free agent wish list

mike12345

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe he only pitched because he was a last resort in the WS and Buehrle had to come in and bail him out due to walks.

A common theme with Marte, walking guys and then someone else coming in to mop up his disaster.

Huh? He may have been the last resort out of the bullpen but he still pitched fairly well. Marte pitched 1.2 innings in Game 3 and allowed no hits, 2 walks, and struck out 3. Marte should have been the one to end Game 3 but Uribe made a bad error on a routine groundball which extended the inning for Buehrle to get one more out. Can't blame Marte for that.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 03:20 AM)
I think Dye and Konerko were good in the 3 and 4 spot. (when that's how they were aligned, which wasn't until the end of the season when we caught fire.)

Too bad they weren't there all year.

I think Dye will have another great year if he hits in front of Paul.

This OBP stuff kills me.

Sabermetrics nor stats don't win.

Remember, only one stat matters: W

We need CONSISTENCY from our lineup - that's what we all were screaming about all year. At least MORE consistency.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 11:22 PM)
Huh?  He may have been the last resort out of the bullpen but he still pitched fairly well.  Marte pitched 1.2 innings in Game 3 and allowed no hits, 2 walks, and struck out 3.  He was yanked for Buehrle after Uribe botched an easy grounder which Marte induced that would have ended the game.  Marte should have been the one to end Game 3 but Uribe made a bad error on a routine groundball which extended the inning for Buehrle to get one more out.

I watched the game.

And yes, he pitched good.

And yes, he was the last resort.

And yes, he walked more people as usual.

And yes, Uribe should have made the play. But he didn't.

Then our manager, the one who led us to an 11-1 playoff run, felt it was better to take him out and use Mark Buehrle, who had just pitched two days before, to get the final out.

Please don't defend Marte.

He was completely horrible the last half of the season. And that is being nice.

I watched the game.

And yes, he pitched good.

And yes, he was the last resort.

And yes, he walked more people as usual.

And yes, Uribe should have made the play.  But he didn't.

Then our manager, the one who led us to an 11-1 playoff run, felt it was better to take him out and use Mark Buehrle, who had just pitched two days before, to get the final out.

Please don't defend Marte.

He was completely horrible the last half of the season.  And that is being nice.

I'm not defending Marte on the entire season. He was awful. But in Game 3 of the World Series, he pitched fairly well. Bad defense tarnished his outing. Teams will remember how Marte pitched in crunch time in the World Series.

Edited by SSH2005

Marte post ASG:

5.03 era

1.83 WHIP

19 innings, 16 walks, 20 hits

I rest my case.

Also, he was giving up a hit an inning before the all-star game as well.

That is horrible for a relief pitcher, unless you are a mopup man, ala Jose Paniagua.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 09:38 PM)
Point is, no Sox player had a career year.  Which is what the post above this said.

Jon Garland - career best in wins, career best in ERA, career best in WHIP, career best in IP.

Jose Cotnreras - ditto Garland

Dustin Hermanson - career best ERA out of the pen, career best WHIP out of the pen

Neal Cotts - career best ERA, career best WHIP, career best damn near everything. I don't view his as much as a career year as much as I do a huge step in the right direction.

Cliff Politte - career best ERA and career best WHIP

Offensively...no one had a career year. That doesn't mean players didn't have career years

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 09:42 PM)
...Marte ha(s) little, if any value FYI.

Marte is erratic as hell.

Neither guy is a major chip in a trade.

Arthur Rhodes, making about $4 mill a year, coming off a horrible year, in his mid to late 30s, was part of a package for one of the more underrated catchers in the game, and was then traded for Roids Lawton, who was one of the best leadoff hitters in the NL for the first 4 months of the season, regardless of steroid use or not.

Marte's coming off a bad year...but he pitched huge in extras in game 3 of the World Series. He has an affordable contract, and is still relatively young.

LHP out of the pen, especially with the kind of stuff Marte has, are always, always, always very valuable.

Edited by witesoxfan

Marte post ASG:

5.03 era

1.83 WHIP

19 innings, 16 walks, 20 hits

I rest my case.

Also, he was giving up a hit an inning before the all-star game as well.

That is horrible for a relief pitcher, unless you are a mopup man, ala Jose Paniagua.

I know he was awful but that doesn't matter too much. Marte is a lefty. They will always have value, especially if they had great seasons in the past. Why do you think guys like Jeff Fassero and Terry Mulholland still have jobs in the MLB? Teams overvalue lefties. That's why Marte will still have trade value.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 09:29 PM)
Jon Garland - career best in wins, career best in ERA, career best in WHIP, career best in IP.

Dustin Hermanson - career best ERA out of the pen, career best WHIP out of the pen

Neal Cotts - career best ERA, career best WHIP, career best damn near everything.  I don't view his as much as a career year as much as I do a huge step in the right direction.

