. This team needs no major overhauls as long as PK is retained.

Some posters around here will lead you to believe that we caught lightning in a bottle and we need to go out and trade for this guy or sign this guy. We don't.

We had the best record in the AL all year. It wasn't a fluke.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 10:29 PM)
The only things I'd like to see us change are:

--DH bat who hits righties well (which may turn out to be Gload or Rogowski, doesn't have to be an FA necessarily).  How key this is depends on how unhealthy Thomas is

--Another lefty reliever

We can put Hermy, Marte, and a variety of prospects on the block to acquire the above, particularly the DH, if necessary.  if FT is out for 2006, we'll have a little more cash.

Other than that, I see nothing worth changing.

Hermy and Marte have little, if any value FYI.

Marte is erratic as hell.

Hermy may not pitch next year or ever again due to the seriousness of his back injury.

Neither guy is a major chip in a trade.

Hermy and Marte have little, if any value FYI.

Marte is erratic as hell.

Hermy may not pitch next year or ever again due to the seriousness of his back injury.

Neither guy is a major chip in a trade.

Hermanson doesn't have much value at all because of his age, bad back, and lack of strikeouts. Marte still has a lot of value though, even with his bad year. He's a lefty and he has had great seasons in the past. Even though his WHIP was terrible this year, he still had a 10.77 K/9. He has great stuff and teams will look past a lot for a quality lefty. He also pitched well in the World Series, his last appearance of the year and what teams will most remember.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 02:38 AM)
Point is, no Sox player had a career year.  Which is what the post above this said.

Pitching and defense win.  They will continue to win as long as we improve slightly on offense.  This team needs no major overhauls as long as PK is retained.

Some posters around here will lead you to believe that we caught lightning in a bottle and we need to go out and trade for this guy or sign this guy.  We don't.

We had the best record in the AL all year.  It wasn't a fluke.

I said they caught lightning in a bottle. I'm not saying we make WHOLESALE changes, but I do think that we are going to have to get rid of one or two "important" pieces to upgrade.

The "lightning in the bottle" term - do you think that we will get 4 complete games in an ALCS again? That was, to me, lightning in a bottle. No, the team wasn't a fluke. 11-1 in the playoffs was. I think they still would have won, but I don't think that we were THAT much better then all the other teams out there. That's why I used the phrase. Hopefully that clarifies my points a little better.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 10:55 PM)
Hermanson doesn't have much value at all because of his age, bad back, and lack of strikeouts.  Marte still has a lot of value though, even with his bad year.  He's a lefty and he has had great seasons in the past.  Even though his WHIP was terrible this year, he still had a 10.77 K/9.  He has great stuff and teams will look past a lot for a quality lefty.  He also pitched well in the World Series, his last appearance of the year and what teams will most remember.

I believe he only pitched because he was a last resort in the WS and Buehrle had to come in and bail him out due to walks.

A common theme with Marte, walking guys and then someone else coming in to mop up his disaster.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 03:10 AM)
Here's the thing though Kap: When you can throw JC, Buehrle, Garland, and Garcia out there..hell Bmac might crack these top 4 next year, anyways when you have those starting pitchers you're going to have a legit shot to win it all every year.

I agree with that.

But I would like the offense to win some games too, on a consistent basis.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 11:05 PM)
I said they caught lightning in a bottle.  I'm not saying we make WHOLESALE changes, but I do think that we are going to have to get rid of one or two "important" pieces to upgrade.

The "lightning in the bottle" term - do you think that we will get 4 complete games in an ALCS again?  That was, to me, lightning in a bottle.  No, the team wasn't a fluke.  11-1 in the playoffs was.  I think they still would have won, but I don't think that we were THAT much better then all the other teams out there.  That's why I used the phrase.  Hopefully that clarifies my points a little better.

Wasn't referring specifically to you, but since you said it, I'll respond.

No we won't get 4 more complete games.

No we won't go 11-1 again.

But I don't think either of these things were flukes.

I don't think you go 11-1 as a fluke. You do it because you execute and play the game the right way. We did that most of the year. When we hit a tough spot, it was because our pitching was inconsistent and we didn't do the little things like moving the guy over, sac bunting, sac flys, good baserunning, catching the ball, etc.

Why would you get rid of "important pieces" to "upgrade"? We just won the series. What is there to upgrade? Also, I am not trying to be critical, I'd just like to hear what you would suggest or propose as an upgrade...

Edited by aboz56

I think that you have to upgrade your 3-4 part of the lineup. Someone will have to go that's of moderate value, such as a Rowand or even a Brian Anderson - who's got the talent - plus a good arm. Not B-Mac, but a good prospect... Baj, someone like that plus a Pollite kind of arm - for a OBP guy of .800 consistently.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 11:18 PM)
I think that you have to upgrade your 3-4 part of the lineup.  Someone will have to go that's of moderate value, such as a Rowand or even a Brian Anderson - who's got the talent - plus a good arm.  Not B-Mac, but a good prospect...  Baj, someone like that plus a Pollite kind of arm - for a OBP guy of .800 consistently.

I think Dye and Konerko were good in the 3 and 4 spot. (when that's how they were aligned, which wasn't until the end of the season when we caught fire.)

Too bad they weren't there all year.

I think Dye will have another great year if he hits in front of Paul.

This OBP stuff kills me.

Sabermetrics nor stats don't win.

Remember, only one stat matters: W

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 09:20 PM)
I think Dye and Konerko were good in the 3 and 4 spot. (when that's how they were aligned, which wasn't until the end of the season when we caught fire.)

Too bad they weren't there all year.

I think Dye will have another great year if he hits in front of Paul.

This OBP stuff kills me.

Sabermetrics nor stats don't win.

Remember, only one stat matters: W

I agree, but if we can find a guy with a .800 obp then I'm all for it. :P