Offensively...no one had a career year.  That doesn't mean players didn't have career years

Arthur Rhodes, making about $4 mill a year, coming off a horrible year, in his mid to late 30s, was part of a package for one of the more underrated catchers in the game, and was then traded for Roids Lawton, who was one of the best leadoff hitters in the NL for the first 4 months of the season, regardless of steroid use or not.

Never heard of that Cotnreras dude but he'll even be better next season imo. I think Jon regresses a bit but still has an era under 4. If dustin is healthy he'll still be damn good, cliff scares me a bit going into next season so we'll have to see how that works out. Neal is a stud, period. Plus we're going to get a run or more off the era of our 5th starter this year, have Bobby Jenks for a full season, we WILL upgrade from Damaso, el duque is probably going to the pen where he proved he can be very effective. Even without any major changes if we sign Paul I think we can be better, no doubt in my mind.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 11:29 PM)

Neal Cotts - career best ERA, career best WHIP, career best damn near everything.  I don't view his as much as a career year as much as I do a huge step in the right direction.

Offensively...no one had a career year.  That doesn't mean players didn't have career years

Garland, still young, figured it out this year. Wasn't really hard for him to have a career year as he didn't really have much of a good year ever before, except in IP. Also, as Manuel's whipping boy, never gained confidence and had a hard time improving and working through things with such a short leash.

Contreras, figured out his command and how to use the forkball as a devastating weapon. Also escaped NY for his first full season and exceled majorly.

Dustin Hermanson, good the first half, helped us get our huge lead. Second half of the year and the playoffs was a non-factor. Will be a non-factor in 2006.

Neal Cotts, like you said, a step in the right direction. And he should get better.

Cliff Politte, career year, yes, something that can't be repeated? No.

When you look at these names, you don't think career year ala Esteban Loaiza in 2003. You think all of them have a good shot at doing similar in 2006, at least IMO.

Good point on Rhodes, but I still don't see us using Marte as a centerpiece in a deal.

Edited by aboz56

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 10:33 PM)
Never heard of that Cotnreras dude but he'll even be better next season imo.  I think Jon regresses a bit but still has an era under 4.  If dustin is healthy he'll still be damn good, cliff scares me a bit going into next season so we'll have to see how that works out.  Neal is a stud, period.  Plus we're going to get a run or more off the era of our 5th starter this year, have Bobby Jenks for a full season, we WILL upgrade from Damaso, el duque is probably going to the pen where he proved he can be very effective.  Even without any major changes if we sign Paul I think we can be better, no doubt in my mind.

I wasn't arguing about 2007 results...though I had a tidbit on Cotts. I was merely arguing guys that had the best years of their careers this year. That's all.

Never heard of that Cotnreras dude

Ya, STFU smartass :P

Hermanson's '05 WAS a fluke IMO. He operated on smoke and mirrors all year long. A lot of ppl hit him hard, just right at our fielders. He pitched just like Brandon Backe did against us: slider, slider, slider. That's all he's got folks. He has a good slider with location. I don't know how he kept it up for so long, but the league will adjust to him. In 2006, healthy or not, Hermanson is gonna get lit up if he's still with the Sox.

Hermanson's '05 WAS a fluke IMO.  He operated on smoke and mirrors all year long.  A lot of ppl hit him hard, just right at our fielders.  He pitched just like Brandon Backe did against us: slider, slider, slider.  That's all he's got folks.  He has a good slider with location.  I don't know how he kept it up for so long, but the league will adjust to him.  In 2006, healthy or not, Hermanson is gonna get lit up if he's still with the Sox.

I agree with this post. Hermanson was getting by on quite a few great defensive plays behind him on a lot of hard hit shots. His K/9 was terrible so he was mostly putting a ton of balls into play. I doubt he would repeat his 2005 numbers next year even with a 100% healthy back.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 09:51 PM)
I agree with this post.  Hermanson was getting by on quite a few great defensive plays behind him on a lot of hard hit shots.  His K/9 was terrible so he was mostly putting a ton of balls into play.  I doubt he would repeat his 2005 numbers next year even with a 100% healthy back.

Well we got a good defense so it's not a bad thing at all when people put balls in play.

Well we got a good defense so it's not a bad thing at all when people put balls in play.

There isn't always going to be a defender in the way of those hard hit shots that Hermanson gives up in the future. Those balls will begin to find holes and they started to at the end of the season.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 11:52 PM)
BJ Ryan, bar none.  Would strengthen our pitching staff immensely.

And according to Peter Gammons, cost around $8 million per season.

No thanks.

We already got enough Powder River heat with the man child Bobby Jenks.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 11:53 PM)
There isn't always going to be a defender in the way of those hard hit shots that Hermanson gives up in the future.  Those balls will begin to find holes and they started to at the end of the season.

See: Game three of the World Series.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 10:56 PM)
He would be a waste of money for us.  We need more offense now, not pitching.  Other than trading Marte and signing a lefty like Scott Eyre or Mike Myers and possibly trading El Duque, our pitching staff is pretty much set.

-this guy doesnt think it would be a waste of money. I think he would make the staff unbeatable, and I also think that we trade 1 of either marte or hermanson as well.